Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 01:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

How old are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 01:41 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
How old are you?
I'm in my early 20s...

Old 06-21-2014, 01:45 PM
SPV

66 posts, read 54,669 times
I stay friends with a friend I've liked for a long time but with the difference that she doesn't know about it (I think). Everything is cool.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:46 PM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
You don't want to be the reason he never lets go, moves on, gets married, never has kids....as long as you remain in his life IMO you are hurting him. So "should you" stay friends depends on whether you actually care about him or just like having him in your life no matter the cost to him.

There was a song in the late 60's or early 70's entitled "It's cruel to be kind", that is what he was talking about. You're not being a true friend by remaining in his life, IMO.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:28 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Have him over and burn.. I mean cook a nasty dinner.

Suck on garlic to sweeten your breath.

Act like you have been thinking of "us" as you are burning dinner and talking.

See if he still likes you.

Wear your granny panties and anything else that is unattractive.

Lay a nice open mouth fishy kiss on him with your fresh garlic breath.

Tell him thanks for the nice evening and for letting you 'be yourself.'
I feel like this still leaves too much up for interpretation. Just kick him in the balls next time you see him and walk away while yelling, I don't like you.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:50 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,599 times
In my experience they usually move on... And end up marrying a girl who resembles you!

That's happened to me several times. The first time it was a guy I dated in HS. A bunch of friends met up a few years later and he was sort of a friend of a friend so he tagged along. His fiancée (now wife) had my same coloring, same hairstyle when we dated... Everything.

Another friend who wanted to be more eventually met someone, and at their wedding everyone kept remarking how much I looked like the bride.

My advice is to be clear as possible and tell him why you are distancing yourself. Hopefully he will be able to step away long enough to get over you and move on.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:12 PM

542 posts, read 692,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Some of you already know my situation with a guy friend of mine. I have mentioned it a few times.

He has been stuck on me for YEARS. I never actually "liked" him anymore than a friend and for a while I thought that's all I thought he wanted in the first place, until he confessed his feelings for me at the end of freshmen year. I told him I didn't feel the same way about him and that was that for a while. We no longer spoke and eventually he started dating my ex best friend. The relationship didn't last long because she discovered he still had feelings for me.

He tried contacting me while still in a relationship with her but of course I rejected him, because he was dating my best friend. Pretty much everyone disapproved of the relationship because he and I were friends before she "waltzed in" and decided she wanted him. I didn't really care that they dated but everyone else was really bothered by it. Eventually they broke up and he hasn't dated anyone since. We got back into contact and he kept saying he's still in love with me and hopes we can be together one day, saying he really hates the decision he made with being with her.

Ever since then, I have been trying to really pull away and I tell him all the time he needs to move on from me, because we will probably never be anything more than what we were in high school. He REFUSES to walk out of my life and he is desperately trying to hold on to a future with me, and he gets deeply upset if I try to end the friendship completely. He's not crazy or stalker or anything he just talks to me on daily basis like a normal friend does but I know deep down inside it really bothers him that we just cannot be. I really want him to move on but he is dead set on the fact that I am the one he is suppose to be with.

In truth, I really hate the fact he feels that way. I know that sounds incredibly ungrateful but it's the truth I don't want to keep hurting him. I know the obvious answer is to just end the friendship so he can move on. But really just want to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this. Have any of you been in this situation before?

Sorry for the essay.
OP, to clarify a bit - it was freshman year of high school he confessed his feelings for you, and you mentioned that you're in your early 20s, so it's been about 5-8 years that he's been pining for you?

I know you said he's not crazy or stalkery, but from what you wrote, his behavior is trending toward that. He doesn't listen to you, gets upset when you try to cut off contact, has refused to date anyone else, and has been engaging in this behavior for several years?

Have you had another boyfriend in this time frame? How did he react?

Someone else posted:
Quote:
You don't want to be the reason he never lets go, moves on, gets married, never has kids....as long as you remain in his life IMO you are hurting him. So "should you" stay friends depends on whether you actually care about him or just like having him in your life no matter the cost to him.
I disagree with this. I wouldn't adopt the mindset that you're at fault for his feelings or if he dies alone because he kept waiting for you. You've been clear enough to him. As an adult, he can be responsible for his own life and decisions.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:23 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
It's not purely a friendship when someone is harboring feelings that are not mutually shared.

As such, you can it "just" treat it as a plutonic and friendly situation.
The intent is not the same.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:46 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,614 times
If the fact that he has feelings for you doesn't make you uncomfortable, then I don't see why you should stop being his friend. I'm assuming that you're either convinced that he won't try to start a relationship in the future, or that if he does, you won't be bothered by it. If you ever start feeling uncomfortable or he starts getting needy or mentally unstable you should probably cut him out of your life, it's not worth it.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:49 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
OP, to clarify a bit - it was freshman year of high school he confessed his feelings for you, and you mentioned that you're in your early 20s, so it's been about 5-8 years that he's been pining for you?

I know you said he's not crazy or stalkery, but from what you wrote, his behavior is trending toward that. He doesn't listen to you, gets upset when you try to cut off contact, has refused to date anyone else, and has been engaging in this behavior for several years?

Have you had another boyfriend in this time frame? How did he react?

Someone else posted:

I disagree with this. I wouldn't adopt the mindset that you're at fault for his feelings or if he dies alone because he kept waiting for you. You've been clear enough to him. As an adult, he can be responsible for his own life and decisions.
No...he new about a guy I liked and found out it ended me getting my feelings hurt.

He was upset but he didn't do anything. He actually didn't talk to me for a while after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships