Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,112,957 times

Advertisements

Another good reason suburbs blow! If I need a car I just zip car. So much simpler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 06:26 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,912,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Of course there are. But men are far more likely to OLD than women, including the good ones. There are many more men than women on old sites and OLD is more taboo with women than men.
Not the good men in Nila's preferred age range - those guys are too busy actually living their lives to be sitting at a computer trying to attract a woman.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:05 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,002,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Probably the great profiles for the women are just fake profiles meant to bilk men out of money...

If their email is something like eharmonybot142@yahoo.com ? She probably isn't real...
I was only talking about the ones i go out with

Old 06-13-2014, 08:11 PM

52,408 posts, read 52,919,967 times
I can't really comment too much as I'm not perusing the personal ads, but that being said, things generally tend to be fairly similar in most things in life, exceptions of course, but generally speaking, I can't really believe that most of the women online daters all have their **** together and most of the men don't....just doesn't seem very accurate..

Again... I may be wrong, just standing back and looking at the big picture...

Last edited by Chowhound; 06-13-2014 at 08:20 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 08:29 PM

818 posts, read 920,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I wrote this in jillabean's thread, and then worried it would distract from her topic so I have moved it here:

I wonder if sometimes women over 35 tend to value things about ourselves that are not what most men value.

I look at the dating profiles of women my age, and they really are awesome! They look good, are fit, have all kinds of cool jobs and hobbies. It's easy to tell that they love life, and have great relationships with their friend and family. Most of them I would rate 8-10.

Then I look at the profiles of the men. Some seem to be living life at about the same level as the women. But there is far more obvious dysfunction in their profiles. Many are clearly clinically depressed, there are clues to alcoholism and drug addiction. About a third of them seem to be doing the peter pan thing.

Why is this? Are men just less aware of how they portray themselves? Are the good men really all taken? Does online dating attract healthy women and unhealthy men?

I find this confusing and would welcome insights, particularly from those who know that I love men .
maybe women are better at" painting their picture " ?
this is speculation, but it seems like most women view OLD like shopping for shoes , they seem to be real picky about style and the look they are looking for
and men have more of the shotgun approach , we give it our best shot and take what ever we can get ??

Old 06-13-2014, 08:39 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,392,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Not only do they do so, but I'd venture to say it's common, at least in women's profiles. And that's not counting the "reverse lists", by listing all the dealbreakers, effectively making a list anyway.
Bahahaha. I did have a "don't message me if..." section at the end of my profile, which included those guilty of butchering the English language -- grammar and spelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Some sites allow you to get a little more specific than others in creating your profile. I might do a search and include 5'5" to 5'10" as what height I prefer and choose the salary range that is similar to mine, but I wouldn't put that in my profile.
I did have filters set, but definitely didn't have a list of what I was looking for in my profile.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:50 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,671,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Do people actually write a list of what they want, like income and looks, in their profile? Eek.
Sometimes people speak in code. For example, a woman might say she's looking for someone who's successful. But that might mean he's above a certain income or at a certain professional level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I like the aspect of college, mainly due to all my friends went to college. It's a commonality that we all went through a similar process together. It's something you have in common with that person that you can talk about. No different than a single parent preferring another person with kids. Commonalities and preferences are more important than what we tend to give credit for. What your friend said about over-reaching online happens in real life too, we just don't READ about it.
Yes, but some commonalities aren't that important. I'm not going to bond with someone just because we both went to college and experienced what it was like to live in a dorm, get drunk, and smoke pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not the good men in Nila's preferred age range - those guys are too busy actually living their lives to be sitting at a computer trying to attract a woman.
Does that mean we can infer the same thing about the women who are online, that the good ones are too busy living their lives and not sitting at a computer? We're ALL busy. But it doesn't take much time out of your day to read a couple profiles or respond to a few emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
maybe women are better at" painting their picture " ?
this is speculation, but it seems like most women view OLD like shopping for shoes , they seem to be real picky about style and the look they are looking for
and men have more of the shotgun approach , we give it our best shot and take what ever we can get ??
How is that different than the real world?

Old 06-14-2014, 12:31 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,912,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Does that mean we can infer the same thing about the women who are online, that the good ones are too busy living their lives and not sitting at a computer? We're ALL busy. But it doesn't take much time out of your day to read a couple profiles or respond to a few emails.
Actually, news flash, men and women are different!

For instance, it's a known fact that in general women use about 3 times the amount of words in a day than men do.

My comment that good men of a certain age are not on the computer looking for women was not a knock against men, just a statement of fact. A fact I actually find comforting.

And no, just because more women ARE online looking for men does not mean they aren't "good" women. Online dating is just more common across the age spectrum in women than it is in men.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:35 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,809,330 times
Quote:
Online dating is just more common across the age spectrum in women than it is in men.
Like Timberline, I'm going to have to disagree here, as would the numbers from OKC. There are far more men online than women, "good" and otherwise.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:44 PM

48,629 posts, read 35,093,855 times
Quote:
Actually, news flash, men and women are different!

For instance, it's a known fact that in general women use about 3 times the amount of words in a day than men do.

My comment that good men of a certain age are not on the computer looking for women was not a knock against men, just a statement of fact. A fact I actually find comforting.

And no, just because more women ARE online looking for men does not mean they aren't "good" women. Online dating is just more common across the age spectrum in women than it is in men.
I have to disagree. When dating in my 40s there were quite a few decent guys in my age range on OLD, lawyers, pilots, officers.....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships