Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 05:15 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I'm in New York. $100K doesn't get you much here.
I'm in the Chicago burbs. We have plenty of what I call professional wives around here.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:16 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Please keep this thread on topic, which is not dating, etc.

My own personal opinion is I've never cared what dating/marrying criteria other people have, it's personal choice and I'm not sure what the issue is. Date young, rich, only Norwegian and born under a full moon whatever. None of other peoples opinions mattered to me when I was dating, and I chose what traits were important to me (as did my husband). If someone was upset they didn't make the cut, I really didn't care (in a nice way).

You can whine about any trait of the opposite sex you want, but it no one is under any obligation or motivation to change so you feel better about yourself.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-14-2014, 07:10 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,232,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Another woman bashing thread.

Yes all women care about is money.

The end.
No it's not. There are a lot of threads bashing shy, introverted male virgins.

If someone created a thread topic "The More $$$$ a man makes, the more hot/attractive/younger he expects his girl to be", I'd be the first to agree.

I don't care when women say all men care about are looks, or are the ones who like to cheat. I agree with both viewpoints.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:40 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Yes it helps if she makes a decent income, but if she is unattractive but makes a lot of money, most men will still pass on her.
So what options remain for the successful (financially, intellectually, vocationally) woman, who didn't win the genetic lottery and is not physically attractive? Should she "marry down"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I have some expensive hobbies/interests -- I'm very much a "work hard, play hard" type of woman. ...

The few times I've tried dating guys who made significantly less than I did, they were very uncomfortable with some of the ways I chose to spend/save my money.

... I remember taking one guy to a fairly nice restaurant for his birthday and he was really uncomfortable once he saw the prices and got upset . . . even though I was picking up the tab. Or criticizing me for "wasting" money on things like a weekly pedicure ...
This is less about earnings and net-worth, than about spending-habits. Some very wealthy people are assiduously frugal – or if you prefer, parsimonious. Imagine a man who could easily afford to buy the posh restaurant – for cash – but feels uncomfortable eating there, as he regards the indulgence as being unjustified. On the other hand, some upper-middle-class people spend every penny, living "rich".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Women have no choice but to think with the only head we have. We are thinking as far as 10 years down the road. Being financially comfortable and able to raise a family. Men can choose between two heads and often choose the little one. Thus they put more emphasis on hotness and not enough on stability.
This begs an interesting question: how is the putative female craving for stability affected if the couple is avowedly child-free? If the woman plans to never derail her career on account of child-rearing, and to never worry about a stable nest for those little darlings, and to never be in a position where she is to some extent vulnerable and dependent on her partner to assume the majority of the "breadwinning" tasks – well then, would that affect the relative importance of her future partner's financial wherewithal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Notice how the more successful a woman is, the less satisfactory her dating life is.
It's not a gendered conclusion. I'd opine that the more successful the man or the woman, young or old, straight or gay, white or minority - the less satisfactory his/her dating life. Why? Because the pool of candidates is smaller, and the associated risks are higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I found that as i got older and my income and net worth grew, it has become harder to date.

...Now in my 30's, i'm finding myself wanting of someone who's done the same...and it's harder to find. I'm not saying that's all I am concerned with, but it has become more important to me now. Success, goals, ambition, accomplishments are becoming more and more important to me than a pretty smile.
My impression is that the number of successful men and successful women is comparable. The trouble is that in the more socially conservative areas, where people pair up early in life, there are few successful singles in their 30s and 40s. This means that anyone still "on the market", whether never-married or divorced, will struggle to find socioeconomic peers to date.

There are plenty of accomplished, intelligent, successful women out there... but often I wonder... by age 40, are all of them already married? Presumably the single women in comparable positions are asking the same question about available men.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:04 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Another woman bashing thread.

Yes all women care about is money.

The end.
Not all woman but if you want a great woman and a better life a guy has to have his crap together.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:13 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
I personally don't think a woman can expect anything if she is not in the attractive category. Now if she is attractive and making good money then of course she can expect a guy to have his stuff together

Old 05-14-2014, 11:15 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,629 times
My guess is that it's the man and his ego that probably can't handle his woman making more money than him, leading to him inadvertently sabotaging the relationship.

I just know men. We can be egotistical jerks.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:25 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,232,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
So what options remain for the successful (financially, intellectually, vocationally) woman, who didn't win the genetic lottery and is not physically attractive? Should she "marry down"?
To give an example, say a male dentist had to choose between a very attractive 28 year old woman in marketing making 50k a year vs an unattractive 28 woman dentist making over 150k a year. Both are similar in personality, loyalty, affections, values, height, weight, etc etc and the only big difference is the marketer is more attractive. Most likely the male dentist will choose the marketer because men tend to value looks much more.

I never implied that financially successful unattractive women should take what they can get. It's just that it's not as valued to men as it is to women.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:53 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
To give an example, say a male dentist had to choose between a very attractive 28 year old woman in marketing making 50k a year vs an unattractive 28 woman dentist making over 150k a year. Both are similar in personality, loyalty, affections, values, height, weight, etc etc and the only big difference is the marketer is more attractive. Most likely the male dentist will choose the marketer because men tend to value looks much more.

I never implied that financially successful unattractive women should take what they can get. It's just that it's not as valued to men as it is to women.

Looks will always overshadow money in my opinion

Old 05-15-2014, 06:10 AM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
False as far as I am concerned but I think it depends on the woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships