Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 05:37 PM

11 posts, read 21,128 times

Advertisements

I've gotten it about an infinite amount of times in my lifetime...like I couldn't even count it at this point. I'm talking about people constantly wondering why I've never had a girlfriend

People meet me, they consider me to be handsome, nice, caring, masculine and can clearly see that I'm very successful and ambitious in my work so they're just astonished that I cannot find a woman. This lady who approached me on Saturday was the same way - she was all over me and she goes "I just don't get it, are girls your age not forward at all? You're just perfect".

I don't know what to say at this point. Biggest thing at this point for me is my shyness and my defeatist attitude towards dating. No amount of positive encouragement from outside sources can seemingly change my incredibly negative view towards dating. I don't know how to convey this to people so I just try to make up silly excuses for when they ask me why I'm single
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 05:44 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,527,616 times
No. They seem to have accepted it for what it is. I get no pressure about it at all.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:52 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,206,818 times
I have heard it a few times. Not infinite, but it's annoying when it comes up.

1. Had a guy ask why I didn't have a boyfriend since I had the looks and body-he didn't ask me out, so I fail to see why he cared.

2. My ex friend and I were both similar and didn't have boyfriends. But she got one before me. She liked to talk about him, which was cool. But then the convo got to me, with her asking "have you met any guys yet." I simply said no, but she wanted to drag it out and ask "Why?"

3. Had another girl who sat beside me in HS ask why I had no boyfriend

4. Had step-grandmother whisper to my mother if I had a boyfriend

5. Then I had an uncle who asks if I met anyone, and trying to get me to come stay with him a while so he can fix me up.

If there's more examples, I don't recall.

But when I hear the question, asking why I don't, I just shrug and reply "Idk, ugly I guess.", then I go about my business Guess that's what they wanna hear Why else would they ask?

Old 09-18-2014, 05:55 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,029,608 times
Used to, but not anymore with some of the stuff they've watched happen to me. They don't bring it up anymore.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:08 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,154,143 times
Yes, and many people assume I want to be single because of it.
I've had an acquaintance tell me it was depressing to learn I am single but don't want to be, because then there's less hope for others if even I cannot find someone.

I guess it's a compliment, but I know why I am single. It's not a mystery, and it's not because there is something so wrong with all the guys out there. I AM particular, but about stuff that matters (not unreasonable about looks or income or whatever). I DO have an unusual personality, as my currently active thread explains (cerebral, arty, solitary), and I DO have some unusual spiritual/religious beliefs.

I also have had issues with shyness & not being motivated to socialize a lot. I most often get told I need to be more aggressive with men, but it's just not my nature (attraction doesn't work like that for me). I'm not as shy as I used to be and am pretty active socially, but I blanch at the idea of chasing someone down. I honestly rarely, if ever, come across anyone who would inspire such action..... Those who want to date me don't appeal to me enough.

I do suffer from the "anyone I REALLY find attractive is probably too good for me" syndrome too.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:23 PM

156 posts, read 137,899 times
To coin the new and trendy catch phrase.....

"I'm a hot mess"....

The most stubborn person you ever met in your life. I'll even refuse medical attention when needed. Makes the women close to me "Mom, Sister, Aunt" very angry....

I'mma just sit here and bleed a spell, ok?

----------------

Old 09-18-2014, 06:42 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,743,217 times
Lol yeah.

As a matter of fact my mother is trying her hardest to set me up with her classmates son.

My friends and family harass me all the time about guys and relationships. My mother loves to say I am going to be living with her until I am 95, and my brother is keeps telling me I am going to be single all my life, I really don't care, because I have witnessed their relationships and they are train wrecks lol. They think I am so sad and lonely, but I am quite the opposite. Where I am from people started dating when they were teenagers. They believe in being with people you don't even like simply because they will take care of you. Even if it's one sided.

I am a nonconformist and I live for me, no one else. I just wish they would get over the fact that I am not like most people this day and age. I would've thought my mom would be happy I was not like the typical teenager. With the very real dangers of STDs and unwanted pregnancies today, I would probably be happy if my daughter was like me. Some guy even said it was sad that I was single because he thinks I am so "cute." It really doesn't matter.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:03 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,123,811 times
I had people ask every once in a blue moon if I'm seeing someone. Fortunately, I don't get asked about my relationship status on a constant basis. They just assume (rightly so) that I have more important concerns than having dating options at the moment.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:10 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,743,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe'sTavern View Post
I had people ask every once in a blue moon if I'm seeing someone. Fortunately, I don't get asked about my relationship status on a constant basis. They just assume (rightly so) that I have more important concerns than having dating options at the moment.
You're married to me...don't you remember? lol

Old 09-18-2014, 07:16 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,123,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
You're married to me...don't you remember? lol
I vaguely remember being wasted and standing inside of some kind of church. As for what went on in said church, I have no clue. If you say we're married, than I guess that's how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships