Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:23 AM

131 posts, read 149,086 times

Advertisements

Do you find there is more pressure on one gender to get married and settle down after 30? Or is the pressure about equal?

Now that I'm over 30 a lot of my friends are rushing into serious relationships and many are getting married or already married. It sucks for me because I still enjoy playing the field and going out on the weekends. Its becoming more difficult as I have very few unattached friends now. What surprised me is the speed of this change. Basically I went from having loads of single friends to only a few in less than 2 years.

I still have no interest in settling down, marriage or kids anytime soon.

I don't know what it is about age 30, but it seems like people have some kind of complex with that age. A lot of women have meltdowns when they turn 30. Especially if they are still single. I think this is ridiculous. And all the 27-29 year old women freaking out and feverishly looking for a partner before it is "too late" as if you become a senior citizen on your 30th birthday.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 11:27 AM

102,312 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Zen View Post
Do you find there is more pressure on one gender to get married and settle down after 30? Or is the pressure about equal?

Now that I'm over 30 a lot of my friends are rushing into serious relationships and many are getting married or already married. It sucks for me because I still enjoy playing the field and going out on the weekends. Its becoming more difficult as I have very few unattached friends now. What surprised me is the speed of this change. Basically I went from having loads of single friends to only a few in less than 2 years.

I don't know what it is about age 30, but it seems like people have some kind of complex with that age. A lot of women have meltdowns when they turn 30. Especially if they are still single. I think this is ridiculous. And all the 27-29 year old women freaking out and feverishly looking for a partner before it is "too late" as if you become a senior citizen on your 30th birthday.

Your thoughts?
This didn't happen to me. Only 1 woman among my friends got married so far, and that was in her late 20's. The rest are still single. Same with the guys--still single. I don't think there's any pressure. Even if there were, what difference would it make? It takes two to tango. There's really not a whole lot you can do about it, if you don't find people you're compatible with, or you don't attract attention.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:11 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,021,320 times
When I reached 25 or so, I felt that relationships of less than 5 years were 'been there, done that'. A longer relationship, 10 years or more, seemed like new and exciting territory. I wanted to see what it would be like.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:17 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,758,998 times
Most of my old friends are married/in LTR and/or have kids and we have nothing in common anymore IMO. That's why I don't bother to contact them.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:18 PM

52,408 posts, read 52,925,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Zen View Post

Your thoughts?
I can in some ways see some people's "freaking out" about 30... just in terms of relationships, because it's true to a degree that by the late 20's and 30, that a lot of people are snatched up and married and having kids, if that's on their life plan. The pickings do get a little slimmer at those ages.

That's the first phase of relationships in a way, the second phase is all of the same people now in their late 30's or 40's that are divorced and are back in the dating market... so in a sense there is a gap.

This isn't across the board for everyone, obviously, but a very loose observation.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:55 PM

131 posts, read 149,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I can in some ways see some people's "freaking out" about 30... just in terms of relationships, because it's true to a degree that by the late 20's and 30, that a lot of people are snatched up and married and having kids, if that's on their life plan. The pickings do get a little slimmer at those ages.

That's the first phase of relationships in a way, the second phase is all of the same people now in their late 30's or 40's that are divorced and are back in the dating market... so in a sense there is a gap.

This isn't across the board for everyone, obviously, but a very loose observation.
And that social pressure to marry and settle down is why the divorce rate is so high. Marriage and settling down is not what a lot of people really want.. but they allow social pressure and fear to push them into a situation they are no ready for or even suited for.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,987,805 times
Quote:

In California, the land of eternal youth, when I meet divorced people my age, they tend to be from elsewhere. And lots of people are just getting started getting settled around 30-ish. In my circle it is around 50/50 these days.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:06 PM

52,408 posts, read 52,925,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
In California, the land of eternal youth, when I meet divorced people my age, they tend to be from elsewhere. And lots of people are just getting started getting settled around 30-ish. In my circle it is around 50/50 these days.

I'm from So Cal and see lots of the same...

That's why I put the disclaimer in my post by saying a loose observation.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:21 PM

102,312 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is the thing. I think the "pressure" is regional. I never noticed any pressure at all in the West Coast areas where I've lived, or in liberal areas of the SW. I don't include Texas in my definition of SW, btw.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:24 PM

19,796 posts, read 20,389,380 times
Quote:

I'm noticing this a whole lot now with friends & acquaintances in my age group (30s-40s). Most the people I know who had kids in their 20s aren't with their child's mother or father anymore.. Some who are are admittedly miserable! The ones who aren't single have seemed to find greater loves w/ new partners who are good w/ the kids too.. But all in all, it all makes me so glad I didn't rush into marriage and children!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships