Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long did your divorce take?
Two months or less 10 14.29%
Between two and six months 8 11.43%
Six to nine months 10 14.29%
Nine months to a year 5 7.14%
12 - 18 months 12 17.14%
18 - 24 months 10 14.29%
More than 2 years 15 21.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:27 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
in Pa. the "defendant can do nothing for 2 years(refuse to sign). then the game starts after that. delayed hearings, doctors notes, etc... anyone that gets through the process with their sanity intact has got it made. fortunately i had my new wife going through it with me for about 3 1/2 years. plus lots of family including my daughter.

glad it worked out for you too. another year and a half of alimony and i'm completely done.

Surprised you had to pay alimony. It's become a rare thing in NJ- judges are telling wives to get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 06:00 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
I know 4 people well who've gotten divorced:

person 1: husband fought it and it took 4 months
person 2: husband fought it and it took 3 months
person 3: husband is fighting it and and her lawyer says it will take about 3 months
person 4: neither fought it and it took 3 months

give or take a couple weeks or days of course.

Spoiler
Before someone says "omg! that's proof that most women are b*tches! and the men are just begging for them to stay and have a heart!"

person 1: she found out her husband had been molesting her daughter
person 2: they are both serial marry-and-divorcers
person 3: he is an alcoholic and she has been trying with him and doing everything so he can sit around and "deal with his issues" (aka drink) for over 3 years
person 4: she cheated and they mutually decided to divorce

oh and if it makes any difference, all of the people were in IL except person 4 was in IA. Couples 1, 2, and 3 have at least one child together.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:09 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
You know why divorces are so expensive?

Because they are worth it!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:19 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
Mine is still not official, will take 7 months. Anachronistic state of Louisiana requires a waiting period of 6 mandatory months (without children, with children it would have been 12 MONTHS!) before the motion to finalize can be accepted. So waiting to February for me until then. The initial filing occurred about 20 odd days after the separation.

It's ridiculous, some states you can divorce in as little time as it'll take the court to process the paper. Not that I'm marrying again (and if so only with a prenup, I've already had a woman I was dating about-face once the prenup was mentioned, I'm so happy about sticking to that discriminator, it's doing great weeding out the entitled and standard-of-living looking ones ) so I don't really care about the waiting period.

The initial motion filing effectively ceased the community property portion of the marriage, which means our economic lives have been deemed "single" since August. That and a post-nup was accomplished to take care of what would have been a separate hearing for the marital division of property (another ding on Louisiana...community property state), and I've been pretty much single since August. But it would be nice to get that piece of paper dissolved already and put it behind me.

No children involved so that REALLY saved me.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,967 times
Default already 13 months

I don't know what the law was in the state I received my divorce (NY) but it took 7 years exactly to the day from the time I left my spouse to the day I received my decree.

But then it was contested. [/quote]

Yes, I agree, that's more like it in NY. I filed for mine 13 months ago, we met with both lawyers in March, went to court in May, case was adjourned till September, then October, then yesterday I found out we are not going. It has been postponed till after New Years.

A friend of mine - it took her six years and cost $80,000.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:57 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
I'm in NY.

Filed for legal separation in March 2009. (At the time you couldn't file for divorce unless you were legally separated for a year). Separation was finalized in April 2010 and we then filed for divorce. Received notice that we were divorced in December 2010. Irony of this all is it was uncontested and the No Fault Divorce Law was not passed until August 2010. I wonder how much quicker it would have been had we had that option or if we waited.

Here's one strange thing though. I have no physical proof I am divorced. My ex filed the papers in his county and told me by phone that he received an email stating the divorce was finalized. He was married the following year, so I presume it is legit, but I have no paperwork that states anything. I was able to look up the docket number online, but will have to go about getting proof.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:44 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I was recently told that a divorce in Missouri can take as little as 45-60 days if it is uncontested and uncomplicated. I was really shocked, I thought it took months and months for a divorce to happen, regardless of circumstances.
Well mine was neither uncontested or uncomplicated. I left in Aug. of 2008, and we were divorced I believe April of 2009. Of course as soon as the divorce was final and I thought I was finally done with court, he dragged me into a child custody battle.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,544 times
I'm in the Midwest...mine took four days...

We filed the motion to have it hastened, which thankfully the judge granted. We turned the paperwork in on a Thursday, and we're told the judge would be in on Monday if we wanted to see them. 20 minutes later we were done and finalized..

Uncontested, no kids, us both working together to get it over with, small Midwestern town with not much else going on..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
My ex and I had been separated for four years (and married for 44) when I finally filed this past January. I go to court this Friday (10/19) for the signing of the decree. He contested it and threw up roadblocks at every opportunity and caused me to have to spend almost $25,000 to finally make it happen but he spent far more trying to stop it. It wasn't that he wanted me back as much as he just didn't want to lose control over me and give up what he considered to be "his money." Some part of the delay was the availability of the attorneys. When the first court date was set, opposing counsel went on vacation so it delayed that for two months as it was the first date when both attorneys could be available. It has been contentious, expensive and totally un-necessary but that's the nature of divorce.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:33 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I'm in NY.

Filed for legal separation in March 2009. (At the time you couldn't file for divorce unless you were legally separated for a year). Separation was finalized in April 2010 and we then filed for divorce. Received notice that we were divorced in December 2010. Irony of this all is it was uncontested and the No Fault Divorce Law was not passed until August 2010. I wonder how much quicker it would have been had we had that option or if we waited.

Here's one strange thing though. I have no physical proof I am divorced. My ex filed the papers in his county and told me by phone that he received an email stating the divorce was finalized. He was married the following year, so I presume it is legit, but I have no paperwork that states anything. I was able to look up the docket number online, but will have to go about getting proof.

I'm pretty sure you can contact the county clerk or registrar in the county where you were divorced and get a certified copy of the divorce decree. That's what I will have to do. I also need a certified copy of my marriage license from 44.5 years ago to take to the Social Security Administration (with the decree) to claim half of my ex's SS benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships