Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:04 AM

9 posts, read 6,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think that's greyhounds. Danes gallop around and need room to run. (I grew up with them.)

Also, "pork soda"? :shudder:
name of an album from 20 years ago

Primus - Pork Soda (1993) Full Album - YouTube

Old 09-22-2014, 07:08 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,769,764 times
I know, the thought just makes me gag.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:16 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,103,847 times
Is getting her to belch at the table REALLY the part of "you" that you want her to emulate??

Old 09-22-2014, 07:36 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,459,412 times
You should break up with her, simply because she doesn't like your dog, and she is trying to change you.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,696,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Great Danes are also huge but are considered one of the best apartment dogs simply because they require little activity and space and are so content just lounging around.
It's not the being huge, it's the being slobbery. And you're thinking of greyhounds, who are docile, low-energy dogs when they're not coursing for prey, and while long-legged, are not massive dogs with a huge need for space. Great Danes, St. Bernards, Boxers, etc. are too large and high energy for apartment dwelling to be the most appropriate setting. I do have neighbors who keep a Great Dane in a small place, and they have to walk him an average of two hours a day.

I can see somebody being not that cool with sharing an apartment with a St. Bernard. However, I would have a hard time marrying somebody who wasn't into dogs, in general.

OP, neither of you is going to change significantly. You are who you are. Which is not to say that you can't cultivate table manners, or that she can't quit being rude and making nasty comments about a beloved pet. But if you try to make her enjoy being crass or ungroomed, or she tries to make you care about preppy pursuits (whatever those are, anyway), get used to disappointment. You an adjust your behavior for a loved one if you are doing things that upset him or her. You cannot change your values or personality, though, and shouldn't have to.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:52 AM

102,266 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

OP, neither of you is going to change significantly. You are who you are. Which is not to say that you can't cultivate table manners, or that she can't quit being rude and making nasty comments about a beloved pet. But if you try to make her enjoy being crass or ungroomed, or she tries to make you care about preppy pursuits (whatever those are, anyway), get used to disappointment. You an adjust your behavior for a loved one if you are doing things that upset him or her. You cannot change your values or personality, though, and shouldn't have to.
Agree! Frankly, OP, I don't think it sounds promising . It sounds like you two are not compatible people in your core values. If these annoyances are at this level now, it's not going to get any better after marriage unless you two get pre-marital counseling. Which isn't a bad idea in general. For example, have you two discussed financial goals and spending habits? Are you on the same page re: kids? We already know you're not on the same page re: pets.

How long an engagement is this? You might want to extend it, while you sort things out. Honestly, she sounds like she looks down her nose at you. And you sound like you deliberately try to provoke her with your belching. This isn't a match made in heaven.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:38 PM

9 posts, read 6,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Agree! Frankly, OP, I don't think it sounds promising . It sounds like you two are not compatible people in your core values. If these annoyances are at this level now, it's not going to get any better after marriage unless you two get pre-marital counseling. Which isn't a bad idea in general. For example, have you two discussed financial goals and spending habits? Are you on the same page re: kids? We already know you're not on the same page re: pets.

How long an engagement is this? You might want to extend it, while you sort things out. Honestly, she sounds like she looks down her nose at you. And you sound like you deliberately try to provoke her with your belching. This isn't a match made in heaven.
I will admit to doing certain things just to get a rise out of here, but she does that to me as well. She knows I don't like being around my parents, but every so often I'll get woken up with " Tonight we're going to dinner with your parents", but she's kidding. My response is waiting until she gets comfy on the couch and telling the dog to go find her. He ends up on the couch next to her trying to lick her face. Kid wise, she wants them sooner than I do and she wants more than I do, but yeah, we both want children

Old 09-22-2014, 02:08 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,662,878 times
Never trust anyone who doesn't like animals.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:13 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,286,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Never trust anyone who doesn't like animals.
I know! How could she not love a doggie who loves her?

Old 09-22-2014, 02:22 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,980,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I know! How could she not love a doggie who loves her?
because dogs are ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships