Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:54 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
LOL, well thanks

Honestly, even though he ran me down, at the end of the relationship, I just felt kind of bad for him. He has no concept of how to build a sustainably happy life. He really doesn't understand how happiness works.

He's in a relationship with a really good woman now, but he still doesn't know how to really create happiness for himself.
My ex is the same. Clueless when it comes to happiness, intimacy, empathy. Blames everyone else for his problems. He creates them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:18 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
My ex is the same. Clueless when it comes to happiness, intimacy, empathy. Blames everyone else for his problems. He creates them.
Yeah, there's a lot of that going around.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
this is why i always speak well of all my ladies, past and present. i want them to be happy, and if they are happy, then i am happy.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:05 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Quote:
This post was inspired by a comment JrzDefector made about one of her exes.

He was scared that his love for her would give her too much power.

I attract guys like this, guys who say things to me like "You're going to break my heart" or "You're going to wreck me". They then spend the relationship trying to one-up me at every turn, as if it's some sort of competition. They think I have ulterior motives, when that is the very last thing on my mind.

It's like a desperate scramble for power. But I am not trying to take their "power" away in the first place.

Is this just a matter of attracting very insecure men? Men with something to "prove" over a woman?
Or perhaps you attract people who aren't very honest with themselves enough to be honest with you?

People who are happy with themselves are usually honest with themselves.

People who are honest with themselves don't go out of their way to one-up others.

My feeling is these guys you meet talk the talk but don't want the walk. "You're going to break my heart." "You're going to wreck me." Perhaps a self-projection much? Another suave line?

Any guy who truly wants to be with you, doesn't find excuses not to. It's the ones who really don't that do. When someone loves you or at the very least, cares about you in a way they respect you, they look at the big picture and decide how well your lives mesh and work on building on what you have together instead of stepping on toes and thinking about only themselves.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Or perhaps you attract people who aren't very honest with themselves enough to be honest with you?

People who are happy with themselves are usually honest with themselves.

People who are honest with themselves don't go out of their way to one-up others.

My feeling is these guys you meet talk the talk but don't want the walk. "You're going to break my heart." "You're going to wreck me." Perhaps a self-projection much? Another suave line?

Any guy who truly wants to be with you, doesn't find excuses not to. It's the ones who really don't that do. When someone loves you or at the very least, cares about you in a way they respect you, they look at the big picture and decide how well your lives mesh and work on building on what you have together instead of stepping on toes and thinking about only themselves.
I never thought about it like that, but yes, I think what you said is right. They really don't walk the walk, but they can talk the talk all day. They're more about image than substance, and I end up feeling like more of a "fantasy girl" than a real person. It's like they don't want to actually deal with what it TAKES to have a happy, successful relationship, they just want to have the idea of one, and when it starts going south they take no responsibility for the demise. And then they add another victim story to their repertoire.

It's like they're looking to me to fill a void within them, when really they should be filling that void themselves. And, I shouldn't be agreeing to be with these guys in the first place, because they don't actually have anything real to offer me.

Maybe on some level I'm also emotionally unavailable. I wouldn't be attracting this type if I wasn't.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:47 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Normal grown up men don't really play this game.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Normal grown up men don't really play this game.
Right. So the question is, why am I attracting abnormal, immature guys?

Come to think of it, my father was exactly this way. Paging Dr. Freud...

Old 08-29-2014, 07:54 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:

Some soul searching and introspection may be in order... I'm a believer of all things having a reason.. even if you don't know what it is....

Old 08-29-2014, 07:58 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:

Yeah, you maybe don't screen them out, because your dad is like that.

But you have to remember -- these guys are always looking. They don't get snapped up. So you will always encounter far more of them in the dating pool than in regular life. The trick is to screen them out early. You need to adjust your dating pool filter .

Old 08-29-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Yeah, you maybe don't screen them out, because your dad is like that.

But you have to remember -- these guys are always looking. They don't get snapped up. So you will always encounter far more of them in the dating pool than in regular life. The trick is to screen them out early. You need to adjust your dating pool filter .
I do! I think I get pulled in by the pity-play. When they act like a wounded puppy and tell me "You're going to hurt me", I jump into sympathy mode. But that has nothing to do with what they want for ME, it's all about THEM and THEIR issues. Maybe I don't think that men can actually be strong and providers, because my father was so weak and selfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships