Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

The thin line between friendly or flirty......

So I've got a several month "flirtation" going on with a local restaurant owner. I am an unintentional flirt (and super friendly) and assume other chatty people are the same, so I am terrible at reading "flirting."

Anyway, the restaurant had a pre-opening dinner a couple months ago, and I attended with friends. They had been operating doing catering and occasional events out of a commercial kitchen, but I hadn't yet tried the food.

So I went to the dinner with some friends, and the service was uber-attentive. We ended up getting free appetizers, which I of course assumed were either courtesy for either "free stuff for friendly people" or the "brown people discount" (where if you go somewhere where there aren't many other people of color, fellow "brown people" are extra nice to you!).

And after we finished our food, half of the staff came over to chat with us, and we all had a good convo. (Again, we chalk this up to normal chatterbox behavior).

A few weeks ago, their permanent restaurant finally opened, I went for my b-day gathering, and of course saw my old buddy, the owner. We got more free appetizers and I get a glass of wine to celebrate my b-day! Obviously, this was birthday free stuff.

And today I was in the neighborhood at lunch time, and stopped in for a sandwich! This time he offered up a glass of wine, and we chatted at the bar, asking about my b-day weekend and sister. He hinted about his fave happy hour spots, and I totally missed the subtle ask about meeting him for happy hour. Then I had to go back to work of course, so not "clarifying" for me.

Oh well, I guess that means I'll figure out if he was friendly or flirting next time I go there. (The food is yummy!)

Who else gets confused?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 07:15 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
*raises hand*

Old 06-10-2014, 07:24 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
Unless it's blatant, I won't pick up on flirting. And unless they ask me out, I don't count it for anything.

But sometimes flirting is just playful banter. It shows attraction, but it doesn't have to mean they want to date or sleep with you. I just say that as some think flirting is always a prelude to other acts.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:00 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
I get confused. I never know the difference and I suspect most single people here (retards lol) won't either.

At least you get more appetizers. And happy birthday!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:03 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The thin line between friendly or flirty......

So I've got a several month "flirtation" going on with a local restaurant owner. I am an unintentional flirt (and super friendly) and assume other chatty people are the same, so I am terrible at reading "flirting."

Anyway, the restaurant had a pre-opening dinner a couple months ago, and I attended with friends. They had been operating doing catering and occasional events out of a commercial kitchen, but I hadn't yet tried the food.

So I went to the dinner with some friends, and the service was uber-attentive. We ended up getting free appetizers, which I of course assumed were either courtesy for either "free stuff for friendly people" or the "brown people discount" (where if you go somewhere where there aren't many other people of color, fellow "brown people" are extra nice to you!).

And after we finished our food, half of the staff came over to chat with us, and we all had a good convo. (Again, we chalk this up to normal chatterbox behavior).

A few weeks ago, their permanent restaurant finally opened, I went for my b-day gathering, and of course saw my old buddy, the owner. We got more free appetizers and I get a glass of wine to celebrate my b-day! Obviously, this was birthday free stuff.

And today I was in the neighborhood at lunch time, and stopped in for a sandwich! This time he offered up a glass of wine, and we chatted at the bar, asking about my b-day weekend and sister. He hinted about his fave happy hour spots, and I totally missed the subtle ask about meeting him for happy hour. Then I had to go back to work of course, so not "clarifying" for me.

Oh well, I guess that means I'll figure out if he was friendly or flirting next time I go there. (The food is yummy!)

Who else gets confused?

You need to hurry up and go out with this guy already for happy hour before he gives away "all" his profits in free appetizers and wine.....

Old 06-10-2014, 08:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i am a big time flirt, sometimes i even flirt with guys to tease them. most people understand flirting, and usually pick up on it, though sometimes they dont realize it. to me it sounds like he was not just flirting with you, is was trying to ask you out, but he wanted it to come from you so that he could legitimately accept a date with you. since he owns the place, he may have rules against dating the customers, and if he asks you out, it would look like he was being a hypocrite.

so next time you go into the place, and he starts in with you, look him square in the eye, assuming you want to, and ask him if he wants to have a drink with you that evening.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I get confused. I never know the difference and I suspect most single people here (retards lol) won't either.

At least you get more appetizers. And happy birthday!
Thanks for the b-day wishes! I think in this case it is a no lose situation. Either free food or a happy hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You need to hurry up and go out with this guy already for happy hour before he gives away "all" his profits in free appetizers and wine.....
Hehehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am a big time flirt, sometimes i even flirt with guys to tease them. most people understand flirting, and usually pick up on it, though sometimes they dont realize it. to me it sounds like he was not just flirting with you, is was trying to ask you out, but he wanted it to come from you so that he could legitimately accept a date with you. since he owns the place, he may have rules against dating the customers, and if he asks you out, it would look like he was being a hypocrite.

so next time you go into the place, and he starts in with you, look him square in the eye, assuming you want to, and ask him if he wants to have a drink with you that evening.
That's a potential scenario too. I think one of his employees was getting a little suspicious. . Guess I've got to pick a time and not bring loads of friends. He has dimples and (obviously) likes to cook.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:33 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I simply assume everyone wants me and ask them out if I feel like it.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:35 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
To me, flirting is behavior that would feel wrong if directed at someone of the same sex as you(for straight people). You can be friendly with both sexes.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:37 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I simply assume everyone wants me and ask them out if I feel like it.
It is the best thing to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships