Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 04:15 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,101,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Those costs are a function of time. The longer it takes for you to spot the red flags, the higher the costs you'll have incurred by the time you end things. And it's not just you who's incurring those costs. It's also her. Maybe the red flags do eventually come out and you end things with her. As others have already pointed out, women can become very emotionally attached to someone if they're sleeping with them. So while you may someday decide to walk away and shrug your shoulders and say "at least the sex was great", she could have a harder time recovering. If the two of you aren't right for one another, better to find out sooner rather than later so at least she won't be as hurt if and when you do end it.

I don't thing men and women really are different in getting attached with sex. I've not seen it among my friends/relationships/associates, but your point with time investment has validity if you think spending time with someone is lost time, or a wasted resource, if it doesn't turn out to be a LTR or whatever you're ideally seeking. Sure, that makes sense, if that is your viewpoint. However, it really doesn't go along with the idea that the relationship will fizzle or bomb out if you move to fast. Actually the opposite, it means if you slow down it is more likely to fizzle quickly. It's actually a counterpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
My idea of sex was why I thought it fizzled. You craved new and exciting sex. Not just continuous sex with the same person. I was unfamiliar with your prior monogamous relationships, so I was taking your situation at face value.

Dating is just a crap shoot at times. Everyone who enters a race wants to cross the finish line, but there's going to be some people who wreck or have engine malfunctions. Everyone wants to cross the checkered flag, but sadly a percentage of people don't.

Why do you have an emotional buffer if you've had two serious relationships prior? You seem comfortable with your life direction and your decision making, so try narrowing down why this feeling comes. I tended to have similar feelings at 2 months with all the women I dated that ended up turning serious. Mainly do as I was committing myself to one person and all the emotional ups and downs that this one person will bring. I can handle myself emotionally, but that second person can be unpredictable at times and you can't just run away from every situation. Some of my situations fizzled just because I was a bit cowardly.

Woah, who said I had an emotional buffer? I don't. I never said I did, I was referring to another person's answer to my question and it made sense. It was a good answer. Who said those LTRs were monogamous? They (mostly) weren't. The longer one doesn't believe in monogamy for her and she wouldn't restrict herself to one gender. The other was monogamous when we were in the same city and not so when we weren't. And I've had much more than 2 relationships, I mean, I'm not young Some monogamous LTRs, some non monogamous LTRs, and of course short term relationships of all types. That was just the recent two.

Last edited by timberline742; 07-09-2014 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 04:41 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,298,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't thing men and women really are different in getting attached with sex. I've not seen it among my friends/relationships/associates, but your point with time investment has validity if you think spending time with someone is lost time, or a wasted resource, if it doesn't turn out to be a LTR or whatever you're ideally seeking. Sure, that makes sense, if that is your viewpoint. However, it really doesn't go along with the idea that the relationship will fizzle or bomb out if you move to fast. Actually the opposite, it means if you slow down it is more likely to fizzle quickly. It's actually a counterpoint.

Woah, who said I had an emotional buffer? I don't. I never said I did, I was referring to another person's answer to my question and it made sense. It was a good answer. Who said those LTRs were monogamous? They (mostly) weren't. The longer one doesn't believe in monogamy for her and she wouldn't restrict herself to one gender. The other was monogamous when we were in the same city and not so when we weren't. And I've had much more than 2 relationships, I mean, I'm not young Some monogamous LTRs, some non monogamous LTRs, and of course short term relationships of all types. That was just the recent two.
I'm looking at it from a monogamous standpoint only. I assumed your 8 and 5 year LTRs were monogamous as most people likely would. I guess I'm grasping at straws at this point.

I'm in a similar boat as you. Can get a woman to get in bed with me, but have a hard time getting a woman to stand next to me, that I'm equally interested in.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:50 PM

Well I'm not seeking any answers on my situation. All is good. Really good. I was just seeking comments/opinions on the notion of slowing down to not burn out. It does seem like it doesn't make sense to most people, which is actually encouraging.

And I hope it works for you. I've rarely had issues getting monogamous relationships in general, they're out there, just not too commonly with the person I really want, finding monogamy orientated really cool (mostly) straight kinkster women isn't the easiest thing to find. So be it. No biggie. Life's an adventure and I'm good being solo as I'm never lonely.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:59 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,298,400 times
Quote:
Well I'm not seeking any answers on my situation. All is good. Really good. I was just seeking comments/opinions on the notion of slowing down to not burn out. It does seem like it doesn't make sense to most people, which is actually encouraging.

And I hope it works for you. I've rarely had issues getting monogamous relationships in general, they're out there, just not too commonly with the person I really want, finding monogamy orientated really cool (mostly) straight kinkster women isn't the easiest thing to find. So be it. No biggie. Life's an adventure and I'm good being solo as I'm never lonely.
You have the right idea to walk around with. Life is a ride and I'm wanting to hang on. It will workout the way either of us want it in due time.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:58 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,288,655 times
Quote:

Um, HellOooo!? I'm right here and I've been hitting on you through this whole damn thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Um, HellOooo!? I'm right here and I've been hitting on you through this whole damn thread

When it rains, it pours

Where were you three weeks ago!

Old 07-09-2014, 07:13 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,978,209 times
Everything happens for a reason.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,821,369 times
Quote:
The poster CCL mentioned in their recent thread a very commonly expressed sentiment. That they didn't want to "go too fast and have the relationship burn hot and then fizzle out".

I hear this all the time. I'm feeling a bit of it myself right now as I'm spending a tremendous amount of time (like 6 dates not including our first meeting) in two and a half weeks with someone I just met in the wild.

We all have, or I would think most of us have had, those relationships that were incredibly fast moving and passionate and crashed in burn in a week, a month, or a summer and then poof... it disappears as fast as it started.

My question is, if people in that situation purposely slow things down, and make them more deliberate, does the relationship have a better chance of lasting a long time and being stable? Or does it just mean it will last a little longer, if any longer, and be less hot and intense?

I've had the mindset that if these flings, or short term relationships burn out, they were going to end anyway, so enjoy them for what they are. Yeah, I may get hurt, but that is part of opening yourself up to passion and connection and it is a damn good tradeoff in my book.

I hope this thing I am just starting has some legs, but it very well may crash and burn, and I'd be bummed, but it sure is fun right now. I feel so very alive (and dead tired!), but does giving in to it really increase the chances of failure?

I usually don't post to this forum.. but I have to wonder what is the "ideal' relationship according to these boards. ( chuckle). Either it's too fast, too slow, or non-existent. Can people ever be happy?

If someone is moving fast on you.. chances are they are BORED with you. I would say, you both are not a good match.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,996,518 times
Quote:
The poster CCL mentioned in their recent thread a very commonly expressed sentiment. That they didn't want to "go too fast and have the relationship burn hot and then fizzle out".

I hear this all the time. I'm feeling a bit of it myself right now as I'm spending a tremendous amount of time (like 6 dates not including our first meeting) in two and a half weeks with someone I just met in the wild.

We all have, or I would think most of us have had, those relationships that were incredibly fast moving and passionate and crashed in burn in a week, a month, or a summer and then poof... it disappears as fast as it started.

My question is, if people in that situation purposely slow things down, and make them more deliberate, does the relationship have a better chance of lasting a long time and being stable? Or does it just mean it will last a little longer, if any longer, and be less hot and intense?

I've had the mindset that if these flings, or short term relationships burn out, they were going to end anyway, so enjoy them for what they are. Yeah, I may get hurt, but that is part of opening yourself up to passion and connection and it is a damn good tradeoff in my book.

I hope this thing I am just starting has some legs, but it very well may crash and burn, and I'd be bummed, but it sure is fun right now. I feel so very alive (and dead tired!), but does giving in to it really increase the chances of failure?
Opposite for me, if something starts out slow I will end it because I'm bored.

I only go into relationships with people who I REALLY hit it off with right away, mainly because I get annoyed with many people and prefer just being alone.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:58 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,742,733 times
This kind of angst is exactly why it is good to be very clear on what you are looking for out in Singles-Land before you venture out. It saves a lot of confusion and self-searching. If for example you're clear that you're looking for a fling, then you won't be upset when it ends...and there won't be any building up of hopes that the fling could have lasted and become more serious. A relationship you're hoping to see last has to be handled differently at the outset, than the way you would handle the pacing and direction of a fling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships