Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:44 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,602,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I don't know how much I agree with many of the things you've said here--there are social issues that I see as very important, for example, and things that shouldn't be ignored. That's okay though.

I do, however, want to give you kudos on the term "super turd." That's hilarious.
I'm picturing some wannabe superhero wearing a brown shirt...yeah, I'm still 12 years old inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 01:46 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
Depends on the degree, if two people are very diametrically on polar ends of the political spectrum, yes it will be a problem. Say a far left loony and a right wing wacko would not be able for the most part to make it, canceling other factors out. It is not to say impossible, but usually does not work out. If both are moderates, then I think it is no big deal.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:47 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think you need to worry about this too much. People (Normal ones) don't talk about politics on daily basis unless they want some attention.
False. People talk about the things that interest them, not because they're wanting attention. And even if you don't talk about politics much, that doesn't mean politics doesn't matter to you.

Quote:
Other than that, I don't care much about social issues. I think this country should focus on domestic issues, e.g. economy.
The economy isn't a social issue? Uh, yes it is. Issues aren't strictly social vs. fiscal.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:47 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,602,524 times
OK, here's a great example:

Before I met my wife, I dated a woman who was pretty great in many ways (between the asexual ex-fiance and my wife).

Her politics were pretty much the polar opposite of mine.

Although we had fun together, made each other laugh, had fantastic sex...it just didn't work. We tried to make it work, but couldn't. We lasted maybe 6 months, not a long time, but it was memorable.

We broke up on good terms, but admitted to one another that each saw the other as a direct threat to everything they believed in, and that was creating resentment.

Of course then I met my wife - so it worked out pretty well.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:51 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Contrary to the conceit most politically-driven people have, politics has little to do with values and is roughly 1% of who a person is. If you are ignoring an otherwise great person based on how he or she votes every other November, then you are living an impoverished life. And likely suffering from moral vanity to boot.

Further, while all intellectually alive people have political leanings, living and breathing politics doesn't make you an interesting person. Far from it, because you are just parroting whatever bullet points have been slung your way by spin doctors. People who completely buy into either political camp tend to be unoriginal thinkers. So instead of music, art, relationships, or whatever else there is in the incredible tapestry that is life, dwelling on politics makes you an incredibly boring person.

There, I said it. If politics dominates your conversations and factors into your evaluations of people, you are a tedious, self-important bore.

In truth, if you manage to disconnect from whatever your favorite source of propaganda is in the media, you would realize that neither side in just about any debate has a monopoly on truth, and both sides hide some rather unsavory realities to their respective dogma. That's why whenever someone tells me they are fully a Republican or a Democrat, conservative or liberal, I begin looking for their lobotomy scars. You might as well be endorsing the Crips or the Bloods.

Back to relationships. The things that really matter in a relationship are the chemistry you share and how you treat one another, while politics is something that dwells outside of the business of living a life together. What's more, it's hard enough to find someone amazing enough to commit to a long-term relationship as it is. If you automatically rule out 50% of the potential people because they vote differently, then you just made it a lot harder.

Do yourself a favor and overlook politics. Even better, make a pact with that other person if you happen to disagree on a subject and not discuss it. Because there are much more important things to consider when looking for someone with whom to share your life. I mean, hell, MrsCPG and I are well-read, well-meaning and reflective people who disagree on a number of political issues. But you better believe that while we might cancel out each other's vote on Tuesdays, we scorch the sheets on Saturday nights, just the way we have for 24 years.
Regarding the bolded- I agree 100%---
Actually I agree with the whole damn thing
It's amazing how C-D haters are dissecting each little post here
& trying to pretend this guy has no valid points.
Yet how many of you people here have a relationship like his?
Interesting that everyone just attacks instead of taking a minute & thinking about the message here.....

Old 08-15-2014, 01:52 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
False. People talk about the things that interest them, not because they're wanting attention. And even if you don't talk about politics much, that doesn't mean politics doesn't matter to you.

The economy isn't a social issue? Uh, yes it is. Issues aren't strictly social vs. fiscal.
Most people I know don't talk about politics on daily basis.

I was talking about social issues like gay marriage. I am for it, but I don't make a big deal about it.

Economy is a social issue which is the one I would concentrate on.

Even if politics matters to somebody, if they can work out the differences, keep peach without pushing button, why not dating the opposite?! Make love, not war, remember?

No, I've never met somebody who talk about politics on daily basis.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:02 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Regarding the bolded- I agree 100%---
Actually I agree with the whole damn thing
It's amazing how C-D people are dissecting each little post here
& trying to pretend this guy has no valid points.
Yet how many of the haters here have a relationship like his?
Interesting that everyone just attacks instead of taking a minute & thinking about the message here.....
Oh I see. So because we don't agree with him, that means we're not taking time to think. And I'll tell you what's really interesting. It's that you think his relationship is something we should all aspire to. Maybe some of us don't want a relationship like his. I certainly wouldn't want a relationship where I have to avoid certain topics out of fear of starting an argument. My idea of a good relationship is one where I can talk with my partner about anything. And by the way, whatever kind of relationship he has doesn't make his points valid.

Quote:
Even if politics matters to somebody, if they can work out the differences, keep peach without pushing button, why not dating the opposite?! Make love, not war, remember?

No, I've never met somebody who talk about politics on daily basis.
Why does it matter how often they talk about politics? Do you measure someone's passion for something by how frequently they talk about it? As for working out your differences with someone, that only works if those differences aren't insurmountable. It's naive to think you can just work through any and all difference.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:04 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:

Why does it matter how often they talk about politics? Do you measure someone's passion for something by how frequently they talk about it? As for working out your differences with someone, that only works if those differences aren't insurmountable. It's naive to think you can just work through any and all difference.
No it doesn't. That is why I said, "Don't let differences prevent you from dating or loving a liberal Democrat?" Move on now?

If you can work through the differences, you stay in a relationship. If not, go separate ways without hard feelings. Not sure why is this a foreign concept and hard to understand?

Old 08-15-2014, 02:08 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Oh I see. So because we don't agree with him, that means we're not taking time to think. And I'll tell you what's really interesting. It's that you think his relationship is something we should all aspire to. Maybe some of us don't want a relationship like his. I certainly wouldn't want a relationship where I have to avoid certain topics out of fear of starting an argument. My idea of a good relationship is one where I can talk with my partner about anything. And by the way, whatever kind of relationship he has doesn't make his points valid.

Lmao you're the one who's always complaining about your online quest for love...
How's that working out for ya, Den??

Guess what?
Cpg has a helluva lot more insight than someone like you.
You're middle aged, never been married, blah, blah, blah.
Maybe you should try to stop being such a confrontational type & pay attention to guys like him.
Unless you're happy chasing your tail in circles on the net, looking for love in all the wrong places.

Let me just add--
You recently made a thread on how you can overlook dishonesty.
Lmfao- you can overlook a liar, but you can't overlook someone who's political stance doesn't match yours....?!
That's in the top 10 dumbest thing I've ever read here....
Just sayin'

Last edited by believe007; 08-15-2014 at 02:22 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 02:19 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
The political is personal, and I don't wish to invite someone who hates/denigrates "people like me" into my personal life (and vice versa).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships