Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:53 PM

11,426 posts, read 24,552,329 times

Advertisements

I just realized today that two of my friends who are in their 40's are getting married soon. Another has a ring but has not set a date.

With all of the relationship despair coming from people who feel they are hopelessly single, this might come as good news.

All of these women are college educated. Two are divorced moms with school-age kids. The other has always been single. Two are business owners. One just finished an advanced degree. Only one has what you'd call conventional good looks though all of them are physically attractive. None of them are overweight - - or skinny. None of them wear much makeup or go overboard doing their hair or nails. They range in style from somewhat preppy, to sort of hip, to earthy granola. Two are moderately religious, one is not. All of them are emotionally strong and have their sh** together.

The fiancées are equally interesting. Two are professional men with good jobs and practical skills. Only one is divorced. One is a willing househusband who makes it possible for his woman to run a demanding business. (and no, the househusband is not engaged to the earthmother) None are crusty old fuddy-duddies with nothing going for them. In fact all three are good catches. None are alpha males. LOL

And to add to the good news for all of you lonely hearts, you might enjoy reading this if you haven't already:

snopes.com: Woman's Chance of Marriage Over 40

Last edited by ellie; 03-01-2011 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 06:36 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,202,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I just realized today that two of my friends who are in their 40's are getting married soon. Another has a ring but has not set a date.

With all of the relationship despair coming from people who feel they are hopelessly single, this might come as good news.

All of these women are college educated. Two are divorced moms with school-age kids. The other has always been single. Two are business owners. One just finished an advanced degree. Only one has what you'd call conventional good looks though all of them are physically attractive. None of them are overweight - - or skinny. None of them wear much makeup or go overboard doing their hair or nails. They range in style from somewhat preppy, to sort of hip, to earthy granola. Two are moderately religious, one is not. All of them are emotionally strong and have their sh** together.

The fiancées are equally interesting. Two are professional men with good jobs and practical skills. Only one is divorced. One is a willing househusband who makes it possible for his woman to run a demanding business. (and no, the househusband is not engaged to the earthmother) None are crusty old fuddy-duddies with nothing going for them. In fact all three are good catches. None are alpha males. LOL

And to add to the good news for all of you lonely hearts, you might enjoy reading this if you haven't already:

If my wife and i did it (we were both in our 40's) then anyone can do it.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 PM

199 posts, read 492,356 times
I dont understand the question..??

Nothing wrong with people getting married in their 40s. People just have to do things at their due time, and if they want to get married in their 40s then they are free to do so.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:50 PM

11,426 posts, read 24,552,329 times
There isn't a question. It was a statement. If you follow this forum for any amount of time you'll read so many posts about people who wonder if they'll ever find someone. And there are many who have stayed happily single and surprised themselves by ending up in a relationship. Single moms often believe no smart man would have them. There are also plenty of men who think they need to be alpha males to find girlfriends. And there are tons of people who believe anyone over 40 who is still single must be damaged goods.

For all of those posts, this is just a happy triple coincidence I've observed out here in the real world.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:54 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,814,453 times
Quote:

I would have no issue being a house husband because I would either start my own business from home or be a day trader (like I'm trying now). It would be great for me! But I want a younger woman so I can have a family. I'm 42, by the way, with no kids and divorced. I don't have to be THE breadwinner, but certainly want to carry my weight financially.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,105,937 times
Quote:

40 is the new 20...

Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 AM

1,543 posts, read 3,003,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I would have no issue being a house husband because I would either start my own business from home or be a day trader (like I'm trying now). It would be great for me! But I want a younger woman so I can have a family. I'm 42, by the way, with no kids and divorced. I don't have to be THE breadwinner, but certainly want to carry my weight financially.
Take a note. That the men chosen were not flabby guys. Meaning they are eye candy for the women.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:14 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,229,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
40 is the new 20...
40 is 40.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:11 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,371,472 times
Good news. Never lose faith. I've known people older than 40 who have happily married.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:15 PM

86 posts, read 360,597 times
I think age has nothing to do when you will actually find your lifetime partner. Some people meet them at a young age, others in their thirties and forties or older .It is very comforting to know that people still have their hopes up no matter their age, but honestly, is not as easy to find people who are commitment-oriented and really want to have a family on their own the old fashioned way. I'm saying is hard but not impossible. You stop hoping the moment your life ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships