Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:06 PM

322 posts, read 504,580 times

Advertisements

With all the helpful advice I have been given by people on here, I have decided to start approaching women even though it is very hard as a introvert. However, there is a problem. I live in the Midwest. Most of the women here are taken, some are rude when you approach them. I'll be honest, when it comes to women I don't know what the hell I'm doing. And even if I manage to get a girlfriend what do I do next? My approach isn't that good either. I would approach a woman I don't know and ask them their name and if they have a boyfriend. It felt creepy but I don't know what to do at all besides ask a woman that. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 01:09 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbornnard View Post
With all the helpful advice I have been given by people on here, I have decided to start approaching women even though it is very hard as a introvert. However, there is a problem. I live in the Midwest. Most of the women here are taken, some are rude when you approach them. I'll be honest, when it comes to women I don't know what the hell I'm doing. And even if I manage to get a girlfriend what do I do next? My approach isn't that good either. I would approach a woman I don't know and ask them their name and if they have a boyfriend. It felt creepy but I don't know what to do at all besides ask a woman that. Any suggestions?
Don't do that.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Don't do that.
I stopped that after my first approach. It felt weird.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:14 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
Quote:
Yeah, don't ask their name and if they have a boyfriend. I've had guys do that to me and its an instant turn off. Look, its not a job interview, its a social activity. Start with small talk, make her laugh. Girls laugh at the same things as boys. If nothing else, its good practice in building confidence

Old 01-15-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Yeah, don't ask their name and if they have a boyfriend. I've had guys do that to me and its an instant turn off. Look, its not a job interview, its a social activity. Start with small talk, make her laugh. Girls laugh at the same things as boys. If nothing else, its good practice in building confidence
Sounds good. Maybe it will help be less awkward.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:19 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
You don't need a girlfriend if you don't know what to do with one. Think about it. What's the point?

My honest suggestion is for you to simply go back to whatever it is you normally do in life, earn a degree in something, get a job perhaps, find fun things to do that you enjoy, and treat everyone as kindly as possible.

Forget girlfriends for the time being. The midwest is a big place, there's no way all single women are taken. You're biting off too big of an idea. Work on your social skills instead. Learn how to carry on conversations with other people, old and young.

You may not believe it, but women will approach you if you're doing something interesting and look half decent. Maybe you should just wait and see.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
You don't need a girlfriend if you don't know what to do with one. Think about it. What's the point?

My honest suggestion is for you to simply go back to whatever it is you normally do in life, earn a degree in something, get a job perhaps, find fun things to do that you enjoy, and treat everyone as kindly as possible.

Forget girlfriends for the time being. The midwest is a big place, there's no way all single women are taken. You're biting off too big of an idea. Work on your social skills instead. Learn how to carry on conversations with other people, old and young.

You may not believe it, but women will approach you if you're doing something interesting and look half decent. Maybe you should just wait and see.
I'm actually in college pursuing a degree in business. I might be an introvert but I can talk to people.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:26 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Why don't you try to become more comfortable around strangers in general? Strike up conversations with people whenever or wherever it feels right. You will get used to the small talk, develop some confidence in your rapport-building skills and maybe even learn something or make new friends. The strangers around us can be fascinating people!

Before you know it you will find yourself in conversations with women naturally, because it is enjoyable for you, not because you hope to achieve some self-serving outcome (which will defeat you every time)

Old 01-15-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why don't you try to become more comfortable around strangers in general? Strike up conversations with people whenever or wherever it feels right. You will get used to the small talk, develop some confidence in your rapport-building skills and maybe even learn something or make new friends. The strangers around us can be fascinating people!

Before you know it you will find yourself in conversations with women naturally, because it is enjoyable for you, not because you hope to achieve some self-serving outcome (which will defeat you every time)
That would actually make good progress. I need to come out of my shell sometime, gotta start somewhere.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:36 PM

457 posts, read 605,159 times
Quote:
Where in the Midwest do you live out of curiosity. On the rare occasion I've cold approached, even if the body language indicated they were not particularly interested, most women have been nice about it. Then again, I haven't approached any women with a clear signal of disinterest, like a ***** face or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships