Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:44 AM

13 posts, read 45,780 times

Advertisements

It’s been a month since I’ve been talking to this guy. We are both 26 years old. We plan on hanging out soon. We text every day with either him or I initiating it first. We sometimes talk on the phone before we go to bed as well. Call me weird, but I’m already liking this guy and I find myself opening up about myself. I don’t usually open up easily, but with him, I find myself doing it. He knows I’m interested in him. And he hasn’t said it, but I assume he does to if he’s having a conversation with me almost the entire day at times during his work.

Last night we were texting, and this time it was different. I was about to tell him that I like him, but I stopped myself. And he knew I was going to say the same, so he tells me not to say it. He says, don’t say it. Guard your heart. I asked him if I should guard my heart from HIM as well. He replies, yes, especially at this stage and especially since he’s a guy. I told him okay. I guess this bothered me in a bit because it was the answer I needed but didn’t want to hear. He gives me confused signals. He texts me first thing in the morning before he goes to work almost every day. He texts me throughout the day asking me what I’m up to etc. He texts me at night before he goes to sleep. When I say I’m going out at night with friends, he would jokingly say things like my curfew is at a certain time etc. And he would ask me who I’m going out with. I mean why is he saying things like to guard my heart from him yet I THINK he likes me? Should I just let him go??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 05:49 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny85 View Post
It’s been a month since I’ve been talking to this guy. We are both 26 years old. We plan on hanging out soon. We text every day with either him or I initiating it first. We sometimes talk on the phone before we go to bed as well. Call me weird, but I’m already liking this guy and I find myself opening up about myself. I don’t usually open up easily, but with him, I find myself doing it. He knows I’m interested in him. And he hasn’t said it, but I assume he does to if he’s having a conversation with me almost the entire day at times during his work.

Last night we were texting, and this time it was different. I was about to tell him that I like him, but I stopped myself. And he knew I was going to say the same, so he tells me not to say it. He says, don’t say it. Guard your heart. I asked him if I should guard my heart from HIM as well. He replies, yes, especially at this stage and especially since he’s a guy. I told him okay. I guess this bothered me in a bit because it was the answer I needed but didn’t want to hear. He gives me confused signals. He texts me first thing in the morning before he goes to work almost every day. He texts me throughout the day asking me what I’m up to etc. He texts me at night before he goes to sleep. When I say I’m going out at night with friends, he would jokingly say things like my curfew is at a certain time etc. And he would ask me who I’m going out with. I mean why is he saying things like to guard my heart from him yet I THINK he likes me? Should I just let him go??
Actions speak louder than words, but in this case his words are very telling.

The bolded part above ^^ is pretty disturbing.

To me, that says he is not really going to be accountable for his actions. Why even say that? Does he think that men are incapable of controlling their behavior? Did you ask him what he meant by that? It certainly was a warning, but why?

I've had a guy do all the things you describe here yet deny that he had any romantic interest in me. It happens. You should guard your heart. You don't know him. You're letting your feelings overpower your brain here.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:51 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
It could just be that he has a track record of not committing or being very wishy washy towards commitment. He likely doesn't want to hurt you, which is why he's saying be on alert with his actions.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:55 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,945,242 times
I work with a guy who goes out to dinner and calls a girl constantly but insists they are just friends. I asked if he kissed her and he said yes. I'm like, "Dude! She's your girlfriend!!"

Nope. Isn't official I guess.

Sounds like you are getting all wrapped up emotionally and don't even hang out in person.

I'd tell him to stop texting you.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:59 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
So you've never met him? Maybe he's just a realist and realizes that you should not be confirming feelings about each other until you actually meet and confirm there's chemistry? He seems like a pretty smart guy to me if that's the case.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:22 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
He's giving you a warning.

He likes you, but he knows that he probably will not commit to you, but doesn't want to come right out and say so. Therefore, he's dropping hints.

I've met these types before. They lead you on with lots of long conversations and spending a lot of time with you. Then they act surprised when you want a commitment.

These guys like to use women to stroke their egos. They like having women attracted to them and wanting to be with them. Then they toss you away after they've finished playing games with you--but they can still tell themselves that they did nothing wrong because, after all, they never SAID that there was anything serious developing between you. It's your fault for jumping to that conclusion because of their actions.

Seriously, these types will do nothing but disappoint you.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:57 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
You've never met. This is all fake until you meet.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:15 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
At first I was going to say that the guy sounded like he was warning the OP that he was a cad, but after reading this--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
So you've never met him? Maybe he's just a realist and realizes that you should not be confirming feelings about each other until you actually meet and confirm there's chemistry? He seems like a pretty smart guy to me if that's the case.
--I agree with Robert. They are pen pals who have not met in person. He may just be saying not to fall in love with an idea rather than the real him.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:19 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny85 View Post

You need to focus on the real world not a current text fantasy.
After you meet face to face is the best time to determine if you
will go out again and if you really do like this guy.

Until then quit dreaming of forever with your phantom man.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:02 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,230,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You've never met. This is all fake until you meet.

You beat me to it. I'm curious to know why after a month of "talking" they haven't met yet? I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a GF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships