Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 12:29 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

I think a woman generally wants a man to make equal or more money than her.

Think of all the truck drivers who put their wives through law school and then ended up in divorce court when she fell in love with an attorney in the office. I know guys do that too, but this is an issue about how women relate to their husband's social standing + $$$'s earned.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Think of all the truck drivers who put their wives through law school and then ended up in divorce court when she fell in love with an attorney in the office. I know guys do that too, but this is an issue about how women relate to their husband's social standing + $$$'s earned.
Reminds me of my co-worker at the warehouse. Live-in GF at the time worked in a law firm. Co-worker's income was probably not even 20% of a lawyer at the time. Eventually she dumps him(not ambitious enough) and ended up marrying one of the lawyers where she works. No comparison, trips to Vegas or trips to Europe(what my co-worker could afford vs what the lawyer could afford).

I do not begrudge any woman who makes a lot of money to expect to date a man who is either her equal or exceeds her income. I would tell any close female friend/relative who dates a guy who makes significantly less or who is very unambitious to find someone better. Why work so hard to earn that money to find someone who can't match your lifestyle?

Old 05-14-2014, 01:42 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Rather than deal in hypothetical situations (such as who you imagine would date Chandler and Ross), why not look at whom they really did date? Both Matthew Perry's most recent ex-girlfriend and David Schwimmer's wife are on par with their looks. Why didn't they hook up with top-tier supermodels?
My point was more about the amount of choices the two average-looking guys have, not who they ended up with. And the other point was how much more attractive it can make the man appear to other women.

Not to derail the thread but Schwimmer's wife is a big 19 years younger than him. Being financially set probably factored in that relationship. Perry's gap was smaller, at only 13 years.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:16 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

How many? Is this some kind of epidemic?

Quote:
I do not begrudge any woman who makes a lot of money to expect to date a man who
is either her equal or exceeds her income. I would tell any close female
friend/relative who dates a guy who makes significantly less or who is very
unambitious to find someone better. Why work so hard to earn that money to find
someone who can't match your lifestyle?
What I don't understand is why this advices is not given/taken by more men.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:48 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times
Yes. I'm currently in college. However, if I were to earn a certain amount of money, I'd expect my partner to be earning something similar. I could never date or marry someone who would want me to be the main bread-winner. Truth be told, people marry inside their class. I made the mistake of dating an uneducated man once and I kept telling myself I could do so much better than him. He ended up dissing me because he felt as though I wasn't good enough for him (don't ask) and I'm never going to try this again.

I'm pretty sure that I'd end up resenting a man who earns way less than I do.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 AM

589 posts, read 639,108 times
The male equivalent would be him dumping her because he found someone younger and better looking. I'm sure that wouldn't go over well with the ladies.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:50 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
My point was more about the amount of choices the two average-looking guys have, not who they ended up with. And the other point was how much more attractive it can make the man appear to other women.

Not to derail the thread but Schwimmer's wife is a big 19 years younger than him. Being financially set probably factored in that relationship. Perry's gap was smaller, at only 13 years.
Your point is kind of the consensus of this thread. Generally people are inclined to find the best mate possible to increase their chances of a better, easier life for themselves and their offspring. This has been going on since day one when "marriages" were arranged between families for the sake of the family and was usually based on assets or status.

Until fairly recently in our history women still needed that financial security because they had no means to provide well for themselves. I suppose it could be that need of security has been drilled in us for so long that the majority of women don't want to put themselves in a position where they struggle financially day to day. Mating up with someone on your own level is preferable to taking steps backwards and increasing your burden by mating with someone on a lower level. This is especially true for women who have worked hard to be in good financial standing on their own.

I cant say how men think but perhaps they have had the burden of breadwinner for so long a non productive spouse isn't an issue. Men's idea of a best mate is beauty and looks and their concerns are sex, nurturing and domestic support.

The world has changed, is changing, and I think both genders still have a lot of adjusting to do.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:56 AM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If only money were useful in some way besides catching husbands.
I know! You just have to get a storage unit for it, you know.... those place's called "banks."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-14-2014, 11:12 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
The male equivalent would be him dumping her because he found someone younger and better looking. I'm sure that wouldn't go over well with the ladies.
Good analogy. They both happen plenty.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:37 PM

331 posts, read 547,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Mating up with someone on your own level is preferable to taking steps backwards and increasing your burden by mating with someone on a lower level.
WTF is this nonsense?

How does marrying someone who makes less money than you "increase your burden"? Explain how a woman who makes $90,000 is "taking steps backwards" if she marries a guy who makes $50,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships