Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 03:06 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,838,293 times

Advertisements

I get this crap all the time. Every girl I've ever dated, eventually brings up the topic of her quitting her job and moving in with me. Keep in mind I make it clear when we are dating and even when in a relationship I do not want to get married or have kids. Yet they still bring up that they would do my laundry, clean and cook, if I just took care of them, etc.

What's funny is these girls often still mooch off their family in their late 20's and 30's and having been to their parents homes, I've seen that they don't lift a finger to help out around the house and feel that it is merely a ruse to try to get me to marry them so they can stay at home and do nothing or even flirt with guys online while I'm gone.

I still don't understand why some men are so willing to risk half of their assets when there is literally nothing tangible to be gained for them. Very few guys seem to astute enough to avoid this trap. Why on Earth would I risk half of what I've worked for so she can take half of what she didn't earn even if she cheats on me or otherwise files for divorce? Bwahaha, no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 03:22 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I get this crap all the time. Every girl I've ever dated, eventually brings up the topic of her quitting her job and moving in with me. Keep in mind I make it clear when we are dating and even when in a relationship I do not want to get married or have kids. Yet they still bring up that they would do my laundry, clean and cook, if I just took care of them, etc.

What's funny is these girls often still mooch off their family in their late 20's and 30's and having been to their parents homes, I've seen that they don't lift a finger to help out around the house and feel that it is merely a ruse to try to get me to marry them so they can stay at home and do nothing or even flirt with guys online while I'm gone.

I still don't understand why some men are so willing to risk half of their assets when there is literally nothing tangible to be gained for them. Very few guys seem to astute enough to avoid this trap. Why on Earth would I risk half of what I've worked for so she can take half of what she didn't earn even if she cheats on me or otherwise files for divorce? Bwahaha, no thanks.
Where are you finding these women? Do you do time travel back to the 1950's? My gf's are all in rewarding careers, and aren't interested in being homebodies. Most aren't interested in having kids at all. It's odd that you would run into so many women who aren't interested in supporting themselves. You might take a look at why you keep ending up with women like that.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:29 PM

877 posts, read 1,317,582 times
Some people can afford a stay at home wife/stay at home mother arrangement

No need to feel jealous or butthurt over it

Old 08-10-2014, 03:38 PM

52,307 posts, read 52,756,330 times
What ever works for each couple, really, at the end of the day.....

Old 08-10-2014, 04:02 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,002,401 times
Quote:
I get this crap all the time. Every girl I've ever dated, eventually brings up the topic of her quitting her job and moving in with me.
Do they really say they want to quit their jobs and live off you? Or is that part only in your imagination?

Moving in together is a normal progression in a relationship, and pretty much everyone is going to want to. Quitting her job is not usually a part of that.

Last edited by NilaJones; 08-10-2014 at 04:13 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 04:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Who cares? These guys choose these wives, they knew exactly what they were.
I totally agree. Their life, not my business.

One of my volunteer colleagues is in a position not to work. I think her hubby had a huge windfall at some point and I don't know what he does now or did. But they took a year off to travel. She retired from her professional career. Her career was a well paying yet demanding one, but would not lead to a huge payout.

And now she volunteers and they run a fun business around one of their interests. Not sure if he works or not.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,191,969 times
We're three years from being empty nesters. If my wife came to me at that point and said, "You know, we're doing well financially. The house is paid off, you make great money, and I'm just burnt out in my job. Do you mind if I take off a few years?" then I would agree to it. As long as she held up her end of the partnership by keeping the household running and giving me a smoking hot roll in the hay on a frequent basis, then I'd be all for it.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:44 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,838,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Do they really say they want to quit their jobs and live off you? Or is that part only in your imagination?

Moving in together is a normal progression in a relationship, and pretty much everyone is going to want to. Quitting her job is not usually a part of that.
Yes, they actually say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where are you finding these women? Do you do time travel back to the 1950's? My gf's are all in rewarding careers, and aren't interested in being homebodies. Most aren't interested in having kids at all. It's odd that you would run into so many women who aren't interested in supporting themselves. You might take a look at why you keep ending up with women like that.
I've been asking myself the same question. The career oriented financially successful women are either usually taken already or just want to stay single and play the field. A lot of them have been used by the deadbeat guys who live off them, from what I can tell, and now, they seem to just have one night stands and short term flings.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:54 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,351,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've said it before.

No woman on CD has ever met or associates with (read: or admits to associating with) the type of women that get complained about here.

Keep that in my mind when posting.

Last edited by Caddy1316; 08-10-2014 at 05:14 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 05:13 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,002,401 times
Quote:
Yes, they actually say that.

I've been asking myself the same question. The career oriented financially successful women are either usually taken already or just want to stay single and play the field. A lot of them have been used by the deadbeat guys who live off them, from what I can tell, and now, they seem to just have one night stands and short term flings.
It seems like these sorts of women would be easy to identify. Just rule out anyone with dyed blonde hair, lots of makeup, spray tan, boob implants, etc. And ask about their long term career goals on the first date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships