Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:31 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with the fact he's American. I dated Irish, French and American guys and truthfully, they were all the same ... (i.e: Tools). That said, the dynamic of a relationship doesn't depend on a nationality but on the person you're with. You should ask what men in general want in a woman (still, there's going to be some differences from one man to another).

Besides, how can you categorize his needs based on the sole fact he's American?!
And how can you categorize men as "tools" based on the sole fact that they are American, or Irish, or French?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 03:46 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Because of cultural differences, a lot of basic assumptions you have about each other will be wrong and it may lead to a lot of miscommunications. I don't know your situation but when I dated a Russian lady, I was initially unaccustomed to her directness. And she has actually lived in the US for many years and had no language problems but there was definitely a difference in attitude. When she was unhappy, her directness means she was very blunt with her comments which in turn made me angry. However, only later on did I realize she wasn't that angry. It was only her habit of not being diplomatic about saying certain things that made me assume she was very angry.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:56 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
And how can you categorize men as "tools" based on the sole fact that they are American, or Irish, or French?
It was a joke! Man, sarcasm really sounds terrible when it's written.

Since she made a massive generalization about "American" men, I thought I'd throw my piece of sarcasm in there

Ps: American is a nationality, not a universal culture.

Bet the chick is braggin' because she's dating an "American" guy (i.e: The dream of a lot of Eastern European women). Just sayin'

Old 05-23-2014, 06:45 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,217 times
Ahh well I smell troll here... but imho you can determine someone's culture by where they are from. American men do tend to treat women different then lets say South American men do their women... just saying.. its a "cultural" thing.. the way they were brought up.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:37 PM

5 posts, read 6,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
It depends, all American guys are different.

I am in early stages of dating an east European girl... I like her a lot. Can you let me know what they and Russian girls what? I figure you can help since there are some cultural similarities.
Hello! yes, you can ask me whatever you want about europeans and russians, I probably can help

Old 06-07-2014, 03:44 PM

Okay, thanks everybody for your advice. Maybe my question was a bit wrong, I understand that all people are different, but cultural difference is veery different between Russia and the USA. I try my best and so he is. Everything is pretty good now anyway

Old 06-07-2014, 03:44 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You could start by probably realizing the United States is a country of over 300 million people and approximately 150 million men. Instead of generalizing a country, you could start by learning about your boyfriend instead of asking about Americans..
This is a good point. It may not be a cultural problem, it may simply be due to your boyfriend's unique personality.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a good point. It may not be a cultural problem, it may simply be due to your boyfriend's unique personality.
yes, you are right.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:25 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
No different than any other man in any other country. Except Italians, Mexicans and those of Spain do everything loud and with cheese.

How about you start with what YOU want in a relationship and what you need in another person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships