Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:34 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times

Advertisements

Bad spelling = Bad character??? That makes no sense to me at all. I can see the tie to uneducated, bad manners, etc... but not a tie to character. I can see bad spellers with excellent character (e.g. hard working blue collar families) and I can see excellent spellers with horrible character (e.g. white collar corporate fraud types like Kenneth Lay).

Just don't see the logic in your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 08:57 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Bad spelling = Bad character??? That makes no sense to me at all. I can see the tie to uneducated, bad manners, etc... but not a tie to character. I can see bad spellers with excellent character (e.g. hard working blue collar families) and I can see excellent spellers with horrible character (e.g. white collar corporate fraud types like Kenneth Lay).

Just don't see the logic in your question.
I agree with that.

Then again, I cheat when it comes to posting and checking my spelling. I designed an add-on for my browser (at home) to automatically check all spelling when I type. Kind of like in Word. Every now and then, something will slip through the cracks, but not often. At work, I'm just on my own.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:14 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Just looking for opinions on this. I have found a lot of people, that have character issues, usually have at least below average, or even poor, spelling. These are examples from folks that I have had big time run ins with: riddence instead of riddance, leeves instead of leaves and toilette instead of toilet.
I'm not saying that educated folks and above average spellers are not buttholes at all, but, there seems to be a pattern for me, in my experience. However, bad grammar may play into "education about life" on an overall basis.
What do you all think? I put up a yellow flag to folks, when I see bad grammar and spelling, maybe I should not, but it is what it is.
I personally wouldn't date someone who couldn't spell or who used bad grammar when writing. Usually people who are educated and intelligent have at least above-average spelling and grammar. Looks aren't nearly as important as intelligence to me. You could be the sexiest hunk on the planet, but we need something to talk about when the sex is over!

Old 12-18-2007, 10:20 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
I don't think poor spelling is an indicator of one's character. I do think it's an indicator of one's overall universal intelligence.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:49 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I don't mind an occasional misspelling. But I think that making a well written post shows courtesy to ones fellow readers, and that is especially important if that someone is asking for advice or help. But I was raised on PBS shows like Masterpiece Theatre and my parents are very well educated and well spoken people. So being formal is first nature to me. And my mom didn't object to my speaking a little slang as long as she felt that I knew the better way to express myself when needed.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:02 AM

18,124 posts, read 11,756,270 times
Can NOT judge people by their spelling ability!

What is this really about?
Judging people here at CD by only means of their posts?

Old 12-19-2007, 06:18 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
A similiar thread has been posted in the "off topics" forum.

What does this have to do with relationships????

Old 12-19-2007, 06:45 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Well, there are people who can't spell because they're ignorant, and there are people who are well educated, but just aren't strong in the language thing. My husband is a business man and went to college, but not strong in spelling or composition. One of the reasons he keeps me around is as his resident spell checker.
I've noticed a difference in the way schools teach spelling and grammer now from the way I was taught. My kids were encouraged to write and convey their ideas without regard to spelling and composition so much. When I was in school, everything I wrote was corrected for spelling and grammer regardless of what it was.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:24 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,369 times
I would certainly hope not, because I cant spell worth a hoot. I wasn't good at spelling in 1st grade nor am I good at it now as an adult. I think the lack of the ability to spell is just one of those things your either good at it or your not. I am not, does that make me a bad person? I think not.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:28 AM

250 posts, read 937,320 times
The ones I have noticed with the most "character issues" tend to be those who feel compelled to correct everyone else's spelling errors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships