Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:07 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times

Advertisements

Nope. I've never been asked why I'm single when I'm single, and I can't recall ever being asked why I'm not married.

Perhaps that says a lot about me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 08:26 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I've been told by a few female friends that I friendzone myself. I'm shy around new people, and can sometimes act awkward, even if I don't mean to. It takes awhile to get comfortable around a new group/person to act completely myself -- but when I finally am myself, people love me (I go out of my way to help my friends, cook, bake, clean, fix things, am a great listener and cheerleader, etc) and I don't ask for much of anything in return.

Problem is since it takes a few weeks (months?) for me to be really comfortable around them, I lose my shot and become a close friend, while they move on to someone else.

On top of that, it seems like it's a lot of girls already in relationships are the ones who actually see me for me and like me. I'm up to three so far this year who have taken "interest" in me, including one last week who made a move, but they're all taken.

Meh.

These same girls say some day there's going to be a girl who falls head over heels for me and she's going to be the luckiest girl alive. Cheers to that "someday" being sometime in the 201x's. Last girl I could actually call my girlfriend was in the beginning of 2011, and that's the last action I got too..........
Keep the faith, bro. And a 3-year dry spell is par for the course for a lot of women, from what I've observed and been told. Even for some dudes. If you have women friends who see your good side, your chances of being introduced to potential gf's increase.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:28 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Nope. I've never been asked why I'm single when I'm single, and I can't recall ever being asked why I'm not married.

Perhaps that says a lot about me.
It says a lot about your friends and family, that they have the good sense to mind their own business.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
It says a lot about your friends and family, that they have the good sense to mind their own business.

Yeah, we don't ask about this type of stuff, its pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme. People volunteer or they don't.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:31 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,281,457 times
I took a time off dating before I met my last ex. My father and step-mother would always ask if I had a boyfriend yet. It made me that more determined to NOT have a boyfriend.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I took a time off dating before I met my last ex. My father and step-mother would always ask if I had a boyfriend yet. It made me that more determined to NOT have a boyfriend.

Do you think this is a gender thing? My mother never once has asked me if I'm dating anyone, not from high school to now.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:44 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,024 times
people are more accepting of it nowadays, but I do get the occasional questions. if they are rude/pushy about it, my common reply is "my personal life is none of your damn business"

I couldn't care less what anyone thinks and I am past that point of trying to explain "why" to everyone. why is does it matter? how does it affect your life in any way if I am "perma-single"?

99 problems but a ***** ain't one

Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
I get asked now and then why I am single... last time was at a wedding. My answer was, "leave me alone... I've already been married and I have a child. Shouldn't you be asking the bride and groom to be when they are going to start having kids or something." (because you know, after they stop bugging you about being single, they start bugging you about getting married, followed by bugging you about having kids, then when you are going to have the next one, etc). Some people are just that way.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:08 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,952 times
one good reason to stay single is money, being in a relationship will cost a lot of your time and money, all those dates , dinners, trips, gifts add up to a lot of money, just having casual acquaintances is good enough for me.

some people like to live a simple life without all the annoyances that go with relationships or having a bf / gf

when a person has limited free time, maybe they rather do something else than worry about having a bf / gf

maybe when you were back in high school or college, it would make you feel left out because all your friends were getting married, but it passes and you get over that and it becomes less important as you move on in life.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:47 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
The only one who does this is my uncle, except for a couple of ex-friends. My mother hassles me about my career instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships