Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:19 PM

818 posts, read 917,880 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone on here was able to fully trust their SO after being lied to or cheated on ?
I've had 3 relationships in the last 4 years ( since my divorce ) Two of these people where not the kind of person they led me to believe when we first started dating. Needless to say I have some pretty strong trust issues. Does it go away with enough time ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,899,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
Just wondering if anyone on here was able to fully trust their SO after being lied to or cheated on ?
I've had 3 relationships in the last 4 years ( since my divorce ) Two of these people where not the kind of person they led me to believe when we first started dating. Needless to say I have some pretty strong trust issues. Does it go away with enough time ?
That is too bad you've had those experiences. I totally trust my husband. However I would say in general I can be very guarded with some people and sometimes experience has proven me right.

Hopefully you can find someone that is worthy of your trust.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:23 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Ive lived lived long enough and been in many relationships to know I cant trust anyone 100%, but myself.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:03 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
Some can...some can't.

I've had my trust betrayed too many times by friends and by guys I have liked for it to fully recover. I know it isn't fair to hold against someone in the future but that pain is awful. Can never be too careful.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Trust should be earned, not given away so freely as some people do these days.

Sure you'll trust again, just don't be in such a big hurry to believe everything you hear going forward

Old 06-12-2014, 10:31 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,792 times
Trust no one. Except those who have proven themselves.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:34 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Yes it can happen but it generally takes a long time and a very special person to get you past the trust issues.
The best you can do is be cautious but willing to give someone else a chance. Someone else is not the one who lied to you or cheated on you.
Just don't look for reasons to not trust and don't look for lies where there are none. Be patient and willing to trust until a reason is given by that particular person that they have lied or cannot be trusted.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
i dont have that problem, because if someone lies to me or cheats on me, they become an ex so, and then they can do what ever they want with whomever they want.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:58 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,281,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Yes it can happen but it generally takes a long time and a very special person to get you past the trust issues.
The best you can do is be cautious but willing to give someone else a chance. Someone else is not the one who lied to you or cheated on you.
Just don't look for reasons to not trust and don't look for lies where there are none. Be patient and willing to trust until a reason is given by that particular person that they have lied or cannot be trusted.
This is great advice. It's one thing to be cautious and yet another to be constantly guarded. It seems like a lot of people these days, at least according to this board, are so afraid of their own emotions and being hurt that they never experience the joys of relationships.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:27 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,800 times
Quote:
Depends on the person. If you truly have not let go, then you truly cannot trust.

The only time you can trust is when you are most happiest, most carefree. So let go of the past pain so you can allow yourself to trust- trust yourself, trust the process, trust life and just be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships