Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 07:57 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,417,152 times

Advertisements

Never been that motivated to marry. I liked the idea in the abstract growing up, but never really had it on my list of goals.

I was an only child who grew up in a fairly isolated area. I'm used to doing my own thing, even if I'm a pretty sociable adult.

I'm surrounded by people in happy marriages, but I'm also surrounded by just as many people in miserable marriages. I'm not going to settle for something less than spectacular when I'm in a pretty good situation. I'm more interested in a life well-lived than checking off boxes on a to-do list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 08:35 AM

88 posts, read 167,747 times
I would never give someone the power to financially ruin my life. Besides, I don't like being questioned over every breath I take.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,662,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'm now 31 going on 32 and almost 2 years single. I now have some savings and am buying a house. Quite frankly, I don't feel like I need to be married right now and have become more comfortable with myself. Sometimes I miss the relationship moments and I particularly miss having someone who's reliable & trustworthy that I can count on. Other than that, things are going okay and I really value my independence now.

I hate getting the "why aren't you married" question. I usually get it from relatives and I take offense when they ask it.

I agree that there is a stigma attached to being never-married. My suspicion is that it comes from people who realize that they made mistakes and it makes them feel insecure to be around people who did not make them.
I think it's very important to be comfortable with oneself before ever considering marriage. Too many people buy into the "you complete me" nonsense and feel like there's something missing if they're not married. It's no wonder so many people end one marriage and then get right back into another one. They just can't get used to the idea of being alone. As for the stigma to being a never-married, I'm not sure it has to do with insecurity about their mistakes. I think people just get off on judging others. People with kids judge those who don't want kids. People who are in relationships judge those who are single. And people who are married judge those who have never been. It's all about feeling good about yourself. Sadly, some people can't do that without criticizing those who made different choices.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,850,702 times
I have enough of my own junk splattered across every area of my floor, I don't need more.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:45 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,066,273 times
I say, "Because marriage is a bad deal for a man",

Old 07-05-2014, 04:16 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,952,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
Let's see dead end job do not make much money to feed a family . Do not have a good job to provide the life style I want for my family.
Used to be even the poor got married. A benefit is you can't lose much.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:05 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,651,435 times
I would love to find a good girl to marry. They'd have to share the same faith and savior in Jesus Christ, be attractive physically/emotionally. Other than that they have to love and desire to be with me. From my end, I feel I need to be able to be a provider and a protector for her. I've struggled with this last bit in this economy. Making $12 an hour is barely supporting me let alone a family.

I've been doing the school thing for a majority of my twenties into my early thirties (not continuous.. 33 years old at this time).

Sadly I feel as if I'm missing (missed?) the window however. A very lonely existence. trying not to lose hope in it...

Old 07-06-2014, 01:05 AM

4,338 posts, read 7,517,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I would love to find a good girl to marry. They'd have to share the same faith and savior in Jesus Christ, be attractive physically/emotionally. Other than that they have to love and desire to be with me. From my end, I feel I need to be able to be a provider and a protector for her. I've struggled with this last bit in this economy. Making $12 an hour is barely supporting me let alone a family.

I've been doing the school thing for a majority of my twenties into my early thirties (not continuous.. 33 years old at this time).

Sadly I feel as if I'm missing (missed?) the window however. A very lonely existence. trying not to lose hope in it...
What do you plan to do to earn more? Lol. So you have been in school for those years making just $12 an hour? Dude, a high school dropout makes more than that. Infact, I know a few college dropout who make twice as much as you make. They also have their own businesses. '
The people who are in 20s and early 30s are in school that I know are in Med school. Are you in Med school?

Old 07-06-2014, 02:27 AM

1,548 posts, read 916,118 times
I'm 50 and never had a relationship. People have never asked me why I never got married. I think they assume I'm gay.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:48 AM

411 posts, read 417,223 times
Good topic!

I have never been and never plan to marry. Simply does not interest me and I'm worried that even if I did marry at this late stage, I would feel trapped and start acting out and that would'nt be nice for anyone. I know that a lot of people believe that it's "unthinkable" to be unmarried and have children but to them I say "tough *******".

Marriage is a man-made law and I'm not particularly religious anyway so I'll give it a miss thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships