Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:29 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,384 times

Advertisements

Two issues are arising that I have questions about. The company I work for is having a farewell party for an employee, and then our end of the fiscal year party where there will be an open bar.

While I don't think there is anything wrong with Christians having a drink of alcohol or two, I'm unsure if I should partake of this as it may make others think I'm not a good Christian. On the other hand I may also get the, "oh he's too good for us". Yes I am conflicted...I'll be the first to admit it. Now the final point. I want to further my career and these opportunities will help me to talk with others in a casual, out-of-the-office environment. Should a Christian go to these events, and is it okay to drink alcohol, or simply have a soda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 10:39 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,412,329 times
You really care what people think if you have a beer ? From my experience all the best deals and job related networking (AKA Asskissing) is done over a beer. BTW, did Jesus not drink wine? If its good enough for him its good enough for me

Old 02-23-2007, 10:49 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,384 times
Your response is exactly why I am asking. Thanks for the input!!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:50 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,345,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier67 View Post
Two issues are arising that I have questions about. The company I work for is having a farewell party for an employee, and then our end of the fiscal year party where there will be an open bar.

While I don't think there is anything wrong with Christians having a drink of alcohol or two, I'm unsure if I should partake of this as it may make others think I'm not a good Christian. On the other hand I may also get the, "oh he's too good for us". Yes I am conflicted...I'll be the first to admit it. Now the final point. I want to further my career and these opportunities will help me to talk with others in a casual, out-of-the-office environment. Should a Christian go to these events, and is it okay to drink alcohol, or simply have a soda?
Since you asked, do what you are comfortable doing. If you choose to inbibe, don't get drunk. No one really cares what's in your drinking cup unless you are 1.) a healthcare provider wielding something sharp and potentially painful or 2.) driving a any motor vehicle or 3.) etc Sounds like the events will be fun!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:55 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:

If you're truly concerned about your Christian personna, I would refrain from drinking alcohol. I believe it looks hypocritical, though personally I don't see anything wrong with it.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:34 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
If you're truly concerned about your Christian personna, I would refrain from drinking alcohol. I believe it looks hypocritical, though personally I don't see anything wrong with it.
In all my Christian learning, no place was I taught that you couldn't drink. The only thing mention was it was ok in moderation. Excesive drinking is where you cross the line.

I'd say, enjoy a beer or even a mixed drink. If you have a second one, give your keys to somebody else. If you want a third one, then you've about crossed that imaginary line. Enjoy the party.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:47 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,412,329 times
Exactly jgussler. Nowhere in the bible does it state 'Thou shal not enjoy a six pack of Sam Adams a few times a week'. Any Christian who tells you its not Christian to have a beer needs to stand back, and read the bible again.

Last edited by BrianH; 02-23-2007 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-23-2007, 12:21 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,988,607 times
Quote:

If you like a drink now and then, then have it. If you don't like alcohol occasionally, then don't.
The only thing your co-workers will sense is hypocrisy if you do in fact drink now and then and then don't just to give off the aura of being a "good Christian" when around them.
Do what you always do and don't worry about what it looks like. They don't care, it doesn't affect what Jesus did on the Cross for you, and if you purposefully seek to alter your image falsely, you'll be rightly perceived as a hypocrite.
For me, give me either Bourbon with water on the rocks or a dry vodka Martini with two olives please.
Just remember that whether you'll have a drink or not, you'll see people at office parties who drink too much. Everyone has less respect after those events for people who lose control and go wild and get drunk.
Just use common sense.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:35 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,368,044 times
try a little ruse, show up early, talk to the bartender, ask for a ginger ale with a splash of gin, give a nice tip. Later, just ask "for the same". But if it is an open bar with no bartender, say you dont want to drink. Dont worry about what others think. Leave peer pressure to the kids.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:35 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,097,299 times
Do you know of anyone that would be offended if you had a drink? If not, and you want one, go ahead. If you believe someone is there who doesn't approve, then I believe the Bible says to refrain from anything that might offend them. If you normally do not drink, have a soft drink...it's very unlikely anyone will notice or care.

And it's perfectly ok to go to a business function -- and expected. Be true to your own standards and you'll be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality