Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:12 AM

7 posts, read 6,809 times

Advertisements

I met this girl through mutual friends a few months ago. She had a boyfriend and thought nothing of it, she was just a girl I had mutual friends with. Her and her boyfriend were together for about 18 months - 2 years, and about 2 months ago he ended it through social media with her. As far as I know she cut contact with him. About the past three weeks or so me and this girl have gotten kinda close, some things in common etc. We watched a film with mutual friends and when the mutual friends had gone to bed, me and this girl got close and kissed. Exchanged numbers, arranged a date for tomorrow. One of our mutual friends also liked/likes me, so this girl said we should keep the fact me and her were getting a bit close quiet, as she didn't want to upset her friend/ruin their friendship. However, I later received a message saying she'd told our mutual friend and the mutual friend was OK about it.

We've been texting slowly - hours in between (bad sign?) - over the past week or so, and like I said, we've arranged a date. We've kissed. But either way, I'm still very hesitant and cautious about it. I don't want to be the rebound because I actually quite like this girl and would like to get to know her better. Either way, I'm closing off any interest so I don't get attached.

She hasn't yet mentioned her ex to me, which I've been listening out for, but she has mentioned my ex. She thought me and my ex finished only recently, which I told her wasn't the case, it was over a year ago.

I just don't know what to do or how to play this. Does this sound like I'm simply her rebound guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:16 AM

95 posts, read 107,293 times
sometimes its hours between text because if work ir I leave the phone in another room..go slow and dont over think it..

Old 05-29-2014, 05:28 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Only time will tell.

Personally and honestly, I think it's too soon to get seriously involved; I'd
just be tap'n it.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:42 AM

So basically this is a pointless exercise me texting and dating this girl, it won't go anywhere? I should just cut my losses before I get too involved?

That sucks a bit.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:47 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbateman100 View Post
I met this girl through mutual friends a few months ago. She had a boyfriend and thought nothing of it, she was just a girl I had mutual friends with. Her and her boyfriend were together for about 18 months - 2 years, and about 2 months ago he ended it through social media with her. As far as I know she cut contact with him. About the past three weeks or so me and this girl have gotten kinda close, some things in common etc. We watched a film with mutual friends and when the mutual friends had gone to bed, me and this girl got close and kissed. Exchanged numbers, arranged a date for tomorrow. One of our mutual friends also liked/likes me, so this girl said we should keep the fact me and her were getting a bit close quiet, as she didn't want to upset her friend/ruin their friendship. However, I later received a message saying she'd told our mutual friend and the mutual friend was OK about it.

We've been texting slowly - hours in between (bad sign?) - over the past week or so, and like I said, we've arranged a date. We've kissed. But either way, I'm still very hesitant and cautious about it. I don't want to be the rebound because I actually quite like this girl and would like to get to know her better. Either way, I'm closing off any interest so I don't get attached.

She hasn't yet mentioned her ex to me, which I've been listening out for, but she has mentioned my ex. She thought me and my ex finished only recently, which I told her wasn't the case, it was over a year ago.

I just don't know what to do or how to play this. Does this sound like I'm simply her rebound guy?
Stop over analyzing the situation and take things as they happen.

Why are you listening out for anything about her ex? That is past right now and should stay that way.

The one thing that would trouble me the most is her telling you to keep you pending relationship a secret.
She either wants to be with you or she doesn't and if you really wanted to be with the other girl I would guess you would already be with the other girl.

As far as the texting time frame goes, so what, people have jobs, lives, responsibilities, have to take showers, chat with others, do homework, watch television, twiddle their thumbs. I have friends and family that it can take days before they text back and I think nothing of it.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Stop over analyzing the situation and take things as they happen.
Yeah, I do that. More so here now because of her 2 month split from her ex.

Quote:
Why are you listening out for anything about her ex? That is past right now and should stay that way.
Well, I figured if she started mentioning him then she's not over him?

Quote:
The one thing that would trouble me the most is her telling you to keep you pending relationship a secret.
She either wants to be with you or she doesn't and if you really wanted to be with the other girl I would guess you would already be with the other girl.
Yeah, that was my exact same thought, the fact she wanted to keep it secret from our mutual friend who liked me, which in turn would mean it was quiet from everyone. She said she wanted to keep it quiet because she didn't want to hurt her friend's feelings/mess up a friendship. But then that same day, she told our mutual friend?

Quote:
As far as the texting time frame goes, so what, people have jobs, lives, responsibilities, have to take showers, chat with others, do homework, watch television, twiddle their thumbs. I have friends and family that it can take days before they text back and I think nothing of it.
Yeah that's true, I guess I'm basing texting on past relationships were it was a constant wave of texts from both me and the girl I was dating/in a relationship with.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:58 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Never base a current relationship or prospect of a current relationship on the past. The dynamics of each relationship are different.
As far as mentioning the ex, my Husband and I talk about our ex spouses all the time and we have been "over" them for a long time.
Just because she talks about him does not mean she isn't ready to move on, he was part of her life for a while and she has memories that she will mention from time to time.

So, quit over analyzing already and see where things go, don't assume anything based on past relationships in reference to a current relationship.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:04 AM

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Yeah, that's the thing though, she's only been out of her long term relationship for 2 months, is that, realistically, enough time for someone to be moved on from their ex and ready for a new relationship?

Old 05-29-2014, 06:07 AM

95 posts, read 107,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbateman100 View Post
Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Yeah, that's the thing though, she's only been out of her long term relationship for 2 months, is that, realistically, enough time for someone to be moved on from their ex and ready for a new relationship?
it depends on the person.. and for all you know she hasnt been happy for months and was over him before the split..

Old 05-29-2014, 06:11 AM

Yeah. Well, I know he ended it out of the blue through Facebook or something. She took it hard I think, went out on nights out drinking etc. Hence me being cautious.

More so because, my last relationship messed me up something bad, and now I actually like this new girl I don't want a repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships