Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 AM

128 posts, read 183,800 times

Advertisements

I'm 22, currently taking a master's degree, never had a girlfriend. I had a crush on a girl for the first time about 2 months ago and now I notice girls a lot.

I can't be with someone for several reasons - my temper issues, upbringing, lack of time, avoiding stress, etc - so how do I go back to being who I was? A low profile dedicated student and athlete.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 PM

348 posts, read 498,119 times
Why not just be a player?? Just let them know that you're looking for a relationship. You're 22 have fun. You worry too much

Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCatarre View Post
I'm 22, currently taking a master's degree, never had a girlfriend. I had a crush on a girl for the first time about 2 months ago and now I notice girls a lot.

I can't be with someone for several reasons - my temper issues, upbringing, lack of time, avoiding stress, etc - so how I go back to being who I was? A low profile dedicated student and athlete.

Thank you in advance.
See your campus counseling center to deal with your temper and upbringing issues. Consider it to be an investment in your own future. This is the only time in your life that you'll have access to FREE counseling. Once you're out of school, you'll have to pay $150/hr. for qualified counseling.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:02 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
Default How to stop thinking about girls?

A VERY good question!

Old 08-19-2013, 12:04 PM

128 posts, read 183,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
See your campus counseling center to deal with your temper and upbringing issues. Consider it to be an investment in your own future. This is the only time in your life that you'll have access to FREE counseling. Once you're out of school, you'll have to pay $150/hr. for qualified counseling.
Counselling only helps superficial issues. Deep down, nobody ever changes. The good thing is that if you know it, you can avoid the problems that come with those issues.

But thank you.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Counselling only helps superficial issues. Deep down, nobody ever changes. The good thing is that if you know it, you can avoid the problems that come with those issues.

But thank you.
Not true at all.

You need some serious introspection, though right now might not be the time for it.

It is NATURAL to notice and be attracted to girls. This is the way you were made.

Just accept that it's normal and use your self-discipline to refocus on your studies and workouts when you find yourself daydreaming.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,299,494 times
Quote:

But thank you.
A man with issues who thinks therapy is a crock...how original.

If you have deep seeded issues that come from your upbringing, you're naive to think they wont manifest themselves in negative ways in your relationships.

There is no avoidance technique that is effective.

Take it from a female, getting her masters, with anger issues and complicated upbringing.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:

I can't be with someone for several reasons - my temper issues, upbringing, lack of time, avoiding stress, etc - so how do I go back to being who I was? A low profile dedicated student and athlete.

Thank you in advance.
Stay busy. If you have a FT job in addition to getting a Master's degree and a couple of other hobbies, you won't have time to think about women seriously.

Source: doing this myself now.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:18 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
Quote:

But thank you.
Hmmm. No one changes. You can't change. But you admit that you opened yourself up to the possibility of being with a woman for the first time just recently. That doesn't count as change?

How sad that young men like you (and there are a lot of them here on C-D) have already made decisions about their lifetime limitations at the tender age of their early 20s. It is not just sad, but also sort of bizarre and arrogant to be so sure about things when you are still almost a child with almost zero life experience.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:21 PM

936 posts, read 2,060,603 times
Quote:

Thank you in advance.
1.) Build a time machine.
2.) Go back in time.
3.) Destroy time machine.
4.) Find yourself from that time.
5.) Kill him and assume his identity. (That second part should be easy.)

Simple answer is: you can't. You can only move forward from here. If you have temper issues, it's time to work on them. If you want to avoid stress, then avoid it. If you want to keep a low profile, then keep your profile low. You can keep doing much of what you have been doing.

But you can't go back to not noticing girls. The toothpaste is out of the tube...so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships