Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 11:32 AM

416 posts, read 395,822 times

Advertisements

I met this guy "online" about a month and a half ago. We just chatted. He was never forward or inappropriate. It was always "What do you like?", "Where does your family live?", etc. Once he suggested hitting some golf balls but I kind of wasn't interested due to the fact that he was recent out of a broken engagement (and a 3 year relationship).

The more we talked though, the more interested I became. I pried a bit, asking about his ex-fiance and what happened. Apparently she denies the cheating but his friends saw her out with some guy and she never came home that night. She also didn't make any attempt to fix the situation.

I'll spare the rest of the details which are just that we click really well, have a lot in common and he's exactly my type.

The best part ... his ex-fiance currently still lives at the home they bought together (he was honest about this). He lives downstairs and she lives upstairs. He says she is moving out and back home soon.

Is this even something I should involve myself in? I mean, how over this girl is he really?! How much can you move on from someone after only 2 months? He is very attentive towards me - we talk every day - and he's such my type. I just don't want to walk into something that I'm going to get hurt from.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 11:38 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
You could see where things go. Main thing is don't rush. As you said, he was engaged to a woman he was with for 3 years. To be getting so into you in less than even 3 months seems like he's rebounding.

Not to say he's using you. But just that he is very hurt by the situation, and thus he's moving very fast to get over it, and not grieve to much. So, he meets a nice girl, and gets a new start for a fresh relationship, which may lead to him wanting to dive head first to escape past trouble.

So, I won't say dump him. Some relationships start in weird, or unlikely ways. But do go slow, and don't be rash--like moving in together too soon, or getting married fast, etc. And if you are having sex, use good birth control. You don't need kids yet either lol

Old 06-09-2014, 11:42 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Um, have you actually met him?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
You could see where things go. Main thing is don't rush. As you said, he was engaged to a woman he was with for 3 years. To be getting so into you in less than even 3 months seems like he's rebounding. Not to say he's using you. But just that he is very hurt by the situation, and thus he's moving very fast to get over it, and not grieve to much. So, he meets a nice girl, and gets a new start for a fresh relationship, which may lead to him wanting to dive head first to escape past trouble.

So, I won't say dump him. Some relationships start in weird, or unlikely ways. But do go slow, and don't be rash--like moving in together too soon, or getting married fast, etc. And if you are having sex, use good birth control. You don't need kids yet either lol
Thanks

I honestly wouldn't describe him as moving too fast. Yes, we talk every day, but he isn't pushing to see me all the time. He has hobbies and things he has going on as well, which I like because I'm a gym rat and don't like to miss my gym sessions

But, this is definitely a strange situation and different territory for me. Until she is out of the house, I'm not sure I want to go over there (although, I don't think he would have me over if she was there).

No worries about moving in together too soon - my lease isn't up until April 2015 and he owns the house (he is keeping it). And I honestly won't sleep with him for a while. I'm not going to be a sexual rebound either.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Um, have you actually met him?
lol, yes. We have hung out a few times. I'll see him this Sunday too.

And sorry, I didn't really go into detail about our time together. It is fun and we click but I was more looking for advice about the broken engagement situation.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:51 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Take it very slow and do not become too attached initially (protect your heart). There is a lot of baggage here to inspect before letting the plane taxi away from the gate.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:24 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Take it very slow and do not become too attached initially (protect your heart). There is a lot of baggage here to inspect before letting the plane taxi away from the gate.
People always give this advice but personally I think it's impossible. You can't control your level of attachment. You can only choose to admit it or deny it.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
You know you are rebound girl and that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Just understand it may not be his final relationship.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You know you are rebound girl and that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Just understand it may not be his final relationship.
I don't know that. I'm not the first girl he has hung out with since they split.

And if I am, I'm not interested. I'm looking for more than a rebound girl.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
sounds like your relationship is moving along slowly for good reason by both parties. even if you are a rebound girl, it sounds like he wants more than that also. i wouldnt delve to deeply into his past at this point, as you two may decide that friendship is all that is in the cards for you two ultimately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships