Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:57 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,006,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
At this stage of my life, if something were to happen and I was no longer married, I wouldn't be looking to mingle my house or finances with someone else so I guess there would still be no need for a prenup.
How would you keep those separate without a prenup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,113,205 times
I suspect how you go about asking someone to sign a pre nup would have a lot to do with how they might feel about it. If neither of you own any substantial amount of property, it might be as important as it would be if one of you has large assets. You might want to read up on the laws in your state, sometimes a pre nup only protects the assets you have before you marry and those you develop after the marriage are still considered community property. Some states have real different laws, Nevada, for instance has laws on the books that read if the wife doesn't perform the duties of a wife, then when it comes to a settlement, its curtain for her. It is best to talk about and settle many issues that cause problems in a marriage, before you get married.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:54 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,062,917 times
I won't get married without one.

Like a soldier blind in one eye and with my left leg blown clean off (and now I got this prosthetic contraption) I survived one War just barely. Now you want me to go in and do another tour of duty?

We goin' do things a little different this time around...

Old 09-11-2014, 07:58 PM

2,322 posts, read 924,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I suspect how you go about asking someone to sign a pre nup would have a lot to do with how they might feel about it. If neither of you own any substantial amount of property, it might be as important as it would be if one of you has large assets. You might want to read up on the laws in your state, sometimes a pre nup only protects the assets you have before you marry and those you develop after the marriage are still considered community property. Some states have real different laws, Nevada, for instance has laws on the books that read if the wife doesn't perform the duties of a wife, then when it comes to a settlement, its curtain for her. It is best to talk about and settle many issues that cause problems in a marriage, before you get married.
Hmmm. May have to put them Wyoming relocation plans on hold

Old 09-11-2014, 08:06 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,091,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
How would you keep those separate without a prenup?
I wouldn't marry or live with them. Sorry, I guess that wasn't clear.

In my opinion, marriage means meshing your life with someone else which includes households and finances. If I wasn't interested in doing that with someone else again, I'd just not marry that person. I wouldn't ask for or require a prenup.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:15 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,006,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I wouldn't marry or live with them. Sorry, I guess that wasn't clear.

In my opinion, marriage means meshing your life with someone else which includes households and finances. If I wasn't interested in doing that with someone else again, I'd just not marry that person. I wouldn't ask for or require a prenup.
Oh! Yes, I thought you mean the opposite -- that you would marry, but only with someone who didn't want a prenup.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:10 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,872,048 times
I have had cases in my family that there should have been one. There was so much turmoil from the second wife and the step children. I know that if something should happen to my wife, I will probably not remarry but if I did, I would insist on a prenup. I did inherit a tidy sum but would want it to go directly to my daughter with no step children or spouse getting anything. JMHO

Old 09-12-2014, 11:43 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,834,225 times
Rogarven, wouldn't a Living Trust and/or will do the same thing?

I ask, not because I have strong feeling about pre-nups (I am on the fence about them) but because I also have property and an inheritance that will be passed to my children upon my death, as outlined in my Living Trust. Also, my husband's Trust states something similar, wherein his bio child will inherit some of his properties.

Additionally, he is the executor of his grandmother's estate and it clearly specifies that his inheritance goes to my husband and his bio children specifically and not to me or my children.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:05 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,284,075 times
Well for me it's a moot point, since I don't plan to marry. Hypothetically though, if someone came to me with a bunch of papers to sign, I would be insulted that it wasn't a joint effort to have them drawn up.

If I were included in the process, however, then I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:53 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
People always ask, "Ooh, would you sign a prenup?!" "Would you be offended?!" "Is it really love?!"

THE STATE HAS A PRENUP ALL READY FOR YOU IF YOU DIVORCE.
Why not make your own?

Same thing with your assets when you die.
The state has a nice little process whereby they take all your crap and divvy it up the way THEY decide.
That's why you MAKE A WILL.

People get wrapped up in the meaningless emotions and fail to see what's already right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships