Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:03 PM

12 posts, read 13,966 times

Advertisements

So my GF and I are both 20 and have been dating for 6 years. I'm pretty studious and am currently trying to get a degree in Journalism from LIU-Brooklyn. I live at home simply because, I can get to school with ease and there's no point living in a dorm. My GF Nicki, is much much more good looking and more outgoing than me, very much a free spirit and always has been that way, very in the moment/go with the flow personality. She's always put her socializing over her studies, I'm not trying to sound like I'm reprimanding her, but that's just a fact. She graduated high school and decided she was done with school so now she has a job. I used to, I guess you'd say, party, when I was 16 or 17, but I got bored with it, because I never saw the point, I know that may seem kind of like a buzzkill, but I never saw the point of getting together with people, and drinking a bunch and taking " selfies". What's the point? I'm more of a conversation guy, a good time in my book, is just talking about anything and everything. Unless Nicki begs me, I won't go " party". On to my problem: She usually has the nights off so she goes out and parties five or six nights a week, goes to bed, goes to work, parties, repeat. I really want her to get a degree in something or even CC. I mean if she's fine waitressing for the next 50 years, that's cool, but I just want to see her make her life all it can be ( Oh God, I've become my mother ). I would like to marry her someday. Where do I go from here? Appreciate the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 07:11 PM

706 posts, read 1,206,724 times
Let her be who she wants to be and not what you want her to be.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,451,417 times
First post, seems legit. My opinion? You obviously don't have same brain waves right now. I actually am surprised that you are the guy in this scenario. It's usually the other way around.

Your priorities are obviously on the right track, your gf isn't. Now it's up to you if you are gonna wait for her to mature. It really should come from her to get her priorities straightened out.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 PM

12 posts, read 13,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
First post, seems legit. My opinion? You obviously don't have same brain waves right now. I actually am surprised that you are the guy in this scenario. It's usually the other way around.

Your priorities are obviously on the right track, your gf isn't. Now it's up to you if you are gonna wait for her to mature. It really should come from her to get her priorities straightened out.
So now its just a waiting game?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:29 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,965,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynKnight View Post
So now its just a waiting game?
No, it's not a waiting game. You should accept her for who she is and if you can't do that it is your problem. If you guys get along and she's faithful to you I don't see a problem. Let the poor girl live her life the way she wants instead of being forced into your view of "how life should be lived".

Just because you think you know what's best for someone doesn't mean that it is. Show your gf some respect, let her have her fun. If you can't deal with that then break up with her.

You want to go to college? So be it, but that doesn't mean she has to right now. You're not her dad and she doesn't have to live life like you do.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:29 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,240,398 times
I remember this exact same post from a few months ago.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:31 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,373,799 times
Good chance you both wont be together for very long, given your ages and the different paths you both are taking. jmo

Old 04-21-2014, 07:33 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,737,185 times
If you really care for her, then you won't try to change her.

It is surprising a guy like you is with a girl like her. Opposites really do attract. I am similar to you, I never went out to parties or liked to drink. I don't think their is a point in it either. I am little older than you (21). I hope your personality differences don't cause a problem in the future.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,965,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
If you really care for her, then you won't try to change her.

It is surprising a guy like you is with a girl like her. Opposites really do attract. I am similar to you, I never went out to parties or liked to drink. I don't think their is a point in it either. I am little older than you (21). I hope your personality differences don't cause a problem in the future.
I'm so glad I'm not at that age anymore.

As I reached my mid 20s, women started being more accepting about who you are instead of trying to control every little aspect of your life.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:47 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,737,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm so glad I'm not at that age anymore.

As I reached my mid 20s, women started being more accepting about who you are instead of trying to control every little aspect of your life.
Never really understood the point of trying to control and change people in a relationship. It defeats the whole purpose honestly......I don't think it really depends on age. Depends on the type of person you are with and the people you involve yourself with. I have honestly seen more controlling females in the their 20s, 30s, 40s, and so on. It all depends on the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships