Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 10:12 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

But that is true with all dating. A minority of first dates, or meetings, turn into anything. Usually a relatively small minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 10:41 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
But that is true with all dating. A minority of first dates, or meetings, turn into anything. Usually a relatively small minority.
I count five relationships that started online. Actually, every guy I have met/dated I met online.

High school boyfriend - AOL chat room
First husband - AOL
Followed by three relationships as a result of meeting on OKC

I can count seven other men I dated for a very brief period of time that I met through either OKC or PoF.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I know more people who have tried or are trying online dating and have not had it lead to a relationship than I know were it has. Same for speed dating. Seems people get matches from it but either never hear from them or at most they go on a date or two and that's it.
Some people also go out to bars, clubs, etc. and see lot of people there, but don't get asked out by many (or, well, any) of them and /or have those excursions lead to LTRs and marriage. It's the nature of dating, whether online or off. They might flirt with somebody for the night, get or give a phone number, have a one-night stand, etc. and nothing more comes of it. With dating, both online and off, you gain exposure to a group of people. Whether or not anything comes of that exposure is subject to any number of variables and there are no guarantees.

Finding a good match is largely a matter of trial and error, no matter how you go about doing it.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:33 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I count five relationships that started online. Actually, every guy I have met/dated I met online.

High school boyfriend - AOL chat room
First husband - AOL
Followed by three relationships as a result of meeting on OKC

I can count seven other men I dated for a very brief period of time that I met through either OKC or PoF.
High school boyfriends were before AOL chat rooms and OLD existed.

Didn't date in college, and went on a couple of 1st dates with men I "met" through a local AOL chatroom.

Dated a guy for a few months I met at a bar. Met my late hubby at work. Dated a guy off and on for about 6 months that I met at a bar though that was through Meetup. Haven't dated anyone else in almost 4 years, which includes several stints on eH, OKC, and Match. And a couple of attempts at speed dating. For me, the men I've dated came about when I wasn't looking. When I met the second bar guy I so didn't want to go out that night I didn't even bother to brush my hair!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:28 PM

432 posts, read 491,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not to say there aren't plenty of 20 something bike techs and brewers playing in bands too, of course there are.

Where I am now, though, Boston is more prone to that due to expenses. Providence has more of a blue collar scene, it's cheaper. The artists can still afford to live there, while in Boston you really can't.
Portland is more fragmented due to the fact that there's a lot more people involved in the art and music scenes there. It's a lot easier to find yourself in a clique thete. I don't know much about the hardcore scene there other than it seemed to be an aging scene and people would talk of it's glory days. Hardcore can mean a lot of things, though. I crossed paths with a few with crustgrind leanings, and noisier Converge-like bands. Sing-songy punk didn't seem to be all that prevalent.

Phoenix, on the other hand, has always been weak in the arts department so there's just less people interested in participating, and the sprawl of the city forces more congregation in fewer places... but, by way of that, it's a lot less cliquey... which is great. We never hung out with the bands we were most musically similar to, we hung out with the bands we got along with. It's always more about having fun to me. Heck, half of what I listen to these days is underground hip hop. I get in more conversions based on those shirts than anything.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:08 PM

432 posts, read 491,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
OKCupid has systems that I would bet anything are bogus.

I don't know if they still have the system where you match your picture against a different random person for each woman to choose and you see how many women would choose to date you or the other guy. Ok, I'm no great looker and I used to get maybe 5 out of 30 on a good day picking me but I ran tests using womens pictures and many of the results were unbelievable........

I have to wonder if and why the results were changed re womens pictures.

Some of or many of those women who rated very highly with me had profiles which showed me no difference in compatibility with me than the women who scored much lower as matches or friends and much higher as enemies nor was there any difference in amount of matching answers.

Anybody else notice?
[back on topic]:

Yes, excellent point. Exactly what I was saying. My experience is that nothing but polar opposites are finding their way to my profile (and presumably surfing quickly back off about half a paragraph in).

Me: Child free
Them: Have kids

Me: A new soul / futurist
Them: Old souls / out-of-touch / painfully nostalgic

Me: Edgy / anti-establishmet / progressive / freethinker
Them: Conservative / square /status quo

Me: Fit, go to the gym, put effort into my appearance
Them: Obese, frumpy, no makeup, sun damaged

Me: Atheistic, skeptic
Them: J.C. superfan (this happens A LOT!)

Me: A freak
Them: Sexually close minded / just plain antisexual

Me: Dog person
Them: Cat person

(LOL... dunno how much water that last one holds, but it seems true)

The list goes on. I'm half inclined to think that that IAC reversed the algorithm to make it the most frustrating experience possible and drive people to their pay sites.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:58 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by variant View Post
[back on topic]:

Yes, excellent point. Exactly what I was saying. My experience is that nothing but polar opposites are finding their way to my profile (and presumably surfing quickly back off about half a paragraph in).

The list goes on. I'm half inclined to think that that IAC reversed the algorithm to make it the most frustrating experience possible and drive people to their pay sites.
Pretty much all of my matches have kids. Maybe I'll experiment and change mine from "doesn't have/doesn't want" to "doesn't have" and see if that has any effect on the number of messages I receive.

I find it interesting that there are ads for Zoosk at the top of OKC.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:06 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
It could be just my area but OKC has the following 1) Single Moms 2) Obese 3) "Elitist" nerd types. I live in somewhat of a rural era so the quality isn't there. I would imagine it would be better in a more affluent metro area.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:31 AM

45 posts, read 45,286 times
Was on pof, didn't like it. Tried okc recently.

Got responses to your messages? Yes.
Got messages that turned into actual dates? Yes.
Dates turned into actual relationships? Haven't been on enough dates yet.
Relationships turned into marriage? Haven't gotten that far.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:44 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by variant View Post
[back on topic]:

Me: A new soul / futurist
Them: Old souls / out-of-touch / painfully nostalgic

Me: Edgy / anti-establishmet / progressive / freethinker
Them: Conservative / square /status quo

Me: Fit, go to the gym, put effort into my appearance
Them: Obese, frumpy, no makeup, sun damaged

Me: Atheistic, skeptic
Them: J.C. superfan (this happens A LOT!)

Me: A freak
Them: Sexually close minded / just plain antisexual

Me: Dog person
Them: Cat person

(LOL... dunno how much water that last one holds, but it seems true)

I just recently threw up an experimental profile on POF, and I'm noticing something similar. The few messages I've gotten in my inbox as well as a couple of women that have favorited me mention how much they like motorcycles. They want a riding partner. Nowhere in my profile did I say I have a motorcycle, or even like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships