Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 04:48 PM

70 posts, read 135,667 times

Advertisements

It seems like all people are looking for is a hot piece of meat. Now I'm definitely not what one would describe as hot, but I make a very detailed, informative profile describing my interests, hobbies, etc. and regularly send other users nice messages, as simple as "Hi how are you?" and while each person views my profile, they never write a response. Yet people deemed "hot" by conventional standards but having the content of their profile state "Uhhh..dont kno what 2 say here just ask i gess" get loads of people interested in them.

If that's how it is, why not just get rid of the description field altogether and just have people's pictures as their entire profile? As a person with crippling social anxiety, I actually believe I'd have better luck going out in public and looking for someone. Now that's saying something. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 04:58 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,564,704 times
Me personally, I'd prefer not to have to go into detail about myself or have to read excessive details about him. I need to know if I'm attracted to him, if he's attracted to me, and then we can meet in person and go from there.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:04 PM

I can see that, but I like to at least get to know a little about someone before meeting them. That way I have an idea of how they might be, personality-wise.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 PM

70 posts, read 155,462 times
I don't do OLD, but from reading posts here, success if very rare, of course I don't know if the people who are unsuccessful, are just aiming way too high, and have unrealistic dreams. I would use it if I lived in a very small town, or if I worked too much, with career and kids. Since I don't see either of those happening soon, I hope to miss out on the whole experience.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:16 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,158,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Me personally, I'd prefer not to have to go into detail about myself or have to read excessive details about him. I need to know if I'm attracted to him, if he's attracted to me, and then we can meet in person and go from there.
How do you determine whether you're attracted to someone based on an online profile? You can determine whether you find their photos attractive, but that's different than being attracted to someone.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
How do you determine whether you're attracted to someone based on an online profile? You can determine whether you find their photos attractive, but that's different than being attracted to someone.
Yes, you can have really nice looking pictures but be a conceited prick in person. I've seen it happen enough times.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:20 PM

778 posts, read 824,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -BeautifulDisaster- View Post
It seems like all people are looking for is a hot piece of meat. Now I'm definitely not what one would describe as hot, but I make a very detailed, informative profile describing my interests, hobbies, etc. and regularly send other users nice messages, as simple as "Hi how are you?" and while each person views my profile, they never write a response. Yet people deemed "hot" by conventional standards but having the content of their profile state "Uhhh..dont kno what 2 say here just ask i gess" get loads of people interested in them.
Of the serious relationships in my adult life...actually, all of them started online. These were/are long-term, multi-year relationships with thoughtful, intelligent, enjoyable people. It's not happening because I'm hot (average looks, short, overweight).

I know some people just have bad luck with the medium, but that's not my experience.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:23 PM

I guess I just want to know if it's true that people really value how someone looks more than their personality, character, etc. to the point where they'd totally ignore someone based on their picture.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:35 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,158,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -BeautifulDisaster- View Post
I guess I just want to know if it's true that people really value how someone looks more than their personality, character, etc. to the point where they'd totally ignore someone based on their picture.
Only the shallow ones, and you don't want them, anyway!

Old 08-15-2014, 05:37 PM

19,735 posts, read 20,284,815 times
Ya know, I ended up taking the bus downtown this morning, and -of course- the one crazy old dude starts talking to me, lol.. Anyway, he eventually starts telling me about how he is on all these dating sites, trying to meet woman and I'm like thinking 'oh my God, these poor women!' It was pretty funny and all, but that just solidified yet one more of ohhh sooo many reasons why I avoid online dating altogether.. And carry a rape whistle lmao.. Please be careful out there you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships