Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:34 AM

90 posts, read 118,105 times

Advertisements

Let's say you make plans, but something's come up. So you call your SO and tell them the reason you can't make it. For example, let's say you can't make it because you feel tired or have a headache.

Now the question is, suppose your SO were a celebrity ...... would your headache/whatever be an adequate reason to cancel the date? Or would you rather take a pill in a desperate attempt to keep the date?

The answer to this question will reveal the amount of respect you have for your SO. And relationships are built upon respect first and foremost.

It is a good thought experiment, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 03:44 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
If I cant make it, it's for a good reason. Other than that, if I said I'll go, I'm going.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:57 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusss View Post
Now the question is, suppose your SO were a celebrity ...... would your headache/whatever be an adequate reason to cancel the date? Or would you rather take a pill in a desperate attempt to keep the date?
Well, I'm not dating her because she's a celebrity, so...that's irrelevent. How bad is my headache? Why am I so tired? Is my blood sugar low or something? I might power through it, I might not. Depends how bad it is, or how important the plans were to us/her. It would have to be pretty bad for me to cancel though.

Quote:
Meh.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:17 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Let's say you make plans, but something's come up. So you call your SO and tell them the reason you can't make it. For example, let's say you can't make it because you feel tired or have a headache.

The answer to this question will reveal the amount of respect you have for your SO. And relationships are built upon respect first and foremost.

This is a weird question. Personally, I don't like to see people during that time of the month. However, there are times when I carried on with plans anyway because I didn't want the person to think I was blowing them off. These weren't established relationships though. I would think if the person was actually my SO, they would be more understanding about me needing to cancel plans than someone I just met would be, so I would be more likely to cancel on them unless it was a really important event. It definitely doesn't have anything to do with me not respecting them, and the celebrity angle doesn't change anything.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:33 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I don't know about a celebrity, I don't care about them at all. Chances are, even if I had a date with a celeb... I wouldn't know it unless paparazzi came.

To further answer your question, I'd certainly put more effort into going on a date that I'm excited about. However, if something comes up, something comes up. I don't hold it against women and I don't expect them to hold it against me.. unless it's a recurring issue of course.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:34 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:

Really? You think that's a good "thought experiment"?

Oy vey.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:45 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
It shouldn't matter if they were a celebrity.

The question is, would they be willing to come and be with you/take care of you if you were ill?

Old 04-24-2014, 04:58 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Right. Who cares if someone is a celebrity? That's only important to the fans, not the SO.

The situation would be the same if your partner was a school principal, a store manager, a nurse or construction worker.

If it's important to your SO that you attend, then perhaps you should muster your strength and put on a good face. If it's not crucial, then stay home and rest. If you're terribly ill, then your partner should understand.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:09 AM

324 posts, read 407,662 times
I'm not gonna treat a celebrity any different from other people.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:17 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,526 times
Most celebrities biggest issue in relationships is finding someone who will treat them as a normal person. At least that's what they think they want, until someone does, then their spoiled, pompous attitude usually shines through. LOL

You seem to dread perhaps having to tell this person you might not be able to make it. That indicates you are idolizing this person and feaful they will reject you. And that is actually want they do not want. People who are wealthy and famous have had it all and they are numb to it. the one thing they most often want most, they cannot have. That being real and normal relationships. No money or fame can buy that. If you cannot make it due to illness, then don't make it. If they reject you because it, too bad, move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships