Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:03 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Advertising does not sell me .
I do not buy on line ,normally , and usually I want to check out the product on my own and review a history .
I let the world pay for the R&D and I almost never buy any thing fresh on the market.
It's paid off for me for a lifetime repeatedly .
Men didn't use subversive tactics years ago very much , most guys I know didn't know how.
Women generally train one another in the art of acting.

So now the shoe is on the other foot and more men are learning to be as deceptive , very interesting.
Probably due to learning on line from other men in ways they never did before.

Men are becoming/acting more effeminate and women are going for it .
Keep this in mind folks ,people that "act"basically are deceiving , which essentially is a lie which means having a legitimate relationship in this fashion is a fantasy.
I'm sure this makes sense to somebody somewhere…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:06 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
It is my absolute duty to agree, however I am not certain this will ever really happen at least not in The US or Canada or even in the entire continent of America, but I would love to be objectified by women, especially hot ones

I don't have a great body. Never will, but I'm in better shape than every before (except maybe after high school soccer season 25 years ago). But when you meet someone and they objectify you in bed and comment, man... it feels real good, and the gym workouts get even better. It's the ultimate positive reinforcement.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:11 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't have a great body. Never will, but I'm in better shape than every before (except maybe after high school soccer season 25 years ago). But when you meet someone and they objectify you in bed and comment, man... it feels real good, and the gym workouts get even better. It's the ultimate positive reinforcement.
Once again it is my duty to agree

Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Good looking men in advertisements has been around for a while (even before Coke, we had the Marlboro Man).

My concern with objectification (of both men and women) is how it effects young people who aren't really that discerning yet. Eating disorders have been a problem for young girls for a long time... and there is a lot of researcher to back up how it negatively effects girls and body image. And now growing numbers of young boys are suffering too and eating disorders are up among boys. It's a deadly and dangerous trend.

Just like the Barbie doll look and proportions are unobtainable and unrealistic for women, the hair free, fat-free, and six-pack muscle-bound men in ads are just as unrealistic. I think, just like with young girls, young boys seeing these things develop a negative body imagine, which has been linked to depression and other mental health issues.

There is a lot of focus recently on how unrealistic women's images are (like in this one-minute video below) in order to show girls how distorted things can be. I really think they should do the same for boys too--before they start developing the degree of issues so many girls and women have had face for so long.

Body Evolution - Model Before and After - YouTube

Old 07-23-2014, 08:38 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

Do you think this is a problem? What do you think about the concern these young women are showing towards this?
I think it is simply that women now have much greater buying power so adds are targeted as much to women as they are to men.

Jillabean makes a good point. I believe that is where any concern should be.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I never understood marketing and how it correlates to sales. I can't see why anyone would be influenced to buy a Coke based on a stupid commercial. If a I like Coke, I'll buy it. If I don't, nothing they use to market it will make me anymore likely to buy it.
Yes they will. Possibly less so than others, but it almost definitely has an effect. The industry spends enough money to make this happen, and they're not doing it for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
What phone do you own, how did you hear about any of the items you own and purchased, use the most? No influences about why you picked out any specific items you use, movies you go see? Possibly it could be by default?
An interesting side note to this: There are a handful of brands/products that are notorious for being popular with the idiot/douchebag/etc. demographic. What do you consider is more likely?

1) That these particular products just HAPPEN to be popular with the idiots of the world?
or
2) That these particular products have excellent marketing campaigns and these particular demographics happen to be more susceptible to subconscious influence.

I would submit that it's #2. In some cases, the brand in question happens to be a perfectly good brand, and thus will gain some popularity outside that particular demographic, but often times it's simply a mediocre product with an excellent marketing campaign.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
I agree, but only because I was in a similar boat at one point. If it's the kind of thing you hear all the time, it gets old and (depending on the person), can be offensive. I'm not one of those people, but there are PLENTY out there. People can get sick of hearing the same kind of compliment, because it has the potential to make them feel as if it's their only value.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
But when you meet someone and they objectify you in bed and comment, man... it feels real good, and the gym workouts get even better. It's the ultimate positive reinforcement.
Being objectified by someone that you're involved with is a different dynamic than being objectified by some stranger off the street, though. To them you're just a thing, or a decoration, I don't see it too often with the genders reversed, but in the Fashion and Beauty forum on this board, men will often start threads about "why do women do/wear this? I don't think it's hot." As if women exist only to give this one guy on the internet a boner.

Jillabean does bring up a good point about body issues extending to men (especially young men) now. Hugh Jackman doesn't walk around ripped like Wolverine when he's not shooting a movie, but that's what guys think they have to look like 24/7, and it's just as destructive an ideal as the willowy model for women.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Being objectified by someone that you're involved with is a different dynamic than being objectified by some stranger off the street, though. To them you're just a thing, or a decoration, I don't see it too often with the genders reversed, but in the Fashion and Beauty forum on this board, men will often start threads about "why do women do/wear this? I don't think it's hot." As if women exist only to give this one guy on the internet a boner.

I'd be happy with a stranger doing it as well. It makes me feel good, even if they see me as just a piece of meat. Sure, I want the person I like to want me as a person, but after spending much of my teens and 20s with low self esteem and working hard to get into shape and being at a place where I'm physically happy with myself, it is great having someone recognize it. Maybe because it happens so very rarely to men, but if a woman came up to me and wanted me for my body and just to use me physically, I'd be cool with that. Even super happy about it. Grass is always greener.

And sure, the extremes that go into unhealthy levels is bad. No doubt. Eating disorders, use of supplements, etc etc etc... not healthy. But seriously, the U.S. could use more people that worked hard on being in shape. It's hardly an issue now from what I see.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:19 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

Jillabean does bring up a good point about body issues extending to men (especially young men) now. Hugh Jackman doesn't walk around ripped like Wolverine when he's not shooting a movie, but that's what guys think they have to look like 24/7, and it's just as destructive an ideal as the willowy model for women.
Hugh Jackman is an actor and he does whatever he needs to do get paid big money, there is probably no passion there, I personally like to look ripped and in great shape all the time and there is nothing unhealthy about that, of course I don't exactly look like Wolverine , it is the methods that some men especially actors like him use to acheive that physique that are not good, but that is a separate topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships