Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:12 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times

Advertisements

Come on, he's 63, he's not trying to "hit it and quit it". Yes, he wants a commitment at his age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 07:14 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Come on, he's 63, he's not trying to "hit it and quit it".
Some do want to hit it, and keep hitting it, without the quality of companionship that the woman wants. Talk to IDDY and other online daters in their 40's, who keep getting guys hitting them up for sex. Some guys don't change with age. Someone here posted a couple of months ago about their 70-something uncle who plays the field and has several gf's at a time, and is happy with that.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:19 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,837 times
Quote:
Come on, he's 63, he's not trying to "hit it and quit it". Yes, he wants a commitment at his age.

63 year old men also like to hit and miss. I am not saying this is the case here, but age does not define what a person will or will not do. To the OP, enjoy the dates and the time spent with him. Proceed cautiously. Read the signs for what he shows you, not his age. Have fun. If he is genuine, he will wait for sex when/if you are ready.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some do want to hit it, and keep hitting it, without the quality of companionship that the woman wants. Talk to IDDY and other online daters in their 40's, who keep getting guys hitting them up for sex. Some guys don't change with age. Someone here posted a couple of months ago about their 70-something uncle who plays the field and has several gf's at a time, and is happy with that.
So? This guy isn't doing that and I don't think most 60+ year olds are doing that.
You are going to get a lot of creeps online, yes, but she isn't on there.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:26 PM

22 posts, read 17,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
You have only known the guy for a month. Don't let your emotions get the best of you.
One step at a time is always best, Him Pushing for an answer to commitment this early IMO is not typical.
It could be his way of talking you into sex. be careful.
I actually don't think so. He didn't seem to mean we're about to get into a relationship right away but if we were getting to know each other with that possibility as a a goal.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
So? This guy isn't doing that and I don't think most 60+ year olds are doing that.
You are going to get a lot of creeps online, yes, but she isn't on there.
We don't know what he has in mind. That was the point HuntFishRepeat made. 1 month is early to ask for a commitment, and I think they're right. It's best to be cautious. I think a lot of 60+ guys do that. Whether it's most or not, we have no way of knowing, unless some kind of a study has been done. But the OP is very vulnerable, so it can't hurt to caution her. I think it's best to err on the side of caution, in this case.

At any rate, she'll get a better idea of what kind of a person he is when she tells him she needs to take it slowly, and will be in counseling/therapy to help resolve her issues. Hopefully, he'll be supportive. If not, she will have weeded out someone who's not right for her.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:37 PM

You're right, we don't know. It just comes down to whether you have an optimistic or pessimistic view of relationships and your gut feeling. All of my commitments came even before the 1 month mark and with men much much younger.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:46 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times
I'm always amazed how people always think the worst of men automatically, that they just want sex. Yet when a guy posts "so many women are gold diggers" the unanimous response is not all women are the same. Too many women on this board have apparently been burned and think all men are the same. In any case, to the OP, listen to your son. I think what he said is better than any post I've seen so far.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I'm always amazed how people always think the worst of men automatically, that they just want sex. Yet when a guy posts "so many women are gold diggers" the unanimous response is not all women are the same. Too many women on this board have apparently been burned and think all men are the same. In any case, to the OP, listen to your son. I think what he said is better than any post I've seen so far.
No one said they're all like that. They're saying to be cautious. Besides, when she explains her situation and asks for more time, his reaction will tell her a lot about him. It was just a good point someone raised (a male poster, btw), that had been overlooked by others.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 PM

22 posts, read 17,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I was also afraid of my son's reaction since he has never seen me with anyone else besides his father. But he was pretty supportive and encouraging.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships