Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 05:13 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Some people can afford a stay at home wife/stay at home mother arrangement

No need to feel jealous or butthurt over it
The OP either can't afford it, or doesn't want that. He's the one complaining about it. I agree, it's strange he keeps running into women who want to live off him. Maybe he's a sharp dresser and attracts that kind, or something. He's making himself a target in some way. The rest of us don't get too many of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 05:31 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Yes, they actually say that.

I've been asking myself the same question. The career oriented financially successful women are either usually taken already or just want to stay single and play the field. A lot of them have been used by the deadbeat guys who live off them, from what I can tell, and now, they seem to just have one night stands and short term flings.
I don't know if your location has anything to do with it, but I know quite a few single career women in Seattle and the SF Bay Area who aren't into short term flings or ONS. They're looking for a serious LTR.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:33 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy1316 View Post
I've said it before.

No woman on CD has ever met or associates with (read: or admits to associating with) the type of women that get complained about here.

Keep that in my mind when posting.
It would seem that some of the C-D men live in a radically different world than C-D women. I don't understand how the guys here are magnets for precisely the kind of women they don't want.

Oh, come to think of it, we had a really good example about a year ago. A guy complained about always getting gold-diggers, and having to help them with their monthly expenses. After a long thread and repeated questioning, he finally admitted he enjoys talking about investing on dates, and his own investments. He'd never seen a connection between that and the type of parasitic relationship he always ended up in. (I'm not making this up, lol!) That still doesn't explain why he chose to date secretaries and cashiers, instead of his peers. But still....talk about painting a bull's-eye on yourself!

Old 08-10-2014, 05:49 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,351,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It would seem that some of the C-D men live in a radically different world than C-D women. I don't understand how the guys here are magnets for precisely the kind of women they don't want.

Oh, come to think of it, we had a really good example about a year ago. A guy complained about always getting gold-diggers, and having to help them with their monthly expenses. After a long thread and repeated questioning, he finally admitted he enjoys talking about investing on dates, and his own investments. He'd never seen a connection between that and the type of parasitic relationship he always ended up in. (I'm not making this up, lol!) That still doesn't explain why he chose to date secretaries and cashiers, instead of his peers. But still....talk about painting a bull's-eye on yourself!
I'd say because that aren't that many women out there that are worthy of being wanted.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:53 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
I don't know if your location has anything to do with it, but I know quite a few single career women in Seattle and the SF Bay Area who aren't into short term flings or ONS. They're looking for a serious LTR.
But would you really inflict Sea-Tac on them?

Old 08-10-2014, 06:00 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
But would you really inflict Sea-Tac on them?

Old 08-10-2014, 06:05 PM

774 posts, read 906,825 times
The guy who cheated on his first wife deserves a THING like this for his second wife. Deadbeat or parasite describes her well.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
Aka "Housewives." What do you think of these type of women? I personally find it selfish and unbalanced and would NEVER stand for it in a relationship. By this I AM NOT referring to stay at home moms-women who have chosen to opt out to raise kids- which I think is rather commendable if feasible and both spouses have reached an accord. I'm referring to women who either have no kids OR more commonly empty nesters usually in their 40's or 50's who are still healthy and employable but choose not to re enter the work-force even part time and instead pursue a leisurely lifestyle such as shopping and spa trips, yoga/zumba, luncheons with friends, etc ON THEIR hard working husband's dime. Anyone else find this behavior despicable at worst, LAZY and manipulative at best. Marriage is supposed to be a partnership.

Why should a man have to slave away 40+ (often 50-60 hours a week) and deal with co-workers, office politics, or hard physical work depending on his profession while his wife gets to call her own shots all day and do as she pleases (even if the activities she's doing don't involve a lot of money such as going for walks,hikes, library,etc). It still seems incongruent in a marriage unless as said earlier, she has young kids she's rearing which is a totally different entity in and of itself.

Thoughts?
Some men make more than enough money and there is no point for the wife to work. It is way better to have the wife manage the home and take care of everything else while the H goes to work.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:11 PM

774 posts, read 906,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I get this crap all the time. Every girl I've ever dated, eventually brings up the topic of her quitting her job and moving in with me. Keep in mind I make it clear when we are dating and even when in a relationship I do not want to get married or have kids. Yet they still bring up that they would do my laundry, clean and cook, if I just took care of them, etc.

What's funny is these girls often still mooch off their family in their late 20's and 30's and having been to their parents homes, I've seen that they don't lift a finger to help out around the house and feel that it is merely a ruse to try to get me to marry them so they can stay at home and do nothing or even flirt with guys online while I'm gone.

I still don't understand why some men are so willing to risk half of their assets when there is literally nothing tangible to be gained for them. Very few guys seem to astute enough to avoid this trap. Why on Earth would I risk half of what I've worked for so she can take half of what she didn't earn even if she cheats on me or otherwise files for divorce? Bwahaha, no thanks.
Only because average working woman circa de post sixties.think they are.too special and are too picky to pick the average working guy and so it gets real lonely in here for the honest marriage minded working good guy. Gee but if the GOOD women werent so picky then the bad women would never be able to get near a good.guy

Old 08-10-2014, 06:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
When I was a kid I thought the ladies who lunch lifestyle looked pretty awesome. You'd get to meet your friends for lunch, and plan events for your charities and boards and what not. Or own an art gallery or something.

In adulthood I realized I'd be really bored at home all day or shopping all day. It would work for a few weeks and then I'd be over it.

But what i did figure out is that I didn't want to be defined by my work either. And in some ways I am less ambitious because of that. Don't get me wrong, working hard and getting paid well are "important."

But I also realized I wanted to get involved with pet causes and interests, so I am working on building my life around both a professional and personal identity that is compatible. I can't have lunch with my friends everyday...but I can join a non profit board. And I did. Half way there to my version of ladies who lunch status. . I might just replace those lunches with happy hours, cooking classes, bike rides brunch and yoga classes.

We all have different visions on what we want our lives to look like. For some men it is an ego boost to make enough money so their wives don't work.

One of my friends, who does really well on her own, no her husband does too. Anyway, he decided he wants to take time off, on a long term paternity leave, to prepare for their upcoming arrival. So technically she is the only one working. But he manages to cash in before leaving his last job and keeping up with his part of the expenses without dipping into savings.

In his ideal world, he'll stay home working on his pet projects and hobbies while his wife makes the big bucks! And I would not be surprised if that happened in the next 10 years. She wants to be a high powered executive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships