Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:34 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times

Advertisements

Well, say there was a situation that you found out that occurred before you and your SO were dating and just questioned your SO? Maybe they were extremely embarrassed, so they acted in a fit of rage and basically told you to leave their apartment.

You had no one else to talk to about this and confided in a parent/grandparent?

Yes, this situation was sexual.

Now they are basically judging this person, which was a big mistake because you feel uncomfortable dating that person. In fact, your grandparent prays that you leave this person on a regular basis.

You and this person basically reconcile and continue the relationship, but in the back of your mind, you know that your family will always feel this way. So it bothers you and kind of prevents you from giving 100% to the relationship.

Would you tell your SO what you did/fess up to your faux pas to move past this? Or just pretend to let it not bother you..? Even knowing how your family feels about this person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 09:38 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
What?

I have no idea what you are trying to say, your circular description confuses things even more.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
I knew better than to ever discuss my relationship problems with family, especially my parents.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What?

I have no idea what you are trying to say, your circular description confuses things even more.
My SO and I had a heated argument after I confronted him about something I found out. He basically got so upset that he told me to leave. When I arrived back home, my grandmother saw how upset I was and I confided in her. My SO and I reconciled, but now my grandmother does not like this person and prays that we break up. She has even told me this.

I feel torn because I know my grandmother will always feel that way about my SO..and I was wondering if I should tell him, that I've told her this potentially embarrassing piece of information.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I knew better than to ever discuss my relationship problems with family, especially my parents.
I seriously regret it now. I don't know what to do..because it is always in the back of my mind..and it makes me kind of pull back.

I will tell anyone bit of advice this if they ever told me they were considering discussing such personal matters with their family.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:53 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
My SO and I had a heated argument after I confronted him about something I found out. He basically got so upset that he told me to leave. When I arrived back home, my grandmother saw how upset I was and I confided in her. My SO and I reconciled, but now my grandmother does not like this person and prays that we break up. She has even told me this.

I feel torn because I know my grandmother will always feel that way about my SO..and I was wondering if I should tell him, that I've told her this potentially embarrassing piece of information.
So you confronted him about something that happened before you even met or started dating, he got mad, you are wondering why he got mad, you broke up, you got back together AFTER you told your Grandmother and now you wonder if you should tell him that you told your Grandmother about his prior to knowing/dating you escapades?

First you should not have confronted him, then you should not have told Grandma, then you should not have gotten back together because you will in time keep bringing up this issue that was a non issue until you made it an issue and Grandma may say something to him as well so then he will know from Grandma that she knows.

Why would you create such a mess then wonder why he got upset?

Old 09-08-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So you confronted him about something that happened before you even met or started dating, he got mad, you are wondering why he got mad, you broke up, you got back together AFTER you told your Grandmother and now you wonder if you should tell him that you told your Grandmother about his prior to knowing/dating you escapades?

First you should not have confronted him, then you should not have told Grandma, then you should not have gotten back together because you will in time keep bringing up this issue that was a non issue until you made it an issue and Grandma may say something to him as well so then he will know from Grandma that she knows.

Why would you create such a mess then wonder why he got upset?
Basically.

I guess I did confront him. I just asked for verification because I wanted to know. Especially since it involves someone he brings up very often and had mentioned they slept together once. I guess I was a bit jealous. He kept bringing this person up. Their name was on the netflix, he mentioned I should talk to this person about getting help with something and he used this person's resume to fix mine. I guess it was frustrating, so I did a little google search to find out more about this person.

And yes, I keep bringing it up. In fact, I brought it up tonight although this happened almost two years ago.

I really want to move past this, but I feel kind of guilty continuing the relationship knowing how my grandmother feels about him...and my mom too. As I've said before, I will never make this mistake again.

I think it's also hard to move past this because he basically didn't want to talk for a while after I asked a question about this person.

So, should I fess up and tell my SO?

Last edited by nj21; 09-08-2014 at 10:08 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 10:11 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
You definitely need to tell him.

It's affecting your relationship, and he has a right to know. Plus, once he knows the situation will improve a lot! You two will be a united front.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:15 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
what is the thing he did?

It depends, if it was something really bad, something that could really change how you think about him, then you have to adress this and sersiously think about continuing your realtionship

if it was a non issue and only became an issue cause you told your grandma, then you shouldnt tell him and just stay in your relationship despite what your family thinks-

Old 09-08-2014, 10:15 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,457 times
You should at least confront yourself. How could you be so mean to him about something that happened 2 years ago? You owe him a big apology. You owe your grandmother an apology for worrying her. She obviously isn't cut out for hearing news like this, and clearly feels strongly about her version of morals.
You really need to understand that your insecurities and lack of compassion are going to create a toxic enviroment for your your relationship. If you really value your relationship, and your so have some self control. Control your own thoughts, control your own reactions, you can't change whats' already happened. No one deserves that kind of treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships