Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 04:30 PM

20 posts, read 38,078 times

Advertisements

I am in my early thirties, back in the dating pool, and sexual relationships have become a possibility again. I had never been STD tested previously and decided to get a full panel done.

I am not having any casual encounters or ONS, thus when I find someone I'm interested in, I'd want them to show they are clean as well. Obviously this is a touchy subject.

I've asked two girls I was dating (in the past) and a one of my friends (out of curiosity). When I asked if they had ever been tested, I almost uniformly got the same response, that they were tested annually at their GYN exam. I asked further and out of the three, none of them knew specifically for what they were tested. They just told me they had a "full panel done" and they had no written results, just that the Dr said everything was OK. I asked if they had blood draws and was told no. Based on my research, blood draws are required for HSV-2, HIV, Hepatitis, and most likely Syphilis tests. I am guessing they were only getting tested for Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, and HPV at their annual.

My friend had a mini-freakout when I showed her that HSV-2 (herpes 2) is not part of the "full panel" most doctors order. She had no idea.

Being that I already fall into a small subset (I think) that will even ask about being tested, I then have to seem like an even bigger worry wart when I press if they have specifically been HSV-2, etc. tested.

I'm also surprised to hear that many women seem to view a guy asking for a STD test as indication that he has either had a STD or been irresponsible in the past.

What are your experiences with either asking or being asked for STD tests? And if you get tested, are you certain you have been tested with a full panel including HSV-2?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 04:35 PM

338 posts, read 385,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLee1980 View Post
I am in my early thirties, back in the dating pool, and sexual relationships have become a possibility again. I had never been STD tested previously and decided to get a full panel done.

I am not having any casual encounters or ONS, thus when I find someone I'm interested in, I'd want them to show they are clean as well. Obviously this is a touchy subject.

I've asked two girls I was dating (in the past) and a one of my friends (out of curiosity). When I asked if they had ever been tested, I almost uniformly got the same response, that they were tested annually at their GYN exam. I asked further and out of the three, none of them knew specifically for what they were tested. They just told me they had a "full panel done" and they had no written results, just that the Dr said everything was OK. I asked if they had blood draws and was told no. Based on my research, blood draws are required for HSV-2, HIV, Hepatitis, and most likely Syphilis tests. I am guessing they were only getting tested for Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, and HPV at their annual.

My friend had a mini-freakout when I showed her that HSV-2 (herpes 2) is not part of the "full panel" most doctors order. She had no idea.

Being that I already fall into a small subset (I think) that will even ask about being tested, I then have to seem like an even bigger worry wart when I press if they have specifically been HSV-2, etc. tested.

I'm also surprised to hear that many women seem to view a guy asking for a STD test as indication that he has either had a STD or been irresponsible in the past.

What are your experiences with either asking or being asked for STD tests? And if you get tested, are you certain you have been tested with a full panel including HSV-2?
Naw man, he likes her more than barroom hopping and wearing rubbers. To me, this is how "serious" long term relationships begin. In this State, if you want that marriage license...one will be required.

Good to know!

Old 05-19-2014, 04:39 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,743,412 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...t-results.html

I posted a thread about this issue a couple months ago.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:18 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,963,732 times
I don't really ask too many questions, but I do say that I don't have any diseases and ask if they do.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:36 PM

589 posts, read 639,935 times
There was one poster here who said they already get tested at their annual and would not get tested if asked because they already do it once a year.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:58 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,007,195 times
Yes, more people should know that HSV is a blood test, and is not included in the standard panel.

You are wrong about HIV, though -- a blood test is not required. It's often done with a cheek swab.

I don't have sex with people who haven't had recent tests for the STIs I am most concerned about. That would just be silly.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Yes, more people should know that HSV is a blood test, and is not included in the standard panel.

You are wrong about HIV, though -- a blood test is not required. It's often done with a cheek swab.

I don't have sex with people who haven't had recent tests for the STIs I am most concerned about. That would just be silly.
Depends on the test. The one that is just shy of $800 AFTER insurance (your co-pay) will tell you if you use too much salt on your fries or dreamt about an STD.

Which one?

ALL of them and ANY!

+/-.......PASS OR FAIL.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:08 PM

I have to get those cuz I BLEED at work! lol

Old 05-19-2014, 06:18 PM

Oh yeah, forgot....

Better not have anything but LEGAL substances with prescriptions on hand in you either.

I even have to cheat on my cholesterol part of it so they don't stick me on pills again. lol

If "IT" is there...they WILL find it. LOL

Old 05-19-2014, 06:31 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,744,705 times
I'm in my 30s too. okay so i never been in that situation but i would never have sex with someone without a test first; I don't care what they say. too many people sleep around as it is and get diseased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships