Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:20 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
I got that some people on here view it that way however it's not going to change my wording.
That wasn't a shot at you, I was just mocking that ridiculous thread that somebody started on rating people numerically.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:20 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,639,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Being picky would WORK if women actually had different requirements. Most women like to think they have different requirement when most have the same requirements. over X height. over Y income. and over Z in looks.

If some women actually prefer low income men $40,000 and under

or if some women prefer short men 5"4 or under

or if some women prefer ugly men, then it would be completely fine to be "picky".

However if all women generally prefer the same thing, then most women will remain unhappy single or forced to settle.
Overlooking that what is 'picky' seems to be based on opinion being picky does work for many gals. So it may be off to seemingly imply that for women in general being picky doesn't work.

Most guys make average income, are average height (5'10''/5''9'') and are average looking. As most gals are also average it doesn't seem reasonable for gals to their lower criteria to less than average as I doubt most women remain unhappily single or forced to settle if they don't accept less than average males.

Last edited by udolipixie; 07-03-2014 at 09:31 AM..

Old 07-03-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
40% of American men are overweight/obese

50% of American men are over 5"10

10% of American men are around your age

Let's assume 30% of men are what you perceive as 8/10.

Let's add those up: 60% x 50% x 10% x 30% = 0.009

Meaning when you see 100 guys, maybe 1 guy will fit your standard.

However, notice that those requirements are also the same requirements of 1000 other women?

Well that 1 guy has options and why would he choose you?
Likely he would choose me as the 1000 other women he has as options likely don't fit such the standard I do. I'm not overweight/obese, the same age as him, not below average height, and I'm generally perceived as a 9/10 or 10/10 however I don't believe 9s and 10s exist so I rate myself as an 8.

It seems you're overlooking that I also have options. Likely when he sees 100 gals I'm that 1 that fits such standards just as he is that 1 out of 100.

Last edited by udolipixie; 07-03-2014 at 09:33 AM..

Old 07-03-2014, 09:54 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Overlooking that what is 'picky' seems to be based on opinion being picky does work for many gals. So it may be off to seemingly imply that for women in general being picky doesn't work.

Most guys make average income, are average height (5'10''/5''9'') and are average looking. As most gals are also average it doesn't seem reasonable for gals to their lower criteria to less than average as I doubt most women remain unhappily single or forced to settle if they don't accept less than average males.
Would you consider anything less than what's listed in the OP as "less than average"?

That's exactly the point. The typical criteria is well beyond "average", yet the person demanding said criteria often isn't.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Likely he would choose me as the 1000 other women he has as options likely don't fit such the standard I do. I'm not overweight/obese, the same age as him, not below average height, and I'm generally perceived as a 9/10 or 10/10 however I don't believe 9s and 10s exist so I rate myself as an 8.

It seems you're overlooking that I also have options. Likely when he sees 100 gals I'm that 1 that fits such standards just as he is that 1 out of 100.
I'm really, really not trying to sound offensive here, I promise. But to address the underlined: No, he wouldn't.

Disclaimer: If he really, in fact, would...then you'll just have to know it yourself, because you're not going to convince anybody. Such is the way of the Internet.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:35 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
Some women prefer guys that are 5"8 or taller

Some women prefer guys that are 6"2 or taller

This MEANS that the 6"4 guy has options from hundreds if not thousands of women and the 5"4 guy has none.
It doesn't really mean that. It means that these women have never had sex with a guy that much taller than they are and they don't realise it doesn't work very well.

Has no one mentioned yet that most of these so-called women's criteria are really men's criteria? When women say 'I won't date a guy who is shorter than I am in heels / makes less money than I do,' usually what they mean is, 'Those guys won't date me, because they are insecure, so I don't waste my time chasing after them.'

Many guys on his forum have mentioned that a woman who makes more $$ than them or is taller than them is in no way wife material.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:45 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I believe that height and higher income correlate due to the social favorability of taller men, and I would not be surprised if non-obesity correlated as well. Your factors probably need to be skewed somewhat. That said, anyone who lists that income as a minimum requirement is going to be fishing in a tiny, tiny pond and generally to be laughed at as a deluded fool.
Yeah... I agree.

Me, I just want men who are taller than me (I'm 5'4") and I don't want them morbidly obese or unhealthy, but otherwise, it all depends how they carry themselves. I want a guy with a career of some sort, but he doesn't have to make a X amount of money. And age isn't a big deal because it's more about how well we get along and can relate to one another than X age.

In short, I always just looked for guys that interested me. I like funny guys. I like smart guys. I don't mind if they're introverts... or extroverts (I probably prefer most introverts, really).

This may explain my dating and marriage successes, come to think of it.

I don't have a "list." I never have.

My husband, however, FITS THAT LIST.

And it was totally unplanned. Well... No. He's 6 feet tall, but I think most women would bend on that by a few inches unless they were very tall.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I
Has no one mentioned yet that most of these so-called women's criteria are really men's criteria? When women say 'I won't date a guy who is shorter than I am in heels / makes less money than I do,' usually what they mean is, 'Those guys won't date me, because they are insecure, so I don't waste my time chasing after them.'

Actually it means the explicitly state in their dating profiles. It is probably the most common female criteria weedout (height). Probably 75% of profiles I see say "looking for someone X or taller as I like to wear heels on occasion".

Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Actually it means the explicitly state in their dating profiles. It is probably the most common female criteria weedout (height). Probably 75% of profiles I see say "looking for someone X or taller as I like to wear heels on occasion".
Truth. Also, on my side of the country, almost nobody wears heels, so it's even more ridiculous.

Which pains me, as I'm a big fan of heels

Old 07-03-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I'm really, really not trying to sound offensive here, I promise. But to address the underlined: No, he wouldn't.

Disclaimer: If he really, in fact, would...then you'll just have to know it yourself, because you're not going to convince anybody. Such is the way of the Internet.
My dating experience shows that he would. I'm currently multi-dating 9 guys that fit my criteria and have others on my backburner for when I get bored of one of the guys I'm dating.

The notion that 'he has 1000 of other gals as options' overlooks that the guy has criteria of his own that most of those 1000 of other gals probably do not fit. While all those gals may want him the guy may not want all or most of them.

I likely fit the criteria of 1000 of other guys and those are my options however I have criteria of my own that most of those 1000 of other probably guys do not fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships