Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:26 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,939 times

Advertisements

As a straight man, I always love the arrival of summer for the simple fact that women show more skin with their clothing. I'm sure some women feel the same way where they can check out guys with shorts on, swimsuits and perhaps shirtless guys jogging. Anyway, as a guy I never make comments to women that are strangers I see in public but would love to say something that shows I appreciate their legs or bikini or something else. I think there is an art to this perhaps. From my vantage point, if a woman made a comment about my legs or rear or something else, I would think 2 things. She is bold and I really appreciate the compliment. I know women have it differently because some men just say rude things like " I would love to tap that %$%#@ or things to that extent. But what about guys who just want to show some appreciation for the female form and maybe put a smile on a woman's face with a decent compliment. Thoughts from both sexes are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 11:31 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,182,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
As a straight man, I always love the arrival of summer for the simple fact that women show more skin with their clothing. I'm sure some women feel the same way where they can check out guys with shorts on, swimsuits and perhaps shirtless guys jogging. Anyway, as a guy I never make comments to women that are strangers I see in public but would love to say something that shows I appreciate their legs or bikini or something else. I think there is an art to this perhaps. From my vantage point, if a woman made a comment about my legs or rear or something else, I would think 2 things. She is bold and I really appreciate the compliment. I know women have it differently because some men just say rude things like " I would love to tap that %$%#@ or things to that extent. But what about guys who just want to show some appreciation for the female form and maybe put a smile on a woman's face with a decent compliment. Thoughts from both sexes are appreciated.
Lol Idk how old you are, but you seem to be at least mid 20's....
You've never approached a woman out of the blue to say something nice?
That's refreshing

As someone who gets this all the time, I can sincerely say, just be kind, honest & confident
Keep it clean, too!
Omg nobody wants a guy to come up (and it has happened) --
to say I need you on me, or I need to be in you
That's not uncommon but now I usually can spot the weirdos, lol

Old 06-10-2014, 11:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
I too love the summer and what it brings, esp being in a cold weather clime. But, I don't think it is appropriate to comment on they physical like that, even politely. My female friends generally find it objectifying. So, I comment on something else, make small talk, maybe even say that color is great on a piece of clothing (if appropriate) and the point gets across loud and clear without coming across as a cretin (despite being a cretin).

Old 06-10-2014, 11:34 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
The thing is, your wanting to show "appreciation for the female form" is objectifying women, so you're likely going to have as many women disgusted by your comments as flattered by them.

In summer, and after the winter we just had, I'm glad I'm not wearing 4 layers of clothing. Less clothing is because of the weather, not for your viewing pleasure.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:42 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
The thing is, your wanting to show "appreciation for the female form" is objectifying women, so you're likely going to have as many women disgusted by your comments as flattered by them.
Agreed. If you just have to say something, say something like "Good morning!" or "beautiful day, isn't it?" While most women will appreciate a sincere compliment, a stranger commenting on her body isn't always welcome or flattering.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:46 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
OP, most guys keep their appreciation of women's body parts to themselves. Or they yell their compliments from passing cars, as they make their getaway. About all you can do is tell her she's looking great today, or that she has a nice smile, or something.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:49 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Just say "You look very nice" and leave it at that.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:51 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
Appreciation of "the form" doesn't have to be vocal one. That is a choice not a prerequisite.
It also doesn't matter what your choice of words is if you're intent is still the same.

If you want to show appreciation just leave it at "generals" there is no need to get in to specific unless specifics are being discussed and appreciated in return.

That's not something you can know without actual discussion.

You don't have to speak vulgar words to be considered a vulgar person.

Last edited by rego00123; 06-10-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 11:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Seriously, if you want to smile and say hi, or say I look nice today, cool. Commenting on specific body parts is pretty much always going to have an "ick" factor. Particularly with some random person on the street who you don't know. My husband can tell me he likes how a certain dress makes my legs look. Some rando saying the same thing while I walk across a parking lot isn't going to have the desired effect.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:02 PM

22 posts, read 38,795 times
Eh it depends on the woman.. I think it's safer to vocalize only if you are a good friend of the woman. I'm VERY introverted and personally get really uncomfortable as I don't really like people looking at me for too long and at the same time also making it known. It's kind of like having a spotlight on you, and I like to be hidden/unexposed even if I am wearing a little to a lot less in the summer day lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships