Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,217,975 times

Advertisements

I am in my early 20's and mom was talking to me about entering the relationship period. One thing women always value highly is a fantastic personality, and I want to know how to develop one. Should I take classes or self learn. I have a few bad habits that need to be extinguished immediately, so I am considering a change. I want to reform into a polished gentleman, and need to know how. Mom said she could only guide me so far, and now it's up to me as a full grown man. I am excited in undertaking the journey, but a rough direction would help me traverse this period. So, tell me how you went through the period of personality shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 07:20 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,621,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I am in my early 20's and mom was talking to me about entering the relationship period. One thing women always value highly is a fantastic personality, and I want to know how to develop one. Should I take classes or self learn. I have a few bad habits that need to be extinguished immediately, so I am considering a change. I want to reform into a polished gentleman, and need to know how. Mom said she could only guide me so far, and now it's up to me as a full grown man. I am excited in undertaking the journey, but a rough direction would help me traverse this period. So, tell me how you went through the period of personality shift.
Start with your conversations skills. Learn how to ask questions. Work on your voice tone, mannerisms, and facial expressions when talking to people.

Conversation is everything when it comes to relationships.

The better communicator you are the more people will like and respect you.

I suggest signing up for a Toastmasters program. Google the name.

Start with just being yourself and work on little improvements day by day.

The best way to learn is to position yourself to be around people that you admire and want to be like.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:26 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,807,257 times
I think Usamathman is spot on! Good advice. I especially like the idea of Toastmaters (it helps build confidence).

But one thing I would stress is your personality is most likely already "fantastic" for some women. You don't need to change who you are. Maybe tweak things, improve what you already have, and highlight your better qualities--but don't change yourself into someone you aren't just to please women you've never met. Besides, what woman woman likes, another might not like. Or what one woman hates, another may adore. So you can't please everyone. There are women who are attracted to your personality no matter what it is. For example:

One woman's fool might be a funny man and delightfully humor to another woman.
One woman's male chauvinist might be another woman's "old fashion gentleman."
One woman's nerd might be another woman's sexy smart.
One woman's dangerous and untrustworthy jerk might be another woman's fun and adventurous man.

See what I mean?

Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
OP, you seem to already have a handle on what you need to do. Lose the bad habits. Develop empathy, if it doesn't come naturally. Show an interest in people and in the world, don't make everything about you. (I don't know if you do that, but it's a common pitfall.)

Old 07-08-2014, 07:52 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,732 times
"The period of personality shift"? What are you talking about, OP? Do you mean, a transition from mostly hanging with a male posse to getting into the company of females? One thing is, you can't be crude and rude with women, you have to polish up your style, and join civilization, lol. Maybe if you explained to us better where you're at, we could help. Right now, I have no clue.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:44 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Welcome to manhood.

Be polite
Be attentive
Kind
Understanding
Aww heck! Tell Mom to bud out!!!

Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
What do you consider your bad habits?

Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Welcome to manhood.

Be polite
Be attentive
Kind
Understanding

Yes, all that good stuff ^

Blah...you will learn that that making money (providing) and fixing shiit around the house (handyman) is more valuable to a woman than your fantastic personality. Lol

Old 07-08-2014, 08:55 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
What do you consider your bad habits?

This, and I'm not sure what you mean by a "personality shift" You're in college, right, so you're never going to be in better situation to interact with people your own age and stage of life than right now. Do you have friends in general? Are you involved with any campus activities? If you're fun and interesting and people like you, then that's half the battle right there.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:06 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,184,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Welcome to manhood.

Be polite
Be attentive
Kind
Understanding

Lol probably the most important one...
I know guys older than the OP who haven't cut the apron strings.
Major turn off.

OP you have a great personality, (from what I see on the forums)
Just work on building up your confidence & assertiveness IRL.
I also agree w/ hawaiian .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Yes, all that good stuff ^

Blah...you will learn that that making money (providing) and fixing shiit around the house (handyman) is more valuable to a woman than your fantastic personality. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships