Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 04:02 PM

9 posts, read 7,418 times

Advertisements

I've been on a couple online dating sites for a close to a year now and haven't had much luck. However, I recently connected with a guy who seems legit. We've each exchanged several very long emails on the dating site and have chatted on the phone a few times. Also texted as well. We have a date set up soon. In these emails, some personal things have been asked about me, such as whether I want kids, what I do for a living, what my hobbies/interests are, and general questions about my family (e.g. how many siblings, etc). The feeling that I am getting from him is that he's definitely ready to settle down and get married and have kids. Not that I don't want that as long as it's with the right person, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned at all that he might be moving too fast, i.e. thinking too far ahead of himself. I'm not at all exaggerating when I say that he's already started thinking way ahead in terms of future travel plans. Anyway, I know there's not always a clear cut answer when it comes to dating/online dating, but just wondering in general how much info should be exchanged prior to the first date and how much info is too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 04:30 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,187,887 times
Whether you want kids is a very personal question that does have serious implications for the future, but it is also a dealbreaker for many.

So it's good to get that kind of stuff in the open early. That way you don't waste your time (or your emotions) getting involved with someone who, come to find out, does NOT want the same things you want.

I don't see a problem with any of the other questions you listed.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:32 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,992,794 times
No it's important. Op what are your ages?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:00 PM

We're both 32.

Wmsn4Life, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with those other questions either. I'm just wondering if there are certain things that seem like too much, too soon when communicating prior to the first date. He's already started to make lists of countries we should travel to.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:18 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,187,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinecraft View Post
We're both 32.

Wmsn4Life, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with those other questions either. I'm just wondering if there are certain things that seem like too much, too soon when communicating prior to the first date. He's already started to make lists of countries we should travel to.
The "we" part is pretty presumptuous.

Next time he does it, just say something like, "I think we should go out on an actual date before we plan any overseas adventures."

Old 09-17-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The "we" part is pretty presumptuous.
Hahaha you got that right. Buddy needs to slow down a little. It just has me wondering what other future plans he has already made in his head.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:57 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,026,621 times
Quote:
I've been on a couple online dating sites for a close to a year now and haven't had much luck. However, I recently connected with a guy who seems legit. We've each exchanged several very long emails on the dating site and have chatted on the phone a few times. Also texted as well. We have a date set up soon. In these emails, some personal things have been asked about me, such as whether I want kids, what I do for a living, what my hobbies/interests are, and general questions about my family (e.g. how many siblings, etc). The feeling that I am getting from him is that he's definitely ready to settle down and get married and have kids. Not that I don't want that as long as it's with the right person, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned at all that he might be moving too fast, i.e. thinking too far ahead of himself. I'm not at all exaggerating when I say that he's already started thinking way ahead in terms of future travel plans. Anyway, I know there's not always a clear cut answer when it comes to dating/online dating, but just wondering in general how much info should be exchanged prior to the first date and how much info is too much?
Be open with those question saving your time and protecting you from getting hurt. Did you ask what you are willing to know from him?

Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,167,053 times
Quote:
I hate when I get those questions from someone on the 1st phone conversation because to me it just screams desperation. She doesn't even know if we will connect once we meet face to face so those questions about kids and marriage should not be asked that early in the getting to know process.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:41 PM

37,166 posts, read 42,351,186 times
You won't know anything until you meet. This could all be "fantasy role playing" or it could be a real connection. If you don't want to reveal too much, or think things are jumping too far ahead, you can slow it down by directing the conversation to more neutral subjects. As long as you have a date to meet soon (SOON) it shouldn't matter.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:43 PM

Not to sound prude or anything--maybe I just don't know too much about some Dos and Don'ts of online dating--but he asked me what my last name is and I jokingly said he'd find out eventually. Honestly when it comes to online dating and meeting someone for the first time, I'm all about safety first. Once he knows my full name, a simple search on the internet using my full name, city of residence, and my profession can give away my exact work location. I'm not okay with that. Am I being unreasonable not wanting to tell him my last name before we ever even meet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships