Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 PM

244 posts, read 707,641 times

Advertisements

Why are people given a hard time from others just because they decide not to date or find a relationship with the opposite or same gender? This isn't a pity thread or attacking one gender or another, personally I think relationships are an amazing experience if and only when both parties are comfortable with who they are. Same thing I can say with being single, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to pursue or date. One of my friends asked me the idea of casual dating or taking relationship/dating classes just to gain experience. I simply said no because I don't see the point of dating when you're not interested, of course things can change as someone grows older.

I just wanted to hear people's thoughts on the matter, I've seen a couple of threads where people question why someone wouldn't date person x for whatever reason. I'm interested in hearing people's opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 06:31 PM

11,398 posts, read 24,468,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
Why are people given a hard time from others just because they decide not to date or find a relationship with the opposite or same gender? This isn't a pity thread or attacking one gender or another, personally I think relationships are an amazing experience if and only when both parties are comfortable with who they are. Same thing I can say with being single, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to pursue or date. One of my friends asked me the idea of casual dating or taking relationship/dating classes just to gain experience. I simply said no because I don't see the point of dating when you're not interested, of course things can change as someone grows older.

I just wanted to hear people's thoughts on the matter, I've seen a couple of threads where people question why someone wouldn't date person x for whatever reason. I'm interested in hearing people's opinions.

It's really no big deal. If you don't want to date, don't.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:33 PM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
Why are people given a hard time from others just because they decide not to date or find a relationship with the opposite or same gender?:
Generally speaking, that does not happen. But apparently that happens to you a lot, right?

As ellie said: "It's really no big deal. If you don't want to date, don't."

Old 06-12-2014, 06:35 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,728,944 times
I have seen and experienced the same thing.

Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with it either. Relationships are a personal thing and happen in their own time. It shouldn't be anyone else's concern but yours. You are perfectly fine the way you are.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:40 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,433,597 times
Why? bc people see it as laziness. Many of the most rewarding things in life take a lot of hard work and effort.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:48 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,196,040 times
Well with society as it is, lots of infasis is placed on relationships, and more importantly, sex.

If someone is single, many wonder why? They think it's because they're weird, or nobody wants them. So, that makes them a target for ridicule , or something like "least I am better than them." I had no boyfriend in HS, and a guy says I was mad because "nobody wanted" me. In truth, I just didn't like him, and his friends, because they were all jerks. Me being single had no influence on that.

Nowadays many people measure another's worth by how much they date, or can get laid. Or, that being single is sad and lonely, and everyone should experience love.

I have been asked a few times why don't I have a boyfriend. Which is an annoying question. How can I answer that? I am ugly, and guys don't like me I guess. Maybe that's the answer they're looking for. I just say that, and move on. "Idk, i'm ugly I guess." Then go on about my business, and they no pursue any further.

My friend got her boyfriend when she was around 19 or 20. She texted me after her date to say how great it was. I congratulated her. I met her boyfriend once. Seemed like a nice guy, so that was good. Later she texted to talk about him, which was fine. But then the convo got around to me, with her asking if I met any guys yet. I simply said no. Then, annoyingly, she asked "Why?" Again, how should I know? So, then she wants to go on about hoping I can find someone, as if I was a pity case. But the convo didn't get far because I didn't make effort to continue it. She just kept feeding me the classic old lines, and I would reply "Eh" to every last one of them. Until she changed the subject.

If people wanna chat about their relationships to me, fine. I don't mind. But I find it annoying when they bring it to me and wanna get details on why I am not matched up.

So, some people just buy into that. If you're single, or not having casual sex, you're lonely, or a loser. But if you're happy single, that's great. Because relationships are not guarantee, so it's best to learn to be very happy single, then a relationship can add to the happiness, but not have happiness based around it.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:52 PM

291 posts, read 506,376 times
Tell your friend to mind her own business. wth is a dating class anyway Lol.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:10 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,728,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Well with society as it is, lots of infasis is placed on relationships, and more importantly, sex.

If someone is single, many wonder why? They think it's because they're weird, or nobody wants them. So, that makes them a target for ridicule , or something like "least I am better than them." I had no boyfriend in HS, and a guy says I was mad because "nobody wanted" me. In truth, I just didn't like him, and his friends, because they were all jerks. Me being single had no influence on that.

Nowadays many people measure another's worth by how much they date, or can get laid. Or, that being single is sad and lonely, and everyone should experience love.

I have been asked a few times why don't I have a boyfriend. Which is an annoying question. How can I answer that? I am ugly, and guys don't like me I guess. Maybe that's the answer they're looking for. I just say that, and move on. "Idk, i'm ugly I guess." Then go on about my business, and they no pursue any further.

My friend got her boyfriend when she was around 19 or 20. She texted me after her date to say how great it was. I congratulated her. I met her boyfriend once. Seemed like a nice guy, so that was good. Later she texted to talk about him, which was fine. But then the convo got around to me, with her asking if I met any guys yet. I simply said no. Then, annoyingly, she asked "Why?" Again, how should I know? So, then she wants to go on about hoping I can find someone, as if I was a pity case. But the convo didn't get far because I didn't make effort to continue it. She just kept feeding me the classic old lines, and I would reply "Eh" to every last one of them. Until she changed the subject.

If people wanna chat about their relationships to me, fine. I don't mind. But I find it annoying when they bring it to me and wanna get details on why I am not matched up.

So, some people just buy into that. If you're single, or not having casual sex, you're lonely, or a loser. But if you're happy single, that's great. Because relationships are not guarantee, so it's best to learn to be very happy single, then a relationship can add to the happiness, but not have happiness based around it.
^^^^
Agreed.

Yup, it's really not that important until you find someone you genuinely care about. My family swears up and down I am a lesbian because they never see or hear about me with a guy.

In all honesty I do like guys but it has never gotten farther than us just talking. If the opportunity for me to date someone I like came up...I'd take it of course, but nothing in between. I guess it's easy for people to follow behind each other rather than lead when it comes to societal norms.

It used to bother me, but not anymore.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,961 times
Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to date at all. If you feel like you're not ready to date then I guess you can wait on it until you're ready. Depending on how old you are, so if you're still young and you're not ready for a relationship then take your time and do what you do.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:04 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,280,618 times
If you don't want to date then don't date, no one else should care what you do with your life.
If the topic is brought up by friends or family just tell them that topic is not open for discussion and end the conversation.
Set boundaries and stick to them and do what you want without worrying with the opinions of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships