Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:28 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Well of course anyone with any sense disagrees with it most strongly .

But I am surprised to hear you have never heard of the idea, especially on this forum where so many guys say they would never marry a girl who makes more money than they do, etc.

For an idea of how prevalent it is in our culture, take a look at the studies that show how the very same girls do so much better in math, if they are moved to all-girl classes. Suddenly they don't have to pretend to be dumb.
Well, yeah, I've heard it in books from the 1950s. In current life, I've never heard any advice to pretend you are less smart. That's actually hilarious, and an insult to both men and women. Sorry, most of my girlfriends are pretty successful, and that's not something to hide.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 11:05 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What I've heard a lot from my geeky female friends is that there's a subset of geeky dudes, who, rather than thinking it's cool that a woman is into the stuff that they're into, get defensive and make the women prove that she really likes comic books or video games or science fiction, grilling her with questions and calling her names. So instead of making a connection, they completely put women off.
I've definitely encountered this before.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
But I am surprised to hear you have never heard of the idea, especially on this forum where so many guys say they would never marry a girl who makes more money than they do, etc.
there's a rational reason for men not wanting to pair up with higher-earning women.

but when you say that there's a:
Quote:
traditional role that says women should not be too smart or best guys at...
I think that's nonsense.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalmale18 View Post
If you think entitlement is a problem among socially awkward nerds (who women don't give the time of day to anyways) then it should be considered an EPIDEMIC among attractive young women whose entitlement actually affects the opposite sex.

Women are allowed that. Because, you know, they're entitled.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:46 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
How about being bullied by girls. From my personal experience in school, girls were far worse bullies than boys. Boys might play rough, but in the end many were able to come towards a friendly agreement. Girls who are bullies snicker and pass emotionally damaging comments behind a guys back. Has anyone here been hurt by this before and know how it feels. I HATE catty behavior and would rather prefer playing rough.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
This generation is so soft

Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
there's a rational reason for men not wanting to pair up with higher-earning women.

Uh, there is? I'm glad to be irrational. Most women I date earn 50% more than I do on average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post

Soft minds, soft bodies, soft souls. All around weak.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:04 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Yeah, so what. I cant keep fighting like rambo, if that's what you expect from all men.

Men have a softer side too you know, they just fail to admit it.

I openly expose my softer side, and keep my harder side in reserve. You will know my toughness when needed.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Uh, there is?
yup

Quote:
I'm glad to be irrational. Most women I date earn 50% more than I do on average.
no, i didn't say that the alternative was irrational.

i just said that the choice was rational.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Yeah, so what. I cant keep fighting like rambo, if that's what you expect from all men.

Men have a softer side too you know, they just fail to admit it.

I openly expose my softer side, and keep my harder side in reserve. You will know my toughness when needed.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships