Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:50 AM

173 posts, read 155,391 times

Advertisements

So I met an older guy who happens to be British, complete with accent *swoon*

Anyway, there's been solid eye contact, giggling, flirting and sharing of phone numbers and asking about weekend plans etc. He always compliments what I'm wearing telling me I look great or nice.

I thought I saw a wedding band so I backed off but when asked if he had done anything for memorial day with family he said no he was just working. I haven't seen the ring since. The flirtation has been ongoing for about a month. He's asked my age and if I was single and continues what I thought was intense flirting.

TBH I was just looking for a ONS with this guy and nothing more. So I texted him for the first time asking if he had plans and he called me cheeky. I've always associated cheeky as a negative thing?

Did I read the signals wrong or was his flirtation just for fun and I missed the memo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 12:58 AM

61,787 posts, read 87,244,588 times
Well, Cambridge Dictionary describe that word as slightly rude or showing no respect, but often in a funny way.
cheeky adjective - definition in the British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionaries Online (US)
Could be a British slang explained here:
http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml
Who knows what he really meant. I think, he is flirty. Find out if he is married - you would know more about his character. But for ONS, I am afraid - you don't care.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, Cambridge Dictionary describe that word as slightly rude or showing no respect, but often in a funny way.
cheeky adjective - definition in the British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionaries Online (US)
Could be a British slang explained here:
The Best of British - British Slang
Who knows what he really meant. I think, he is flirty. Find out if he is married - you would know more about his character. But for ONS, I am afraid - you don't care.
Thanks. Some sites defined it as flirty or sexy others as flippant, rude and disrespectful. It was a bit shocking. I chose not to respond at all.

I had intended to ask him out for drinks and ask directly if he was married but we haven't gone out yet. I guess I could ask the next time we cross paths whenever that may be. I do care if he's married, but what I think matters less than what he thinks. Besides I've met many a swinger, polyamorous or open relationship guy or gal and they all wear rings. Just saying. Lol

Old 06-02-2014, 02:13 AM

11,377 posts, read 9,293,598 times
If all you want is a ONS what makes the difference to you if he's married or not?

Seems your standards are quite low anyway.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
If all you want is a ONS what makes the difference to you if he's married or not?

Seems your standards are quite low anyway.
Having a ONS doesn't mean I have low standards. I have an itch I'm looking to scratch.

I still respect marriage for those who enter into it. I'd prefer to not be involved with a married guy, but ultimately he made the vow, not I. Only he can vouch for his own level of commitment, if he's even married.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:24 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,459,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseygrl View Post
Having a ONS doesn't mean I have low standards. I have an itch I'm looking to scratch.

I still respect marriage for those who enter into it. I'd prefer to not be involved with a married guy, but ultimately he made the vow, not I. Only he can vouch for his own level of commitment, if he's even married.
Is this the long winded way of saying I'll screw who I want to as long as they do it for me?

Old 06-02-2014, 04:16 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,868,581 times
Quote:
So I met an older guy who happens to be British, complete with accent *swoon*

Anyway, there's been solid eye contact, giggling, flirting and sharing of phone numbers and asking about weekend plans etc. He always compliments what I'm wearing telling me I look great or nice.

I thought I saw a wedding band so I backed off but when asked if he had done anything for memorial day with family he said no he was just working. I haven't seen the ring since. The flirtation has been ongoing for about a month. He's asked my age and if I was single and continues what I thought was intense flirting.

TBH I was just looking for a ONS with this guy and nothing more. So I texted him for the first time asking if he had plans and he called me cheeky. I've always associated cheeky as a negative thing?

Did I read the signals wrong or was his flirtation just for fun and I missed the memo?
i flirt with girls all the time, its in my nature to do so. if the girl responds positively, then we have a good time with it. if she doesnt, then i back off and stop flirting.

as for being cheeky, that depends on the context. it can mean many things, from high or low balling someone on price, to being a bit rude, to being a bit bold.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:34 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,145,152 times
Quote:

Lol, yes, it sure does sound like you really do respect marriage ...
Why would you ask or care whether he's married if it ultimately doesn't really matter to you?

Old 06-02-2014, 04:56 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,836,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Lol, yes, it sure does sound like you really do respect marriage ...
Why would you ask or care whether he's married if it ultimately doesn't really matter to you?
That's just what she said because she's a horrible liar. She really doesn't care.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:09 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,280,618 times
Cheeky is negative from what I understand so I would not equal that to flirting

Here's an idea, why not ask him if he is married before you ask him for drinks? Just saying.

Quote:

Go to a bar to find a guy to scratch your itch or buy a vibrator.

If you really preferred not to be involved with someone who is married then you would do all you could to find out beforehand if they are actually married.
He may have to "vouch" for his level of commitment but you appear to be the one who is tossing her tatas in his face to see if he'll give them a whirl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships