Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 07:33 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,027,050 times

Advertisements

OK so here is an interesting story. I'm almost 26, been graduated from university for about 4 years now. One of my old college friends (he's in his 30s, he was getting a Masters, & is now in his Doctorate) liked me back in the day. We liked each other really,

We used to hang out every now & then, he even introduced me to his sister & invited me for family dinner. I always got the feeling that he liked me, but he never asked me out...

Now, 4 years later,we are BOTH married & he decides to pour his heart out to me in along FB message, expressing his feelings & 'cowardliness', his words--not mine. Every now & then he will FB message me asking how I'm doing, I felt bad, but I wrote to him & told him he needed to grow with the woman he was with & love her very much.

I have a feeling he is not happy with his marriage & he is still a newlywed...

have any of you ladies/gents witnessed this? An old friend confessing their feelings AFTER you were taken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 07:46 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,716,751 times
Not necessarily taken, but after I was over them, or when I moved away.

When I had moved out of my home state for a few years, I had quite a few guys tell me how they felt AFTER the fact, and when they were in a relationship. I never actually believed the ones who were in a relationship because I felt they were trying to get me to be the "side piece."

Some people just don't realize what they have until it's gone. I am kind of in a situation where I liked an old friend of mine, but I never told him how I REALLY felt, even though all the signs were there, but the fact that we were so far away is what eventually killed it. I live with the regret every day, and I am still not over it.

I am not going to bother him with it now since it has been so long. I try not to think about it, because it really makes me sad ehhh enough of that, but I can understand your irritation.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:51 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
I had an ex call me a few months after I got married and suggest my wife and I divorce so she and I could get back together. As if... I'd rather die and be reincarnated into a square of toilet paper in my next life than ever see that psycho b again, much less ever be her partner again.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:53 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
It's not real, it's just something that happens when change happens and panic sets in for some reason. People always look at their past decisions and start second guessing.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:57 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times
I had an ex contact me a few years after we split. I had broken up with her because I felt taken for granted. When she contacted me, it was shortly after she broke up with someone else. She didn't confess any feelings for me, but she did seem to be interested in learning whether I was single or not. I made it clear though that I'd moved on.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:09 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
Yes, it happened to me once. I was engaged and 1 week before my wedding. I figured he was too scared to tell me when I was single, and felt like it was safer to tell me once I was taken. That way when I rejected him, he could rest easy that it was because I was taken.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
OK so here is an interesting story. I'm almost 26, been graduated from university for about 4 years now. One of my old college friends (he's in his 30s, he was getting a Masters, & is now in his Doctorate) liked me back in the day. We liked each other really,

We used to hang out every now & then, he even introduced me to his sister & invited me for family dinner. I always got the feeling that he liked me, but he never asked me out...

Now, 4 years later,we are BOTH married & he decides to pour his heart out to me in along FB message, expressing his feelings & 'cowardliness', his words--not mine. Every now & then he will FB message me asking how I'm doing, I felt bad, but I wrote to him & told him he needed to grow with the woman he was with & love her very much.

I have a feeling he is not happy with his marriage & he is still a newlywed...

have any of you ladies/gents witnessed this? An old friend confessing their feelings AFTER you were taken?
Yeah, no question he is unhappy in his life and marriage. You were wise to send him back to his wife. To do otherwise would not end well for either of you. If you hear from him about this again I would suggest you encourage him to get some counseling to aid him in figuring out his life.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:23 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
Yes - a few times. But they weren't taken - only I was taken. I think it would kind of upset me if they did it while they were taken.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
You have to wonder at the motivations of someone who would only profess their feelings under the "cover" of being taken.

"oh yeah, when you were single I said nothing..... but now that you are taken (I'm taken) 'here's my heart'"

Not.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yes - a few times. But they weren't taken - only I was taken. I think it would kind of upset me if they did it while they were taken.
When it happened to me, he wasn't taken but I was. It upset me that he didn't say anything before when I wasn't taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships