Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:13 PM

628 posts, read 1,392,515 times

Advertisements

Have any of you ever been and are you currently in a relationship with a man that doesn't conform to a strict idea of 'masculinity'?

Examples include wearing clothing, living in a way, etc. that according to your culture is considered "feminine" such as wearing dresses and make-up or staying at home being domestic taking care of the children while some one else works?~

How does this make you feel, what are the 'positive things' you can share about, and what, if any, are some challenges or things you are still taking time to 'get used to'?

This doesn't just apply to heterosexual relationships, but every one is encouraged to share their views and experiences on this topic.~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 11:08 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,990,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Have any of you ever been and are you currently in a relationship with a man that doesn't conform to a strict idea of 'masculinity'?

Examples include wearing clothing, living in a way, etc. that according to your culture is considered "feminine" such as wearing dresses and make-up or staying at home being domestic taking care of the children while some one else works?~

How does this make you feel, what are the 'positive things' you can share about, and what, if any, are some challenges or things you are still taking time to 'get used to'?

This doesn't just apply to heterosexual relationships, but every one is encouraged to share their views and experiences on this topic.~

I'd have been dumped in a heartbeat by just about all of my girlfriends if I acted feminine.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:17 PM

678 posts, read 1,067,888 times
I've had a couple of female bosses that worked while their husbands stayed home with the children. They're weren't feminine in any way that's just the way things worked out as the females had a more successful career.

Other than goths, I don't know any straight guys that wear dresses just because. There were guys that wore mens make-up when then would go out to the clubs in Scottsdale when I lived in Arizona. But again they weren't feminine it was just part of their "going out to the club" routine.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,969,242 times
Staying home with the kids: good
Wearing dresses: not in my box

I have found, for me, relationships don't work if I am more (professionally) accomplished or make significantly more money than he does. It seems to be problematic on a lot of levels.

I did go out with a guy who later admitted he wanted a sugar mama and he believed in polyamory. So you know what that means. He wanted cake, diamonds and the house...by finding a few different ladies to take care of each of his physical, emotional, and financial needs.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,478,726 times
Taking care of your children is neither masculine or feminine, it's just taking care of your responsibilities.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,072,445 times
There is some difference between a man having a clothing fetish or something, vs a man contributing to childcare or home chores.

Since when is taking care of your kids being feminine anyway?

I thought in this day and age, society was moving away from shaming men into having to bottle up their feelings and desires, and acting like a stereotypical "manly" man.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,782,805 times
My husband has about every Erasure song known to man, but otherwise no.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,087,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'd have been dumped in a heartbeat by just about all of my girlfriends if I acted feminine.

In a second. I've dated many bi women, and kinksters, but when they want to date a man, they want to date a man.

I have some female friends that like more androgynous or gender fluid males, but they're a small minority, and they tend to, and I'm sorry to say this, have issues with men... they're straight, but there were issues in their past... understandable ones. They're often dommes too.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:56 AM

22,677 posts, read 47,874,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post

Wearing dresses and makeup would not fly with me.
Taking care of your children is not being female... it is being a responsible parent.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,797,895 times
Why do you ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships