Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:01 AM

283 posts, read 350,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I believe one should go into marriage or relationship with eyes wide open and informed but that's not the same as being worried about losing assets that haven't yet been accumulated.

If you already have accumulated assets and it is a concern you can protect those assets, you mate up with someone of equal financial, educational and career oriented status, you take time to get to know that person and be sure you are on the same page as best you can. You don't mate up with someone because they are hot or the sex was awesome, someone with no assets, no job, etc. etc.
i agree with your reasons for getting married, but considering the divorce rate is so high it would be
foolish to not think about what would happened if your marriage were to end in divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:07 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylonggamer View Post
i agree with your reasons for getting married, but considering the divorce rate is so high it would be
foolish to not think about what would happened if your marriage were to end in divorce.

When you look at it, it isn't all that high. Among people with a bachelors degree, 78% of all first marriages are still intact at the 20 year mark according to the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics. That is pretty amazingly stable.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,186,389 times
Quote:
Why? My husband and I spend our time focused on our marriage - not on our divorce. We don't consider divorce an option. When we have problems - we work through them. Others might view us as foolish but that's okay with us. To me, it's very freeing to not see divorce as an option.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:25 AM

283 posts, read 350,060 times
and you guys are probably a much better match for each other than most people who get married
additionally you have the benefit of 20 years of hindsight and knowing you're still married after 20 years

that's like someone owning a successful business for 20 years saying he never had a plan in case the business failed- pretty worthless since you couldnt have known going in it would definitely work out

Old 07-17-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
and you guys are probably a much better match for each other than most people who get married
additionally you have the benefit of 20 years of hindsight and knowing you're still married after 20 years

that's like someone owning a successful business for 20 years saying he never had a plan in case the business failed- pretty worthless since you couldnt have known going in it would definitely work out
We've only been married for 9 years. But we are wonderfully matched for each other. That's why we got married. And to me, a marriage is not like a business. In a business - you are depending on strangers. In a marriage - you are depending on each other.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:36 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,907,841 times
Quote:
if it's not about who makes more money then dont try to milk the person for more money when you're not together anymore
If your referring to alimony in most states that's pretty much old news.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:53 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,907,841 times
Quote:
What normally happens when the marriage end in divorce is this: You list marital assets and debt and what you consider your personal property. You discuss and decide what is fair and acceptable usually based on 50/50 split. People can do this without lawyers, courts and judges so you really cant blame divorce laws. Thing is emotions get in the way and couples can not agree on equitable splits.

What people need to focus on is how to prevent their marriage from ending in divorce and how to have an equitable marriage so if the marriage does end most likely the dissolution will be equitable.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:00 AM

13,664 posts, read 9,733,801 times
Quote:
Marriage is a partnership.... Be on the same page about this because once the partnership has begun everything from that point on becomes one, money, assets, debt, responsibilities, priorities, obligations.

If you cant get on board with that don't partner up.
What we need is an intermediate form of partnership, more serious and committed than boyfriend/girlfriend, but less so that traditional husband and wife. There are many situations where there is desire and adequate foundation to "partner up", but not to risk grievous financial consequences. There are many situations where just being boyfriend/girlfriend do not offers sufficient legal protections, but outright marriage incurs too many legal entanglements.

Quote:
If you already have accumulated assets and it is a concern you can protect those assets, you mate up with someone of equal financial, educational and career oriented status, you take time to get to know that person and be sure you are on the same page as best you can. You don't mate up with someone because they are hot or the sex was awesome, someone with no assets, no job, etc. etc.
As has already been noted, in most states the pre-marital assets are protected. The point of contention is what happens to earnings and new investments by one of the spouses during the marriage. Should those be split upon divorce, or should every party cleave strictly to his/her own? This matters because even if the bride and groom are may be equally matched when the marriage begins, careers unfold differently, and habits change. If one of the spouses undergoes a life-change and becomes addicted to gambling, for example, why should the other spouse have to suffer by splitting the incurred debt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Among people with a bachelors degree, 78% of all first marriages are still intact at the 20 year mark according to the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics. That is pretty amazingly stable.
That would explain the dearth of divorced college-graduates on the middle-aged dating market!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
We've only been married for 9 years. But we are wonderfully matched for each other.
While I hope that your (and everyone's) marriage thrives for a lifetime, it is worth taking heed that one never knows. In the 8th year of my former marriage, my then-wife and I were convinced that we were "wonderfully matched". In the 9th year we split.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

While I hope that your (and everyone's) marriage thrives for a lifetime, it is worth taking heed that one never knows. In the 8th year of my former marriage, my then-wife and I were convinced that we were "wonderfully matched". In the 9th year we split.
Why is it worth taking heed that one never knows? Is it worth taking heed that a meteor could fall on me and kill me? Is it worth taking heed that I could drop dead tomorrow? Why worry about things that haven't happened and most likely won't? Like I said, we don't consider divorce an option. Yes, anything could happen but I find it much healthier to look at our marriage as something to nurture and take care of than thinking about what we are going to do in case we divorce.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:32 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,629,679 times
Quote:
Can you imagine? Men actually want and LOVE their children.

Men actually ask a women to be their wife because they LOVE them and want to be with them and have a family with them. Not because they are so simple they are tricked into it.

And women actually LOVE their husbands and want to be with them.
Will this be your excuse when FORCED MARRIAGE becomes federal law? I mean, they'll use a fancier name just like in Australia. Common-law marriage, I think it sounds pretty and it still serves the same purpose in an age and day when people started avoiding marriage altogether.

but the way....

Quote:

This is just stupid and you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships