Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:24 PM

336 posts, read 590,068 times

Advertisements

Do you always assume that it's a sign of being too dependent?

Sometimes people can check with parents who have more experience or better knowledge on a topic, but too many people seem to think that if you have to check with your parents, you're not independent enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 06:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post

Sometimes people can check with parents who have more experience or better knowledge on a topic, but too many people seem to think that if you have to check with your parents, you're not independent enough.
Whether or not this is an issue depends on the persons age and circumstances.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:49 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:

Someone needs to cut the damn cord. Seeking advice from mom or dad once in a while, cool. Consulting them every damn time. Hell naw!

Old 06-03-2014, 06:57 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,975 times
I never consult my parents for anything so I most probably would be annoyed if my SO consult his. Both my husband's parents are deceased but I am pretty sure he is not the type to consult his parents for anything, either.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:02 PM

369 posts, read 392,889 times
If more women asked their Dads about "me" I would be in without hesitation.

"He was/is a what?"

Stupid girl. lol

Call him RIGHT NOW!! LOL

Old 06-03-2014, 07:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
I know exactly when to enlist the expertise of my mom or dad, and when I don't need to.

My dad is a master carpenter with 40 years experience as a builder...anything relating to building or home repair projects, hell yes, I'll seek his guidance and experience, for instance. I'd be an idiot not to tap into that resource, when I have little practical experience, myself, and my husband has minimal interest in these sorts of projects.

Anybody who thinks that welcoming the expertise of those around you and using it as a valuable resource is some kind of apron string issue probably has issues of his or her own.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I know exactly when to enlist the expertise of my mom or dad, and when I don't need to.

My dad is a master carpenter with 40 years experience as a builder...anything relating to building or home repair projects, hell yes, I'll seek his guidance and experience, for instance. I'd be an idiot not to tap into that resource, when I have little practical experience, myself, and my husband has minimal interest in these sorts of projects.

Anybody who thinks that welcoming the expertise of those around you and using it as a valuable resource is some kind of apron string issue probably has issues of his or her own.
Yep

Old 06-03-2014, 07:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Plus, it flatters him to be asked to give input, and brightens his day. Win-win.

Both my spouse and I are very family-oriented, and are very close to our parents, emotionally (even though we live far away from our respective parents). So neither of us thinks it's weird to value their expertise or advice from time to time. Needless to say, we go about our day to day life making choices and decisions on our own, and very much live our own lives, but for those things in life where you want some other opinions or advice, yep, we'll absolutely run certain things by our parents and consider their advice. They're smart, good people with loads of applicable experience, or we wouldn't be asking, so why not?

Old 06-03-2014, 09:55 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,960,259 times
Quote:

It is all about frequency. Some people are much much closer to their parents than other people. It isn't black and white answer. It is mostly grey area.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:02 PM

369 posts, read 392,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

You said it right there. The old man has got the jack....

He can buy a new truck and pay cash for it and think nothing.

He can buy a house and pay cash for it.

I trust his judgment when I need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships