Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 11:50 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
I'm still pretty young and not thinking about marriage yet, but I've thought about this a lot lately because my parents frequently fought about money despite being reasonably comfortable. I can only imagine how much worse it is if a household is living paycheck to paycheck.

I think I'd want to keep a separate account, at least for the money I saved and invested prior to the relationship.
Smart move. Get your money straight first and protect it. They say you should never put all your eggs in one basket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 12:20 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Smart move. Get your money straight first and protect it. They say you should never put all your eggs in one basket.
An attitude like this will be exactly why you won't enjoy a lifelong successful marriage. But then, if that's not your goal go right ahead!

Old 09-06-2014, 12:27 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
An attitude like this will be exactly why you won't enjoy a lifelong successful marriage. But then, if that's not your goal go right ahead!

I certainly hope, and for the most part don't see in real life, the stupidity that I see here.

If you go around in life with a certain attitude, you'll never get far.

If you are in a place where you base your life on a "me" and "them" attitude toward the opposite sex, you're in for a long long lonely bitter life.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:29 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I certainly hope, and for the most part don't see in real life, the stupidity that I see here.

If you go around in life with a certain attitude, you'll never get far.

If you are in a place where you base your life on a "me" and "them" attitude toward the opposite sex, you're in for a long long lonely bitter life.
Yep.

My sincere hope is that those who make such inane comments will eventually grow up and embrace a deeper, healthier understanding of relationships

Old 09-06-2014, 12:33 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Yep.

My sincere hope is that those who make such inane comments will eventually grow up and embrace a deeper, healthier understanding of relationships
I don't want to derail the thread too much but every so often I question my thinking and wonder if I'm on the right.

I come and read CD and I realize.

Naw, I'm fine.

Thanks to all the weirdos here, you do society a service after all.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:45 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't want to derail the thread too much but every so often I question my thinking and wonder if I'm on the right.

I come and read CD and I realize.

Naw, I'm fine.

Thanks to all the weirdos here, you do society a service after all.

WORDS OUTTA MY MOUTH!!

Nail on head, Chow.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:54 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Hey loves, you asked me a question a bit ago about why I always argue with you. Look at the above and you have exhibit A.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:09 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times
My husband and I have several accounts for different purposes. I have an account where I keep some of my income to use for obligations that I came into my marriage with and are not my husband's responsibilty. He doesn't see it that way but I want to pay those debts myself.
Only one is our official "joint account" used for bills and daily expenses. But we both have access to the other accounts. There is total transparency.
Sometimes I might make a comment about "his money" or "my money" and he always corrects me. I appreciate his point of view but it's been an adjustment for me to combine our financial lives.
We never fight about money even though we handle it differently. He likes to spend and I like to save.
We compromise by me saving whatever he doesn't spend. Lol.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:09 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
I must say that in those cases there is either a problem with trust, or a problem with managing money.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:17 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
We have all joint accounts. We make all of our financial decisions together. It works for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships