Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who pays on the first date?
Go Dutch! 27 29.03%
The man always pays 29 31.18%
The woman always pays 1 1.08%
The person that initiates the date always pays 36 38.71%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:41 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
Yes, things have changed. Thanks for acknowledging that. As a Millennial, I can confidently say that if you saw what "dating" has become today, you'd be completely lost.
I'm not going to be dating any millennials so its not something I have to concern myself with. Even so the millennials in my specific area still seem to date the old school way.

From my perspective dating seemed to work much better in previous generations where people actually spoke face to face and got a general impression of one another before committing to a date, a date where a fairly specific code was understood. It seems in modern dating there is much ado about nothing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 12:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
If I am asked out, or did the asking, my Momma would slap me if I didn't pay for a ladies meal.

I pay, everytime.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:34 PM

898 posts, read 938,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
From my perspective dating seemed to work much better in previous generations where people actually spoke face to face and got a general impression of one another before committing to a date, a date where a fairly specific code was understood. It seems in modern dating there is much ado about nothing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
That's just it. Maybe it's an online dating thing. If I had met these people before asking them on a date, I'd feel much more confident with the quality of person I'm asking out and whether I'd want to pay for that person's anything.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:34 PM

346 posts, read 352,017 times
Some of you must be real joys to deal with in real life. There's a recent saying; Chivalry is dead and women killed it. Between feminism and the casual sex scene, there's no reason to be spending any real money until you're exclusive.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Seriously? He said the first 5 dates have to be less than $10 or dutch. I understand that he's not interested in marriage or traditional dating by his own admission, so he's allowed to do whatever he sees fit, but no way is that a good plan if the women he dates are used to doing things differently.
There's that entitlement coming out.

I just want it to be clear that there does seem to be a sense of entitlement among some of the ladies with this "dating" game. I think that concept irks me the most. I hate when people feel entitled to things they have not earned.

Granted, five dates seems like a long time. I'd probably know at least by the 2nd date whether I was going to pursue it or not.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:39 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,150,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig In View Post
Some of you must be real joys to deal with in real life. There's a recent saying; Chivalry is dead and women killed it. Between feminism and the casual sex scene, there's no reason to be spending any real money until you're exclusive.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:42 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:

I just want it to be clear that there does seem to be a sense of entitlement among some of the ladies with this "dating" game. I think that concept irks me the most. I hate when people feel entitled to things they have not earned.
Well, it goes back to that whole "options" thing. If the women you're dating can get guys who will pay for dates, why would they choose you over those guys? If you have something going on to get them to choose you, great. Otherwise, don't be surprised when they don't.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:42 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
Quote:

I just want it to be clear that there does seem to be a sense of entitlement among some of the ladies with this "dating" game.
If there's a sense of entitlement, it's because other men created the expectation by offering it all the time. You are basically competing against other men setting a high standard. I am just saying, you can't pin this all on us ladies. Your fellow men helped build the expectation by setting that particular standard.

But you know, it could work to your advantage too. Like I said, I would be thrown off a bit if a man took me up on the Dutch offer and yes, it might make me more cautious in matters of the heart, but if I really liked him, I would still date and stick around. So if going Dutch doesn't scare one women off, but does scare off another... well maybe that one who stuck around was more into you in the first place. Just a thought.

But I would stick with cheaper (or free dates) like the coffee dates you said you would try.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
If there's a sense of entitlement, it's because other men created the expectation by offering it all the time. You are basically competing against other men setting a high standard. I am just saying, you can't pin this all on us ladies. Your fellow men helped build the expectation by setting that particular standard.

But you know, it could work to your advantage too. Like I said, I would be thrown off a bit if a man took me up on the Dutch offer and yes, it might make me more cautious in matters of the heart, but if I really liked him, I would still date and stick around. So if going Dutch doesn't scare one women off, but does scare off another... well maybe that one who stuck around was more into you in the first place. Just a thought.

But I would stick with cheaper (or free dates) like the coffee dates you said you would try.
Yep, I follow what you're saying and it makes sense. I'd be more inclined to take up someone's offer if they were going to pay in full. Who doesn't enjoy free? On a first date, I don't think you should take it too personally if he takes you up on your offer to go "Dutch" (because of what I explained; look at what he's up against). I think what would matter most is if he asked you on a 2nd date. Then I think whoever does the asking should pay in full. It's the first date that is really in question here.

I will be sticking to the cheaper dates from now on though. At least then I'll know that any girl who pursues me after that is after my personality, and not my wallet.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:54 PM

Default Let's think about this closely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Well, it goes back to that whole "options" thing. If the women you're dating can get guys who will pay for dates, why would they choose you over those guys? If you have something going on to get them to choose you, great. Otherwise, don't be surprised when they don't.
If a girl only chooses me based on whether I am willing to pay for a first date, do you really think that I'm missing out on something? The princesses can get lost for all I care. I want someone with substance, morality, and ethics. If I wanted to run a charity, I'll open up a soup kitchen for homeless veterans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships