Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 06:04 PM

432 posts, read 492,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
My first OKC relationship was with a man who had long-ish hair at the time we met. About ear length. The longest it grew to was collarbone length. Someone here described him as having "shaggy hair." And he falls within the alt subculture.

Surprisingly, there are quite a few long-ish haired men within the alt community when I lived in Atlanta. Less so out of the metro area.
I wouldn't call myself one, but the hipster guys and/or those with those leanings have been showing up with longer locks more-and-more over the last few years.

A lot of times, I'll run with my hair tucked under a beenie (sometimes out of laziness), and I wouldn't say I get any more (probably less) female attention that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 06:08 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,453,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by variant View Post
I wouldn't call myself one, but the hipster guys and/or those with those leanings have been showing up with longer locks more-and-more over the last few years.

A lot of times, I'll run with my hair tucked under a beenie (sometimes out of laziness), and I wouldn't say I get any more (probably less) female attention that way.
Why do you have long hair at your age though? Big fan of Michael Bolton or something? Even he cut it all off though.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
Why do you have long hair at your age though? Big fan of Michael Bolton or something? Even he cut it all off though.
Why do you have short hair? Fan of Michael Bolton after he cut it off? :-|

That's my personality. I'm an industrial designer, an artist, a musician, free thinker, a traveller, rebel-whatever-cliche-you-want-to-put-on-it. I make good money and am successfull and happy where I'm at. I can wear whatever hair, get whatever tats, etc. What's any of that got to do with age?

People who cover it up do so because they feel they have to in order to succeed financially, not because that's not who they are. I get that. It's pragmatic. I just haven't had to. Simple.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:21 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,389,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Have you:

Got responses to your messages?
Got messages that turned into actual dates?
Dates turned into actual relationships?
Relationships turned into marriage?

I hear in the online dating world there is a lot of serial dating as people have so much choice they are always of the mindset that there is something better out there, this is especially true for women who get inundated with replies. Do you think there is any truth to this?
Got responses, yes.
Messages that turned into dates, yes.
Dates that turned into relationships...not really. Second and third dates, yes, dated one guy for a month. But beyond that, no. I think part of it is that yes, the "Serial dater syndrome" is alive and well, thanks to the mindset people get into using internet dating sites. You can tell they aren't taking you seriously, they're just "browsing" like they're at a shopping mall. They take a quick look, put it back on the shelf if some minor, random detail doesn't seem right... But at least in the city I'm in, people are pretty eager to get off the web and meet in person.

Meeting in person, though, isn't all it's cracked up to be. A lot of guys, and gals, date multiple people and message multiple people simultaneously. I just felt like I never got anyone's undivided attention... it's like they're busy comparing me to last Friday's date, and wondering what next Tuesday's date is going to be like, the entire time they're with me. And they spend half the date talking about whoever else they're also chatting with online. I've just gone out on a handful of dates from the site, but I definitely saw patterns with that.

I guess I just need to be more persistent and patient. One specific complaint I could make about the OK Cupid "matching" system is that most guys hardly fill out any of the matching questions... so they don't give out a lot of info about themselves, and the "system" doesn't make matches as well as it could. It's better than nothing though. I think if people filled out more questions it'd be a great filtering system.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:27 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,394,033 times
Quote:
Why do you have short hair? Fan of Michael Bolton after he cut it off? :-|

That's my personality. I'm an industrial designer, an artist, a musician, free thinker, a traveller, rebel-whatever-cliche-you-want-to-put-on-it. I make good money and am successfull and happy where I'm at. I can wear whatever hair, get whatever tats, etc. What's any of that got to do with age?

People who cover it up do so because they feel they have to in order to succeed financially, not because that's not who they are. I get that. It's pragmatic. I just haven't had to. Simple.
Yep. The ex that had long hair only cut it back to ear length because it was part of his employer's "dress code." Had it not been for that dress code he would have kept it long. He preferred it long.

I don't really "get" the issue many have with men having longer hair. Perhaps it goes back to traditional gender roles. I have relatives that believe women should keep their hair long and men keep it short. My father dislikes my son's long hair. Whatever. What's not to love about a boy with longer than average curly hair. Women eat it up.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:40 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,127,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post

I don't really "get" the issue many have with men having longer hair. Perhaps it goes back to traditional gender roles. I have relatives that believe women should keep their hair long and men keep it short. My father dislikes my son's long hair. Whatever. What's not to love about a boy with longer than average curly hair. Women eat it up.

Not many adult women post 20s. Not where I've lived. Lots are vocally grossed out about it.

Maybe on your coast it is more of thing.

I just always thought it looked stupid. Just a personal preference. I've been buzzcutting my hair since grade school and shaving it since 20. Cleaner. Neater. Nicer looking IMO.

That said, I also like neck length or shorter hair on women most of the time too.

It makes me think hesher or hippy when I see it too, which are cringeworthy visuals.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not many adult women post 20s. Not where I've lived. Lots are vocally grossed out about it.

I just always thought it looked stupid. Just a personal preference. I've been buzzcutting my hair since grade school and shaving it since 20. Cleaner. Neater. Nicer looking IMO.

That said, I also like neck length or shorter hair on women most of the time too.

It makes me think hesher or hippy when I see it too, which are cringeworthy visuals.
The point isn't to look neat or clean or proper. It's called counterculture for a reason... LOL. See, some people crap on bald guys too (which many of my friends are). I never understood the hate. It's no big deal. There's serious backlash on beards too thanks to their popularity in the alt scene.

Some people like to make mountains out of molehills I guess. 'Murica. Women in Ugg boots and giant yuppie sunglasses grind my gears but the hot ones are still hot. Whatever. I'll keep chasing mermaid girls with green hair, nautical tats, and nose rings and try not to offend anyone with my hesherness or whatever.

Last edited by variant; 06-03-2014 at 07:17 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 07:12 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,453,790 times
Quote:

LOL. I agree. I saw my husband's photo when he was a child and he has longer hair and he told me he did have long hair in his teens but see no reason to have that style anymore at his age and rightly so.

Like tattoos, long hair only look 'cute' at certain age but when you reach 30s, 40s, it borders on WTF (is wrong with you?).

Old 06-03-2014, 07:13 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,127,524 times
Quote:
The point isn't to look neat or clean or proper. It's called counterculture for a reason... LOL. See, some people crap on bald guys too (which many of my friends are). I never understood the hate. It's no big deal. There's serious backlash on beards too thanks to their popularity in the salt scene.

"Counterculture" isn't tattoos, piercings, or long or short died hair. All that is totally mainstream and normy stuff. Same with fixed gear bikes and whatnot; it isn't hipster stuff. Hasn't been for a long time. Once you could get genitalia piercings in tattoo studios (around mid 90s) it stopped being underground and most definitely stopped being edgy at all.

Most of the real weirdos, freaks, and brilliantly alternative people look like they could be going to Yale Law (or teaching there) or working at Deloitte Consulting. It's not the fashion, it's the soul and the mind.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
"Counterculture" isn't tattoos, piercings, or long or short died hair. All that is totally mainstream and normy stuff. Same with fixed gear bikes and whatnot; it isn't hipster stuff. Hasn't been for a long time. Once you could get genitalia piercings in tattoo studios (around mid 90s) it stopped being underground and most definitely stopped being edgy at all.

Most of the real weirdos, freaks, and brilliantly alternative people look like they could be going to Yale Law (or teaching there) or working at Deloitte Consulting. It's not the fashion, it's the soul and the mind.
Nice old man rant... LOL! Being an aging guy myself, I get what you're saying. Really, I do. A lot of it isn't very novel... but you know what? Neither was a lot of the copycatting in the '60s, and pop / middle-American culture... well, ever.

The difference is, would I rather hang out with the freaks and geeks and talk music, however clichéd they are, or a bunch of mortgage-paid types that do things like turn an OK Cupid thread into a thread about my freakin' hair? Believe it not, for a lot of us it's not a originality contest... just picking styles we like and are comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships