Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:22 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Not a good idea ...
They ruin EVERYTHING !!!
Then we can have a "The feminists ruined my party!" party.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:24 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My favorite is the implication that before feminism was a golden age when every man would be assigned a woman to cook and clean and provide sex on demand. Now that the evil feminists have brainwashed women into thinking that they're people, it's all gone to hell.
Bang on.

The thing is, I never hear these same men who complain about "feminism" complain about the easy, commitment-free sex they now feel they're entitled to (often within 3 dates!). They seem to forget that, in previous generations, most young women did NOT provide sex on demand. Sex outside of marriage was highly frowned upon, and if young men wanted sex, they had to at least "put a ring on it." They understood that very clearly. Hence the reason most people married at such early ages.

What began to change that, of course, was the development of the birth control pill around 1960. But increased access to the Pill for unmarried women only became a reality later in the decade with the sexual revolution and the feminist movement both underway.

It's important to remember, though, that the sexual revolution (which created our far more liberal sexual attitudes and practices of today) NEVER could have, or would have, occurred alone - that is, without the concurrently emerging ideology of "women's liberation."

Old 06-24-2014, 11:27 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Actually I think men have benefitted enormously from the feminist soft revolution. Before feminism, women were protected from male advances like pale delicate flowers and there was little pre-marital sex, or at least it was a lot more difficult.

After the feminist revolution it seemed like men thought they should have access to all the free sex they wanted--at least from my memories of coming of age in the 70's and I remember more than one temper tantrum if they didn't get what they thought they should have and a couple even tried (and didn't succeed) to take it by force. I'd like to think that things have moderated somewhat but maybe men my age are just not as driven by hormones and maybe I've gotten wiser about whom I'll accept a date with.

The trouble with that attitude though is that there is much bitterness among those who don't get the "free goodies" and they feel that in the old days at least they might have at least gotten a wife, but truth is that there was no golden age and many men went west rather than face the social stuff at home and many women actually chose spinsterhood rather than put up with devoting her life to a man.

In case you all think I'm being bitter and hateful about men, I'll just say that there are good men and bad men in every day and age and people who fall thru the cracks in every society and I'm guessing they would be the same types most of the time. To me, feminism just means we all have more choices.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:31 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Let's have a "It's finally done -The Feminists ruined everything!" party.
(I'm always looking for a reason to have a party)
Not a good idea !!

They ruin EVERYTHING !!!

Old 06-24-2014, 11:32 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Oh I agree, but I think when it comes to something like this.. only the extreme ones will actually call themselves a feminist. If you think of about it, majority of what a middle of the road feminist would be is what a typical person would call an independent modern woman.

Woman with a job, doesn't expect the guy to support her. No reason to call herself a feminist, she's just not a human leech like some other women out there who claim to be "traditional".

Good point, although there are male leeches I've encountered......
I don't call them leeches so much as I call them dead weight

Old 06-24-2014, 11:33 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
First they co-opted a perfectly good Fleetwood Mac song and now one of my Metallica favorites?

Whiners ruin everything.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:34 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
First they co-opted a perfectly good Fleetwood Mac song and now one of my Metallica favorites?

Whiners ruin everything.
Help! Help! You're being oppressed!

Old 06-24-2014, 11:35 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
[/b]

Good point, although there are male leeches I've encountered......
I don't call them leeches so much as I call them dead weight
Yeah, but it is kind of on different terms. If a guy is a leech or mooch, it's the type of lazy guy who sits in his house and smokes pot. Just a pathetic dude who is nothing but lazy.

When a woman is like this, it's usually more or less due to entitlement. They think they are god's gift to man and she should not have to lift a finger for anyone.

Both people suck, they are just leeches on different terms. What's even worse is that people of both sexes will play into their games

Old 06-24-2014, 11:41 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah, but it is kind of on different terms. If a guy is a leech or mooch, it's the type of lazy guy who sits in his house and smokes pot. Just a pathetic dude who is nothing but lazy.

When a woman is like this, it's usually more or less due to entitlement. They think they are god's gift to man and she should not have to lift a finger for anyone.

Both people suck, they are just leeches on different terms. What's even worse is that people of both sexes will play into their games

You nailed this....on all points.
I know a young guy who makes 80k a year...his gf doesn't work, doesn't wanna work & does absolutely nothing for him.
If anything she has become dead weight for him now.
And honestly she's not exactly a 10....
I can't stand watching it.

And, I know a guy or 2 in their mid 20's that don't work, but sit around on the net all day, every day...
or play xbox like teenagers with no desire to improve their lives.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I think this one's done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships